Work area

Geez, I wish I had a shop.. At the time I'm stick in a very small kitchen, where I have to uppack everything to work and repack when I'm done.. But if things go right I won't have to do that for very long...

This started out as a hobby but is also a biz..

Jeanna

I am a hobbyist.

I store my stuff in the basement on a shelving unit, then haul it up to the kitchen when I make candles. Then I haul it back downstairs when I'm done.

I do this in lieu of going to the gym! :laugh2::laugh2:

My area is in the laundry room down stairs. It is a huge room and I have my counter and shelves on two walls and stuff stacked all over the rest of the room. My candlemaking is a business. Not huge, but enough to keep me home with my kids.

Amy

I am a hobbyist.

I store my stuff in the basement on a shelving unit, then haul it up to the kitchen when I make candles. Then I haul it back downstairs when I'm done.

I do this in lieu of going to the gym! :laugh2::laugh2:

This sounds like me.. All ready made candles and cases of wax are in the basement and everything else is packed in boxes under the kitchen table(table is against the wall).

Jeanna

Then I haul it back downstairs when I'm done.

I'm impressed - I haul mine out and let it pile up in the corner till I cannot open the cupboards. Then I move it around a bit with my foot till I can get the cupboard door open. Housekeeper comes every other week, and so I eventually get stuff put away so she can mop!

business here...I have an entire room off of my kitchen...two large work(old kitchen) tables rolling carts, shelves, little plastic shoeboxes, one of those pegboards with the lil metal hanging thingys that i store clamshells and sachets on...I do however use the oven in my kitchen for warming jars and cleaning molds, but as soon as I can get hubby to do the wiring for it I have a second hand oven that will be going into my room. I used to use my kitchen and have to lug everythinbg out then put it away, I love my new setup.:yay:

What's your work area?

Is all your stuff laid out like a shop, or is it used and then stored until the next time? Are you a hobbyist, business person, or both?

Garage, basement, kitchen, etc.?

business.. and it's all over the kitchen , dining room, living room, hallway, 2nd bedroom, my bedroom etc. LOL

I've kept bulk items out of my bedroom (for the most part). But .. . the other 2 bedrooms (can't open the doors without pushing), kitchen (can't even open the microwave; have to kick boxes for bottom cabinets), dining room (can't get in there, much less see the table), living room (no more piano playing; have path to front door), laundry room, car trunk, attic, all closets, back seat of car, den (have path through). Got a new housekeeper a few weeks ago. I think she has already quit.

Mine is a hobby/tiny biz. I was using the kitchen counter, but dh got tired of me melting wax in our microwave, so he bought me new microwave for my birthday.

The old one is strictly for candles! woohoo!!

SO I took the dining room table, pushed it against the windows where there is an outlet and that is my little workshop now.

Small business here!!! We have set up two rooms and a giant closet in the house that are now called the candle rooms. I make all of my candles there with lots of tables, shelves, carts and so on to keep me going. My business is big enough to keep at home with the kids plus a little more:yay:

I have a workshop with a small fridge (for storing oils & butters), big sink (soapmaking), 2 tables, oven/stove (candlemaking and B&B) and a bunch of shelves & cabinets for supplies. Fluorescent lighting fixtures overhead and one window and a fan. Then there's a shipping area and a curing rack for my soaps, along with a dehumidifier parked right in front of that. lol

Then separately, I have a storage shed for pallets of jars and lids, plus all those tables and display racks, not to mention EZ Up tent and such. It really helped to get all this stuff out of our living space, then again to unclutter when we got the shed (it's brand new).

This is how new and small I really am, I place a board on top of my kitchen sinks to extend my "work area", I don't cook much any more, so I get to store my things in my kitchen cabinets, mostly do it during the weekends. I love this hobby I don't think I would ever be able to make my candles for profit, just for enjoyment.

Zonia

Barely crossed the line over to business -- still extremely small cuz I can't support anything bigger! But business was the end goal from the start.

I've got stuff in my garage, bottom floor of my house in the "extra" area -- there's a fireplace that we can't use becaue of all the boxes in front of it and a futon we don't sit on because of all the crap around it! LOL. I keep the small stuff like wicks and tealight boxes upstairs in the kitchen area. I am so lucky that my hubby is tolerant and supportive of this "habit" -- otherwise me and my stuff would be out on the streets! He hasn't had a whole kitchen to work in for months! Everytime I pour something new I have to clear off counterspace. :embarasse

Business here. We have a leased 2500 sq ft bldg in an industrial park. Not very organized at this time. Boxes everywhere. About a third of the space is set up with long pouring/cooling tables. Wax and jars come in in pallets and are just inside the overhead door. Need badly to organize. Getting out of hand.

SO I took the dining room table, pushed it against the windows where there is an outlet and that is my little workshop now.

basically the same here have my dining room table completly extended (2 leaves) a cheapo vinly table cloth (ok its actually a nice fall themed one i got on clearance for like $3) an electric burner for double boiler for remelting, and my presto pot and i have a little cart with 7 drawers that holds alot (not nealy all but alot) of my supplies at least the smaller stuff

Business.. slowly I took over the basement. Husband still has a place to clean his guns.. but I took over the 2 tables in the corner.. added a few more tables to have pouring and cooling areas. Pour pots and old cake pans hang from the ceiling as do rolls of paper towels and my rolls of shrink wrap. Have a round table to shrink wrap and package. Wood shelves to store soap, an old door laid accross 2 tables to sew on, a 4'x5' piece of plywood on saw horses to use a a cutting table that I now have set up with a light tent for photographing for the web site... have asked for another piece of plywood and more sawhorses to make the photo area more permanant.. the pantry is full of oils and butters, my soap molds and cutter. The soap and bnb stuff I make in the kitchen so DH comes home to the garage and kitchen scented enough to get a headach. I'm worse than crabgrass :undecided

VERY small business:) I have one kitchen counter that is set up with my presto pot and a few supplies, labled and in order, then the rest of my molds, wicks, scents, containers, etc in a spare bedroom. We are building a small steel house( steel frame, studs, siding) and off the back of the kitchen my husband is building a small room for my candle operation::D