International FO Shipping Issues - what are we gonna do???

katinka

Yeah, i came across this trouble last night, it's a bit of a nightmare. I've got all these scent samples from US suppliers which i was gonna test and see about buyin more of, but i can't now!! And after being used to US prices and the massive range of scents available, not to mention their complexity - i'm just not at all sure i can switch back to UK oils.

Not all the sites have cancelled USPS for FOs yet, but i'm wandering if they will soon enough.

So any ideas on what UK people are doing would be great!!!!

I don't really think becoming a supplier would be a very good idea, because there are not too many of us here "in the rest of the world":grin2: and maybe it won't be worth all the effort and money if you don't sell enough.

And I'm not really keen on supplying all kinds of people who only do this for a hobby (please don't misunderstand me - USA is really big, there's obviously room for all of you, but not here in Germany, e.g.:cool2:) who don't want to pay a fair price for the supplies (most people here tend to buy only the cheapest things, they don't care for quality) and if, just buy 15 ml of one or two oils and that's it.

I'm trying samples from different manufacturers here in Europe all the time, but noboby seems to get the oils right, most of them smell terrible and fake. How can they sell such oils???

My understanding...US Companies are still able to ship via USPS International - but only ship those FO's that have minimum 200+ flashpoint. (this is the company's choice to do so though) Until USPS changes that ruling with the 200+ flashpoint...our company will continue to ship them via USPS Priority or Global Express as we always have.

Thanks!!

Kim

Fragrance Oil Heaven

I have searched and searched the USPS regs for anything "new" as to shipping fo's. Why all of the concern this week? I see nothing new at the post office. It just seems strange to me that suppliers are all of the sudden changing their policies....like the USPS has changed something. I don't see it anywhere!

I have searched and searched the USPS regs for anything "new" as to shipping fo's. Why all of the concern this week? I see nothing new at the post office. It just seems strange to me that suppliers are all of the sudden changing their policies....like the USPS has changed something. I don't see it anywhere!

I just posted my opinion on this in the thread in the biz section but they are not new reg's! BCN has totally blown this out of proportion. If they would spend as much time Reconstructing their website to separate the low flashpoint FO's and make the site easier to navigate as they have on posting these NEW REGULATIONS they would not have a problem! They are making it sound like it is illegal to ship FO's USPS. Anything over 200 flashpoint can ship US priority.

IMO Doneen does not understand the reg's or either does not want to take the time to separate what can and cannot ship Priority. But from reading her email and posts she has no clue on what the reg's are???? JMO

Well, lost business is lost money. I watch every penny on product and shipping. I shop around for the best product at the best price and that includes shipping. I think it is pure laziness to not read, understand and comply with the USPS regs and just throw it out the window. It's not that difficult. And yes, BC has the absolute worst website I have ever seen. With all of the recent price increases by suppliers I would not be suprised to see more co-ops to buy from the manufacturers direct.

My thoughts exactly. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's confused to this "new" policy that I can't seem to find.

You could find someone on here that lives close to the supplier you use and pay them to ship USPS international. Since most suppliers are not shipping FO's USPS anymore.

Thanks for that Candle Man - I have contacted a mail forwarding service in the States to see if they would be able to help, so lets see!

And I'm not really keen on supplying all kinds of people who only do this for a hobby (please don't misunderstand me - USA is really big, there's obviously room for all of you, but not here in Germany, e.g.:cool2:) who don't want to pay a fair price for the supplies (most people here tend to buy only the cheapest things, they don't care for quality) and if, just buy 15 ml of one or two oils and that's it.

I understand your predicament perfectly, things are much the same here. Its not about being nasty, its called self-preservation. :D

My thoughts exactly. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's confused to this "new" policy that I can't seem to find.

I don't think it is so much about being a new policy - I just think FO suppliers are getting concerned about being fined for something they are not allowed to do, like shipping FO via airmail. My understanding is also that even if the flashpoint is higher than 200F, you are still not allowed to ship internationally via USPS, but can ship within the US via surface mail. THAT is why I am so concerned.

Katinka,

I am using a mail forwarder and I get every oil I want, no prob.

Even found a forwarder that gets 200 lbs of wax for only $ 95,- to my front door (they don't calculate with the weight but with the value of the stuff).

My understanding is also that even if the flashpoint is higher than 200F, you are still not allowed to ship internationally via USPS, but can ship within the US via surface mail. THAT is why I am so concerned.

According to the US regulations FOs over 200 F can be shipped internationally. I know it makes the whole thing more complicated, but some suppliers have managed it (Thanks FOH for posting!) so i reckon if they want our business they should meet our needs!!!

The customer is always right!!! LOL!!!!

Does anyone know what the rules are for surface mail?

Could FOs between 141 and 200 F be shipped internationally via surface mail?

I've been sent samples via surface mail with these flash points, but not sure if that was a mistake on the suppliers part or if it is allowed.

Regarding surface mail - i asked Bittercreek if they could send via surface and they said NO.

Ok guys, listen - I have between 4,000 and 5,000 ounces of fragrance oil here. I am NOT a supplier, just a complete FO addict and I always want the best oils for my business. I have a ton of my FO made for me right here in the UK and they are right up there with the best I've ever used.

In the short term, I am willing to share some of my oils if you need them - I can only spare up to 1lb of any one scent at any one time - so if you needed 2lbs of lemon cake, I could only do 1lb or less. I'm happy to charge you my actual cost of the oil plus shipping as it keeps my stock rotating.

My manufacturer can pretty much create any oil I ask for, although they don't seem to be able to do "Fresh Bread" so that's out.

If you have any immediate requirements or want samples of any scents, just PM me. I must re-iterate, I am NOT a supplier but I do have a rather enormous amount of fragrance oil which I'm willing to share, seeing as I can get all my fragrance oil made in the UK. It might take me a few days longer to ship it to you as I have candle orders to complete, but I will get them out to you as fast as I can.

Natasha

Thanks nat, that's very helpful.

The thing i'm most concerned about though, is where to go from here.

As i'm only just beginning the business side of things, i've been trying out lots of FOs, to see how much i like them. I hope that i'll start to get lots of orders and later need larger amounts of FO. So i really need a long term solution and it's very uncertain what the future is for shipping FOs from the US. This means i'm not really sure what to do now - should i carry on testing my scents in the hopes that the suppliers that currently do ship USPS will continue, or do i just give up now and find another place to get my scents from?

Regarding surface mail - i asked Bittercreek if they could send via surface and they said NO.

Ok guys, listen - I have between 4,000 and 5,000 ounces of fragrance oil here. I am NOT a supplier, just a complete FO addict and I always want the best oils for my business. I have a ton of my FO made for me right here in the UK and they are right up there with the best I've ever used.

Natasha

Hi Nat,

I just wanted to ask why you changed your mind on becoming a supplier?

Only curious about that...:smiley2:

Hi all fellow "international customers":smiley2: !

It is true, the USPS regulations are not that new - it seems they have been around for quite some time.

I have looked into this - there are no restrictions for shipping fragrance oils with a flashpoint of 200+. But it of course is up to the supplier it they want to mark the flashpoints on their website and ship according to this. Maybe some just do not want to go through the trouble and do not ship USPS alltogether. Not a very good business decision if you ask me. I certainly hope BCN will start shipping the 200+ oils via USPS again, because as said - there are no restrictions on that, they can be shipped both ground and air.

I also order some oils from Save on scents - did that just the other day - they have also changed their shopping cart and have clearly stated the regulations (domestic and international) and still ship USPS if the oils are 200+

So let just hope the companies still want to keep their international customers and take that extra step to differentiate between oils.

Best to you,

Eva from Estonia

Hi Nat,

I just wanted to ask why you changed your mind on becoming a supplier?

Only curious about that...:smiley2:

It's in the back of my mind to become a supplier Inez, but I have just landed 6 wholesale accounts for my candles - so I am run off my feet from 7am to 10pm every night. I am currently looking for premises as I'm going to need it to store all the stuff I need for the wholesale accounts. I have also run out of space - so don't know where to put a few hundred kilos of oils.

However, saying that - i've just been on the phone to my fragrance manufacturer and they have said that they will reduce their minimum order requirements for me, so the idea of becoming a supplier is looking more promising as I don't need as much space. I think I will only offer fragrances for now and see where it leads me.

Sugarysweet - in the long term I will be setting up an online business selling fragrance oils and candle making supplies professionally - what I was saying is that in the short term, I can share MY personal stash of scents to those who need it. These scents are easily obtainable again from my supplier - but I'm not going to buy oils just for resale at the moment as I'm too busy - which is why I can only spare up to 1lb at a time on any particular oil because it will come from my own personal collection, which I need for my business.

Nat