Misty creek molds

Lorrie

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use freezer paper. Along with the mold comes this lining template. You just fold the freezer paper around it a certain way (comes with picture instructions)...pop it in the mold, pull the sides back up, make a few creases in your mitered corners and tape it down (cutting away extra if necessary).

Donna

Thank you for the information. I was really concerned about lining it because I have done the garbage bag thing and well I hate that it has wrinkles all over the soap. I don't mind if it is for my own use but I don't want to sell soap that way.

I have a 16 bar too and don't really care for it. I find lining it difficult. It just takes me along time compared to my log molds which are much easier. I guess I have decided I just prefer log molds to slab molds.

I do like the ease of cutting though!!

Ann M

I love mine too and yes the freezer paper and the template is just great.

For those that have this mold what do you cover it with when you put your soap to bed? Right now I settle for a plastic placematte since I can't get my saran wrap or press and seal to work right on this mold. TIA

I cover my 32 bar MC molds with heavy acrylic cutting boards. The 16 bar mold doesn't have a lid yet..:cry2: but I'm looking for a board for that one! Been using a flat rate priority mail box. Sh-h-h-h-h! Don't tell the post office! :D

I love the dimension of the bars in these molds and the ease of lining. Wouldn't be without them. Considering purchasing another small one for half batches.

For those that have this mold what do you cover it with when you put your soap to bed? Right now I settle for a plastic placematte since I can't get my saran wrap or press and seal to work right on this mold. TIA

The first time I used the 32 bar mold, I covered it with just a unfolded flat rate box and got MAJOR ash. Now I use either a piece of Sarah Wrap or I take this cheap HDPE cutting board (it's the same material as a Kelsie) and put it on top of the soap, it's pretty big and I just toss a small blanket over that.

I haven't used the press and seal since my first incident with it... LOL!!

It might be easier to use with the 16 bar mold, but I haven't tried it yet.

Edited to add: I see Brenda and I have "our own" uses for USPS boxes.. HA HA!!

I cut them while still in the lining paper. I just pre-slit the edges of the paper that show above the soap, leave my masking tape pieces in place so the cutter bar doesn't drag the paper liner through the edge of the bars, and then cut right through the soap and the rest of the liner.

Then I remove the tape, slap a cutting board over the entire cut batch, and flip it over so I can peel the paper off. I know some take the whole slab out and peel it, putting it back in the mold to cut. I've never tried that, since my method always works for me (especially for soft soap!)

I cut them while still in the lining paper. I just pre-slit the edges of the paper that show above the soap, leave my masking tape pieces in place so the cutter bar doesn't drag the paper liner through the edge of the bars, and then cut right through the soap and the rest of the liner.

Then I remove the tape, slap a cutting board over the entire cut batch, and flip it over so I can peel the paper off. I know some take the whole slab out and peel it, putting it back in the mold to cut. I've never tried that, since my method always works for me (especially for soft soap!)

Thanks Brenda. Flipping it over is where I am screwing up. I need to find a big cutting board before I do another batch.

I have a 16 (well, 2 of them) that I line with freezer paper. I don't flip mine over. After I cut in the mold I make sure the tape is all undone around the edges and then kinda lift the whole thing out - I might have to kinda slide it out but I've never had a problem. If your soap is too soft perhaps you can just wait another day? (I find I get neater cuts too, if it's not too soft). Then I peel each bar off of the paper that is underneath it. I don't cover mine with saran or anything - I end up with wrinkles if I do and then I'm pissed. I do top the mold with either the lid I bought with one of my molds or a cutting board I have that's bigger than the mold - bot insulate great.

I primarily use the larger molds. I wish I could get away from "the flip" but trying to lift out 32 bars with the edges of the freezer paper just doesn't work for me. I tried it ONCE and had an avalanche of bars. :o It was an ugly scene!

I can see it working for the 16 bar mold though. I'll give it a go next time I use the small mold. :)

My hub made me a lid to fit over inside the rim of the mold. I wrap the bottom of the lid with saran wrap and it works perfect.

I do the same thing to cut and get my bars out. Easy peasy!! lol