Smooth pillars and a few rustics!

Jojo T.

Hi everyone, I took these pics today of my latest candles to come out of the pot. The first pic is of some pink, mauve and white rustics FO Lavender Cucumber Sage in 3 inch aluminium round molds, 2 1/2 inch alum. square and a 3 inch square milk container, all of which turned out ok. I didn't have any problems getting them out of the mold etc. The second pic is of cream pillars in polycarbonate molds FO Victorian Rose, once again no problems there. The third pic is of pale mauve, deep plum and white rustics FO Lavender Cucumber Sage again, in 2 inch aluminium molds and a 3 inch alum. mold - all of these came out of the mold ok but two of the 2 inchers didn't look too good in the beginning. The deep plum colour had run all over the place and instead of looking interesting it just looked extremely messy. I ended up neatening it up a little with some nylon netting and heat gunning it slightly. I'm reasonably happy with them now. What do you think? The last pic is just for fun and is my cat Snowdrop who kept trying to get into the picture - she's very large - the tallest pillar behind her is 8 inches high to give you some idea of her size. I hope you enjoy looking.

post-1250-139458420838_thumb.jpg

post-1250-139458420855_thumb.jpg

post-1250-139458420859_thumb.jpg

post-1250-139458420862_thumb.jpg

Oh you didn't do this lol! I really like the designs. Sure wish copper could be reached for color because I would want some black and copper ones.
Now that is a colour combination that I would love as well. I think you've been fairly close with some of your rustics.

Love your layering technique and the candles are beautiful. Good set up for the photos as well. I think the polycarbonate moulds give a lovely shape to candles and a nice finish. My faves are the plum coloured ones. :) I have a lot of problems getting rustics out of my 2" aluminium moulds and have to resort to gently heating the mould with a heatgun for it to expand a bit and then give a good tug on the candle and it comes out - but too much rustic effect is left inside the mould which is a real bummer.:sad2:

I think Snowdrop is gorgeous - she must get very hot in Summer - does she find a cool place to lie in the garden when it gets real hot?

Love your layering technique and the candles are beautiful. Good set up for the photos as well. I think the polycarbonate moulds give a lovely shape to candles and a nice finish. My faves are the plum coloured ones. :) I have a lot of problems getting rustics out of my 2" aluminium moulds and have to resort to gently heating the mould with a heatgun for it to expand a bit and then give a good tug on the candle and it comes out - but too much rustic effect is left inside the mould which is a real bummer.:sad2:

I think Snowdrop is gorgeous - she must get very hot in Summer - does she find a cool place to lie in the garden when it gets real hot?

Yes, we have a very shady garden and her favourite spot is underneath the passionfruit vine and rosemary bush in a hollowed out hole she's made for herself.

Yes, we have a very shady garden and her favourite spot is underneath the passionfruit vine and rosemary bush in a hollowed out hole she's made for herself.

Sounds like heaven, you have a very smart cat! :cheesy2:

How beautiful your work is. The yellow are my pick.

Hi again, Here are a few comments which I hope are useful.

Dear Kalamazoo: I've found that the only time I have problems getting my rustics out of my aluminium molds was when I was a bit light on the stearine - I now add the full 3 Tablespoons per pound and wait overnight before I attempt the unveiling and haven't had a problem since (so far). I almost wish some of the splashes had stayed inside with my purple ones this time!!! :undecided

Dear Gerrie: To get my plum colour I use a purple and then add a few shavings of red, testing as I go by pouring a little into a muffin cup and sitting the cup in a jug of water so it sets fast, until I get the right shade of plum. I haven't found a supplier near me who has a plum dye. I love that colour. Have fun.

Dear Indy Girl: Please note: Warm - OK Hot - NOT OK. When it's so hot that if I go outside it's like being in a sauna and the sun starts roasting my skin instantly and it's so bright that I HAVE to wear sunglasses or I can't see, I crave cooler days! Luckily today it's cooler, only 24C forecast. Hooray!

Thanks for looking, your comments are very encouraging.