Misty creek molds

Lorrie

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just ordered one myself. But she also noted this on my invoice:

Note:Hi Kelly,

We at Misty Creek will be taking a long vacation beginning in May, and would like to wrap up our outstanding invoices. If you are still interested in purchasing this item, please let us know.

Thanks, Aimee, Misty Creek

So if you want one you better order very soon!

Did ya get it??!! I went hope to check at lunch and guess what was sitting on my front porch??!!!:D

Got the used on on Friday and I got the two new ones Yesterday!! I made my very first batch of soap on Sunday. I am soooo in love with these molds!!!!

Now, I just need to stock up on soapmaking oils and lye. I will be one happy camper for a long time!

Jovianne (my partner) and I Finally got our mold last week. Have not poured it yet can ya believe it!! Hopefully going to do it this week!!

Very nice mold. We ordered the 16 bar kit.

Okay question for those of you that have this.

We are usuing kraft soap boxes for ours, and I have noticed that mold looks to make a pretty large bar, so those of you who use boxes, do you have to order a larger size box?

Also dies the lid that comes with the mold prevent the ashing on top of the soap? When I used my log mold I always had ash but it was easy to cut off the tops. I am thinking the lids prevents this?

Ummm is there a trick to cutting? Somehow I managed to cut my bars crooked.:o Only me, I swear........

What I did is placed the knife right tight to the sloy side and used that as my guide. Mine came out prefect except I had two bars that had rounded corners but that wasn't a cutting issue. It was a lining issue.

Ok another question. On the 16-Bar Mold, Aimee told us 5-6# but I have seen mentioned throught other threads that that yields a way total big bar. How many # do you typicaly do for the 16? I was thinking maybe 5# for a bar that is 1 1/4" Definatley not quite 11/2". What would you suggest?

Tess, do you have the specs? I have a 24 bar, similar to the Misty but the bars are 3.5 x 2.5. 6# gives me 1.25 bars. My 18 bar Kelsei took 4#, but they were 2x3.

The formula is length x width x height x .4 = total oils.

Tess, 3 1/2 lbs (oil wt) makes a perfect size bar. :D

Yes, 3.5lbs oils is perfect. I use to use 4lbs but the bars were too thick for the soap boxes. I cut back 1/2lb and the bar fit the boxes but are still thick enough that I can use my soap planer if I have to.

So far I've used the divider and make two 2lb batches at once. Still waiting for the bars to cure, still haven't cleaned em up so I'm not sure what the actual size will be but I don't use the boxes either. Oh yeah and one 2lb batch with chunks thrown in makes 16 perfect sized bars, lol.:D

I know I'm weird and anal, but I couldn't bear my bars not to be cut straight. I got a tiny level from home depot (part of a 2-pack which is perfect because I immediately lost 1) and glued one to my knife. It came off, but the glue left a nice place for it to balance while I cut.

ROFL! I second (or is it third?) the level idea! I've had some wonky cuts going on with the slab mold. This is what I did today....

Using a paring knife, I slit the freezer paper down to the level of the soap and then all the way through the paper on the outside. I went into the garage and "borrowed" a level from DH. It just *happened* to be right there! I got the soap knife positioned into the first slot just a little bit...and then I pulled the knife towards me, and the mold against my tummy, so that the knife was against the wood on both sides. I laid the level on the knife. (Don't they make tiny levels that you could screw onto the knife?? I must look at Lowe's!) I adjusted so that the two bubbles were level and then slowly cut down, watching those bubbles the whole way down. I was kind of shocked. What *my eyes* thought was level was WAY off. LOL. The two batches I cut today are so straight it isn't funny.

:D

Donna