Everyone hated my patchouli

sandyrose

I have so many fruity scents in my line I was trying to add an earth scent. So I did an experiment and made a big batch of Body Butter (I was confident it was gonna be good) of NG's Patchouli with a little sweet orange EO in it.

Boo hoo! My testers hated it. :sad2: In fact they never even heard of patchouli in the first place. These were girls in their later 20's and early 30's. I'm in my mid thirties and I remember it as retro hippie type scent when I was in my teens. I don't think it's the greatest scent but I thought it was pretty interesting with the orange it it. (just a little)

I also gave one to my mom who said it's okay.. but she's my mom and I can't trust her answers on stuff like this.

So many of you are saying that patchouli is such a big seller for you. Should I try a different supplier ofthe FO or should I just assume that I tested it on the wrong people?

The only ppl that purchase patchouli items from me seem to be the older generation (40-50's). I have never had anyone in there 30's like this scent. They all seem to hate it! Im an in this group and personally love it but like someone had mentioned, you either hate it or love it.

I'm the proverbial "aging hippie" and I love, love, love patchouli! However....My daughter, who's 21, HATES it! It literally makes her gag! I've tried the sniff test on her with several different suppliers versions of patch--every last one of them got the same response... [ATTACH]8741[/ATTACH]! I am no longer even allowed to bring a bottle of it into her house! So, with that being said, I have to agree with the others...generational preferences make a big difference! Also, Sara is right...there is NO substitute for the real thing, although I'm pretty darn pleased with the Peak FO version.

post-3607-139458411027_thumb.gif

It's definitely a love/hate scent! Late 30's here, and I can't stand it.

I even tried the famous TSW Sanguigno Orange & Patchouli on the hopes the orange would cover over the patch a bit. Nope, it smells like a combo of @ss funk & head shop to me. sick007.gif

Clean that sniffer out LOL! It's wonderful!!

I do have Solas' patchouli gold. It's a really nice patch too. I just have to do something with it (like soap it for myself!)

Pathouli is a hard one, I personally don't care for it but my mother loves it. I would try a blending it to soften it. Maybe amber and a bit of vanilla with hint of patchouli. There is definately people out there like like. But either you do or you absolutely don't. Good luck with it.

I like patch but not very strong or it gives me a headache and I certainly wouldn't want it in a body butter..not for me anyway. But I do love sandalwood in butter - Indian Sandalwood from BB is really nice. Sometimes I make is straight and sometimes add a hint of Jasmine or Lavender.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. I really think that patchouli is a aquired taste. I have had a ton of people request a patchouli of any sort so I purchased a Vanilla patchouli and didn't care for it at all.

I just must not be a patchouli type of gal and won't be adding it either!

Yes, it's true...lots of people hate Patchouli...let em have a go at some Nag Champa...I bet they'd hate that one even more. LOL I actually like it myself, but everyone else I know hates it...and they're the ones who also hate Patchouli and Sandlewood as well.

Patchouli is truely a love/hate. I hate it but I sale a lot of it. I had to put together a batch a couple of days ago and I could barely stand the smell. My husband loooooves it.

I suggest you try again and I sometimes mix the eo and fo when I am running low on EO. But I mainly use the EO and like someone said before nothing is better then the real thing.

I'm one of those 'aging' hippies and I love those earthy scents, patchouli (EO only), nag champa, sandalwood, etc.!! :D In my area it's the young crowd (18-30) that are buying it, not the older crowd. My son (23) and his friends love these scents and are my biggest customers. :cool2:

Patchouli is one of my top sellers but I think most people want it in soap, lotion bars, sprays or roll-ons, I don't know if Body Butter is the right medium for it. But who knows. You could try making something else. It smells awesome in CP soap, especially after the person using it get out of the shower :cheesy2: