Color vs natural?

I am sure this must have been on the board somewhere before.

How has it worked for everyone?

I know color attracks people and people like to decorate their rooms with color but do you think no dye candles would sell better too?

:confused:

My soy is usually undyed that way it can go in any room nicely but I colour my paraffin.

I do want to try some liquid dyes in some of the soy tho just haven't got around to it yet.

Presentation also attracts people to products regardless of it's colour. So it's worth experimenting with that too.

Sally.

We do put color in our paraffin candles...no color in the soy...but we have not been selling long enough to be able to see if one is more popular than the other....sorry.

It is so much easier not doing color. We made up our "color recipes" for six jars, so trying to do just one or two for an order doesn't work very well.

As a buyer, tho, I prefer the color.

Aren't I a big help?!?! :laugh2:

I like no color but alot of people do like it. Sometimes uncolored strawberry jam doesn't really smell like strawberry jam. It's a mind game. I made a pillar once that was scented with pomegranate but the guy wanted it purple in color. Purple pomegranate smelled like grape kool-aid to me and I'm the one who mixed it. Mind game. Ginger

I started out with color but went natural after the first year of pouring soy. The natural color of soy is so pretty that to me it just made sense.

As for how customers feel about it, for the most part I think my customers prefer natural ....my sales actually increased when I went natural. But there are some customers who equate color with scent..they smell my candles and actually will ask if it's scented...as soon as you say yes, and tell them the scent they say "Oh, now I can smell it" Customers like this are few and far between but it does happen.

You're right in a sense about it being a mind game. You create memories with your sense of smell and color. So a fragrance can remind you of a color and vice versa.

I use color in both my soy and parrafin candles. And my soap too. I also have some that are 'natural' with no color added. I prefer color so thats probably why I do use color. But I do have customers tell me they love the colors of my products-- including the 'white' soaps and candles.

Great answers!

My daughter suggested to me to try both and see what happens. Make a few of the same scent, with color and natural and see what happens. But as a buyer also, I like color too. But natural too. What to do, what to do??LOL:laugh2:

IMO....if you aren't color blind...colors sells. Why do you buy clothes?....Color attracts the eye. Ivory candles are always a good seller, but people love colors....all of them...that is why I mix them up. Walk onto a car lot and tell a salesman that you only want a green car.....bet you end up buying a red one. If the price is right........Most people think in color. I make up my own.....just because. My favorite color candle is gold. I looks so pretty when it is burning and when it isn't. But of course I have all of the colors because I am always testing. When I have a table full of red, blue, green, gold, white....it is spectacular....but most people don't' burn 20 candles of different colors at the same time. I love my experiments....(smile) Donita

The only time I use color is in my votives and tarts. My soy containers I leave natural and I have never had any problem selling them. I do however dress my containers up, insted of selling just a jar.

As a landlord, it gets tiring going into rental units and seeing spilled wax on carpets. Usually it is red, blues and greens and the dye stains the carpet, even if you can get the majority of wax up. One thing with a natural color wax, you don't have the bad stains. We have done some experimenting with this where we took an old piece of carpet, poured hot wax on it and then tried to clean it up. The soy wax always cleaned up with no lasting effects. You could always use that as a selling point if need be, but it never came to that.

My experience with dyes is this....if it's soy we don't color them because most soy waxes don't color well. I realize that some soy waxes will dye well initially but usually they don't hold up well(the color fades) and our customers don't like that. So we asked our customers if it matters to them if they are dyed or not and most say that it doesn't matter as long as it burns well and smells good. To our customers,scent is more important to them than is color...go figure???? So that is how we approach dying our soy candles.

However,I like color and now that we are doing palm candles we do color them and that seems to be doing very well indeed. Soy....no color added.....palm wax...add color.

Mike

I agree with Gingers mind game theory. Very interesting. I think food would suddenly be very bland if it all came in white and beige. (Might not be a bad idea for me though!:rolleyes2 ) But I definitly think the natural colors can look very elegant and sophisticated. I guess my preference is color.

Karen-I would probably be one of those customers that couldn't smell an uncolored candle.:confused:

We have done some experimenting with this where we took an old piece of carpet, poured hot wax on it and then tried to clean it up. The soy wax always cleaned up with no lasting effects. You could always use that as a selling point if need be, but it never came to that.

Okay actually just had this just happen for real though and I was so thankful there was no color in it and it was soy. lol one twin was messing around and down went the lite candle, thankfully the flame went out as it hit the ground.

I don't use color in my container candles anymore. You'll find that half of the people prefer it not to be colored and half will ask why you don't color it (but they'll still buy!) If you want to go "natural color" you might need to rename certain fo's in order to prevent the mind game. It is true when you see the name Strawberry, you expect to see a red candle, but if you change the name to Sentual Fruit (or whatever!) the mind doesn't think red. JMO!

I use color but I always leave it up to the customer! They realize it will have to be ordered and usually they end up buying the colored one!:grin2:

I have a craft show in the Fall and plan to leave some uncolored then I have it covered! HTH Kimmeroo