Is the color really necessary?

I make jar candles. The color situation just stresses me out sometimes. For instance, I pour Butterfly Kisses today and next week I'll pour again but the colors will be off. Happens sometimes from batch to batch. I've been thinking about eliminating color all together since each of my labels have a picture on them that represents the fragrance. Yes, that means I have about 160 different candle labels. I'd like some feedback if possible on going to the all white candle. Has anyone else done this? Mine are not 100% soy, so I can't make the soy natural claim therefore no color added. They're about 70% all natural soy. I just don't know if I should do this or create a new line (all white) and gently introduce them in and phase out the color? Any help or advice is appreciated.

LOL...the label situation is a whole other stress story from last week. I tried to re-do the label so that I have one for my 16 oz and one for my 8oz and have scent labels made up on a roll for each fragrance and it was a disaster. I cannot come up with a standard label to save my life. That's why this week it's now a color issue.

I am with you on the color frustration...we did decide not to color the soy candles, but with the paraffin, we still pull our hair out trying to keep the colors down. We have now decided that we will only do a set amount each time, so the color will not vary. We are in the process of going through our votives and jars to make sure everything is as close as possible...lol

I think the all white candle is a great idea, especially if your label depicts the scent. Go for it!!

I've run into several people who don't like dyed candles, but they also expect those candles to be 100% soy. And honestly all these people have told me that soy is healthy, soot free and dyes are bad, blah, blah...... so there seems to be a market out there. When I visually see a white candle I automatically think: Unscented, Baby Powder, Wedding Day, Wedding Cake. I use a lot of liquid dye, easy to control colors and I stick to about 8 colors and thats it. I also make the statement, that colors may vary from batch to batch or from posted pictures.

I wanted to get away from coloring my jars too, but my customers like the colors.

I have notes based on batches, so that my colors are usually pretty close. I try to always base my dye amounts per pound of wax so that I can keep consistency whether I make small or large amounts at a time.

I think if you want to go without dye, go for it!

I have stopped putting dye in my clamshell melts. They aren't for decor or anything anyway, so I figured why color them. My label takes care of the scent descriptions just fine. Nobody has said anything negative about it, in fact one friend who buys melts all the time from me is glad I left out color because she said her burner bowl can sometimes leave some remaining color after she throws away what's left of the last melts.

As for jar candles, I think if the label is well done it would be just fine.

Here's one of my 16's to show you the label. I also keep a log of my colors all numbered. When I have the perfect color, I pour into a clear tealight cup and number the tealight cup to correspond with the color number in the log. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm leaning more toward the all white candle.

16Apothx.jpg

Your candles look great and I think all white would be fine. With the colorful label, it would not look too "plain". If anyone asks, "what happened to the pink candle", you could tell them white is better because they'll match any and every decor, plus it makes them more natural.

Thank you. I also think that if I go all white, I'll have to revise some of the pictures to be more specific along with keeping the name of the scent. I was worried that maybe I was getting burned out but I love making my candles and as all of you know, we tend to be more critical of our own work. Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but the slightest color variation between batches is driving me nuts. I too am also tired of trying to come up with colors on new fragrance oils. I am fortunate though, even though I blend a soy/paraffin with 100% soy, my candles, without dye, turn out pure white.

I guess I have to sound the discordant note. In my humble opinion, (usually wrong, as my dear wife will attest) The color makes the candle.

We have over 200 fragrances in our list, and I use a different shade for each. I then tie the hang tag on the jar with a complimentary color ribbon. I use a hang tag because our jars taper in two directions, and labels wrinkle when applied.

Your labels look great, but to the color is it!!!

Fredron

Your candle is beautiful! I definatley do not think that you should eliminate color though. Color give the candle depth and beauty. I don't like lables, I want to see the candle. I either peel off the labels or turn the candle around! If you write down your color formulas you should be able to come very close on every batch. Mistakes happen, an extra drop falls out, etc. You won't be able to acheive all white candles anyway, because alot of fo's have color. So they won't all match.

I'm going to chime in. I think your labels look great. However, I wouldn't eliminate color from the candle. It's one of the two important sensory inputs that helps your brain figure out the scent.

While you probably know each scent you carry without a color cue, I wouldn't count on your customers to have that keen of a sense of smell. They will depend on the color to distinguish something like mac apple from Bartlett pear.

Through a candle (or a colored soap, or a red strawberry shortcake doll, blue blueberry muffin doll, or yellow lemon meringue doll... you get the idea), you're trying to give as much sensory input as possible to convey an experience (one of being surrounded by whatever). If a plum scented candle were white, do you think the consumer would think it was as strong as one that were purple?

We all know the color of a FO has nothing to do with how it really smells, but consumers tend to associate certain colors with certain scents. I wouldn't eliminate color from your inventory of tools to convey an experience.

Cheers,

Alan :)

Something you can try, if you like the color for a certain candle, pour it into a baby jar, and keep that for your own use. Label or mark the baby jar, we'll say cinnamon, and when you go to make a new batch, let the baby jar melt and you will have something to compare too, that didn't take up a lot of excess wax. That's how I plan on doing it. Especially since I'll be doing lots of testing! :)

I agree with the others though, color makes the candle in some cases. Before I got on a kick to make my own, I was spending egads and rotating scents every month. I'd have a few here and there leftover that I'd save for next rotation, and I remove labels off items that have it for looks. If I didn't have color, I wouldn't have been able to tell between my fresh linen, rainfail and sweet pea!!

Additionally to that... some people actually choose color candles that coordinate with their homes. I.E. they may choose all yellow or blue candles in whatever scent to go into clear glass holders, that match their decor.

I'm actually one of the weird people who loves candles for the flickering candlelight. I don't buy scented, and while I LOVE colour in my fabric, yarn, etc., I couldn't care less about coloured candles (although I did break down once and buy some).

I really like your candle and labels, it's lovely.

I'd keep the colors, but it's your choice. To me is just as another "marketing" choice, I hope I can make myself clear: maybe you will lose some customers (the ones that love colors) but you can find new customers (the ones that love natural things).

It's up to you.

I wouldn't worry much for a slight difference in colors, after all we are like all other artisans in the world. Two candles-two vases-two chairs and so on will never be identical if handmade!

I think if you market the colorless change correctly you won't see a drop in sales, etc. Color is attractive to the eye, but I buy a candle based on the scent. My suggestion would be to market the colorless candle by putting emphasis on your candle's essence (as in your name).

Where do you sell? Online, retail, craft shows? The color variations will more than likely only be visible to you, as we are all critical of ourselves and our personal work. You have a nice looking product with a beautiful label.

Another suggestion would be to have standard "outline" colors to specify scent types. The tan/taupe color would be bakery scents, blue could be fresh/clean scents, pink for florals, etc. And when they are grouped together people will see the "color."

I think if you market the colorless change correctly you won't see a drop in sales, etc. Color is attractive to the eye, but I buy a candle based on the scent. My suggestion would be to market the colorless candle by putting emphasis on your candle's essence (as in your name).

Where do you sell? Online, retail, craft shows? The color variations will more than likely only be visible to you, as we are all critical of ourselves and our personal work. You have a nice looking product with a beautiful label.

Another suggestion would be to have standard "outline" colors to specify scent types. The tan/taupe color would be bakery scents, blue could be fresh/clean scents, pink for florals, etc. And when they are grouped together people will see the "color."

Thank you very much. I've been playing around with the label since yesterday and have changed some of the pictures to be more specific towards the scent. I'm also playing with the border color as you suggested above. Today, I'm going to pour some all whites, and then post pictures of the all white candle, with the slightly revised label, in the gallery.

I was also thinking of slowly introducing the white without doing away with the color in the beginning. But, you're right, it's all in the marketing. I may pour the all white and not like it myself. It may make it easier for me when making the candle, but if I don't like it....how can I promote it and talk about and expect others to like it. Thanks so much everyone for all the feedback.

I dont see any reason not if the label takes care of it.... i would love to go dye free myself but cant due to the nature of what we make although i have stopped coloring the clamshells too and love it ( we are not a 100% soy either about a 75/25 split here too)