trendy or boring??

Angelam

My friend saw today at Bloomingdales that they sell only natural colored candles. (like a cream color) in all different scents. Do you think it is trendy, or boring? And I wonder if they (or anyone for that matter) would sell more if they were in different colors?

I make some of my best sellers in both colored and natural/un-colored. Some of my customers don't like the color I make them in, because it wont go with their decor, so they choose the un-colored, so it will match in any room.

I find I am having better sales with the un-colored. I may start offering more scents in un-colored.

I must really live in an area that hates any change, because I tried no color candles and I couldn't move them for anything. I than remelted them all and colored them and they started selling. I would rather not use color to save $$$$ but than I would be out of business. I think it is worth a try you just never know what kinda trend you will start.

Candle Man with another great answer!

I think it's a trendy thing. Cream colors go with everything and anything, and there's a big home decor kick because of all those renovation shows.

There's also a health nut kick over 'color' too, so it's two separate markets satisfied by the same product.

I agree with Candleman. I don't think it's a trend or a fad just preference. I have 3 people who help me test candles. One who loves the natural color because she doesn't have to worry about matching her decor, one who prefers colors and one who doesn't care as long as the candle smells awesome. I prefer the uncolored in jars because I think it looks more up scale, if in the right jar (I don't like the uncolored look in jelly jars).

I've been testing for about 9 months and only do dye free because it's easier. But eventually I like to offer 2 lines of candles with the same scents---one dye free and one with colors. Then I can try to appeal to more people:smiley2:

Shine

I started out coloring mine, but now I sell only dye-free ... customers love them.

Here's their reasoning ... they buy soy for pureness, and the color dye contaminates the pureness (they don't want to breath in the dye chemicals - asthma, etc.).

I can follow this reasoning, however, the fo also contaminates the pure soy ... so, go figure. But, that's what sells to my customers, in my area, so I can't argue with that.

The candles at Bloomingdale's are all upscale brands that sell for serious money. Most of the those products are undyed. It's one of the things the customers in that market segment are used to. For a different market it might not fit expectations as well.

Why are upscale candles so expensive...? Are they really made that much better then what we can make? :tongue2:

Why are upscale candles so expensive...? Are they really made that much better then what we can make? :tongue2:

The 'upscale' candle is really no different than what you and I make other than the packaging and a clientelle that will buy them! Actually I will say, alot of us 'home candlemakers' make a way higher quality candle than those upscale makers, they just put the hefty price tag on it and put it in a fancy box and get some ultra ritzy store to carry them and voila...they have an upscale candle!

A definate color. Not one single person has ever said I want white only. Strange but this week-ends show a lady said I buy colors for the decor of my home. She got a few candles for 4 rooms. She never said I want white to go with everything. She and I like the colored. If someone says strawberry I know right where to go. If all white have to look at about every label unless they are in a certain order. This past show I was constantly rearranging the scents.

For exclusive candles??? People want reasonable and quality at shows. Not the ritzy candles at all. In fact the way people were complimenting me on my items I think my products were ritzy and smelled out of sight. People could not make up their minds. They liked all of them. Wanted to know where my shop was??? I feel that is the next thing. A shop. I have packaged my candles, put bows on and put in cello bags with hang tags and they stay on the shelf but the plain 8 ounce(without being exclusive) go all the time.

LynnS