International FO Shipping Issues - what are we gonna do???

katinka

It's in the back of my mind to become a supplier Inez, but I have just landed 6 wholesale accounts for my candles - so I am run off my feet from 7am to 10pm every night. I am currently looking for premises as I'm going to need it to store all the stuff I need for the wholesale accounts. I have also run out of space - so don't know where to put a few hundred kilos of oils.

However, saying that - i've just been on the phone to my fragrance manufacturer and they have said that they will reduce their minimum order requirements for me, so the idea of becoming a supplier is looking more promising as I don't need as much space. I think I will only offer fragrances for now and see where it leads me.

Sugarysweet - in the long term I will be setting up an online business selling fragrance oils and candle making supplies professionally - what I was saying is that in the short term, I can share MY personal stash of scents to those who need it. These scents are easily obtainable again from my supplier - but I'm not going to buy oils just for resale at the moment as I'm too busy - which is why I can only spare up to 1lb at a time on any particular oil because it will come from my own personal collection, which I need for my business.

Nat

That's great - though obviously you've got your commitments first, understand fully! Anyway i might never get going with this candle business, but fingers crossed!!!!

Does anyone know what the rules are for surface mail?

Could FOs between 141 and 200 F be shipped internationally via surface mail?

I've been sent samples via surface mail with these flash points, but not sure if that was a mistake on the suppliers part or if it is allowed.

There is no way to ship by "surface" if there is an ocean between you and the supplier. The only mail, per se, that goes by boat these days is freight.

There is no way to ship by "surface" if there is an ocean between you and the supplier. The only mail, per se, that goes by boat these days is freight.

Hi, sorry didn't make myself clearer - by surface i meant via boat, that's why it takes sooo long. In the UK for international we just call it Air mail or surface mail, which always means boat for us, so i thought it would be the same in the US.

So can FOs between 141 and 200 go via boat (surface)??

Hi, sorry didn't make myself clearer - by surface i meant via boat, that's why it takes sooo long. In the UK for international we just call it Air mail or surface mail, which always means boat for us, so i thought it would be the same in the US.

Sorry - yes, your right. I tend to consider "surface" and "ground" as being different for practical reasons: most suppliers don't seem to get that both are really held to the same standard.

As for the 141 > 200 going by boat, yes, they should be able to AND UNRESRICTED BY AIR IF packaged under a gallon.

Seems like everyone has their own read of the supposedly new regs, even postal workers, so mine is just one more.

I asked bittercreek if they'd send by boat - they said no.

Um, how do you plan on being supplied the oils?

I don't think Empress was saying that SHE was going to become a supplier, I think she was merely stating that it would be a good opportunity to become a supplier in the UK, if you had the right contacts. Not ALL FO is made in the USA.