I've been scoping out the competition...

KristinesShower

There are alot of DS (Direct sells) Company reps where I live. I get these companies in my mail box constantly. Even after I call them and tell them I make my own. Also I don't see them as competition, I make my own product, it isn't mass produced like most are. Mine are made to order, unless I'm at a craft show.

Mia Bella / Scent Sations

Golden Canyon

White Lily Candles

Enchanting Scents Design

Home and Garden Party

Home Interior

Partylite

Northern Lights at Home

Sweet Cupcakes this is a new one. But I looked up some info on this company and on the reps page it said it opened up on August 26, 2006 and has over 2,500 consultants. And FREE SIGNUPS, that's where it gets people that are into DS. If it's free then they'll join doesn't always mean they'll stay active but still.

I guess these are the benefits if you join them:

25% Commission

Leadership Program (earn $$$ while Recruiting)

24/7 Consultant Support

Free Website (no monthly fee)

Free Company Email

Free Credit Card Processing for your customers

Dropshipping is available

No Kit requirements

No Minimums

No sale requirements

No restrictions on how you sell or advertise

State Sales Tax Processed by the company

New products added monthly

I know there are more candle companies out there but can't think of them right now, there are also alot of B&B DS Companies out there like:

Enchanted Potions

Country Bunny and Bath

Daisy Blue Naturals

Lemongrass Spa

etc...............................................

Seriously don't think of them as competition, I don't and I see them constantly at the flea markets, yard sales, craft shows, etc.... People prefer hand made things before DS. Also they don't like to be bothered about signing up to get a discount to sell the products.

Mindy :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest things that I love about message boards is the communications that can be established with these post. Yesterday the sweetcupcakecandles website was not working properly and this is why I could not see pictures or prices.

The number one and so forth on the site were not linked to anything so when you placed your mouse on that particular part of the site you did not get a link. I can clearly see today that someone on this message board either owns the site or knows someone that owns the site as for the links are working today. And I have to agree they are pricey!

I noticed on Sweet Cupcakes that it said....

"Each is hand-poured and made at the time of purchase to ensure maximum fragrance throw."

Now correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a candle have better scent throw if it was allowed to cure for several weeks before sale?

Actually, it sounds more ,like a pyramid scam. Consultants getting more sonsultants under the to sell a product, they can't sell. Does it cost anything to become a consultant? I would stay from it. Sell your own items, you know what they are!

You are fairly correct about the fragrance throw. It depends on the wax though, if they use a paraffin or a 50/50 vegetable slash whatever mixture curing time for a chemical reaction to take place could be 24 to 48 hours. If their claim is (soy) typically soy should cure for 2 weeks at least for the best fragrance throw! It really just depends on the wax that is used.

You are fairly correct about the fragrance throw. It depends on the wax though, if they use a paraffin or a 50/50 vegetable slash whatever mixture curing time for a chemical reaction to take place could be 24 to 48 hours. If their claim is (soy) typically soy should cure for 2 weeks at least for the best fragrance throw! It really just depends on the wax that is used.

Taken from Sweetcakes site.....

"Our Apothecary Candles come in several sizes to match any decor. Made with 100% Soy Wax and Triple Scented." :tiptoe:

I assure you, I don't know anyone associated with Sweet Cup Cakes Candles but I do know that everytime I went to the site yesterday it worked but only the number 1, the 2 and 3 did not. Not sure if they work today, don't have time for them.

One of the greatest things that I love about message boards is the communications that can be established with these post. Yesterday the sweetcupcakecandles website was not working properly and this is why I could not see pictures or prices.

The number one and so forth on the site were not linked to anything so when you placed your mouse on that particular part of the site you did not get a link. I can clearly see today that someone on this message board either owns the site or knows someone that owns the site as for the links are working today. And I have to agree they are pricey!

HAND MADE TO ORDER????

That would mean, having 1000 consultants that your order will be filled in about 4-6 weeks. If their so call 1000 sales people are selling as most do for these companies then there is no way they can hand pour these at time of order only. This site to me is bogus. I think they have very few if no sales people and they are trying to impress so others will join.

I know the pyramid avenue. I sold for Gold Canyon for 3 years as a distributor until their big investor decided they should go MLM and I was history.

Can you all guess what I decided to do for a living after that !! :D

Maybe they take an order, pour the order, then tell you it will get to you in about 3 weeks - 2 to cure 1 process and ship, lol. ?? There goes their impulse buyers!

I work with a MLM company and I don't get how this candle site can have so few restrictions. SOMEBODY has to be responsible. It is not all cake and candy, flowers and clouds like they make it sound. Perhaps they are too small for such things NOW, but if they grow-kaput with all them so called 'benefits'. One of the things that bugs me most about companies who tout thier benefits so strongly is that they are so repetitive and it just serves to make the list look longer, lol, but makes me feel like they think im an idiot, lol. For instance...

Leadership program - earn while recruiting: that just means you get your paldry % on the people you are recruiting- you probably can't BE leadership unless your recruits sell sell sell. It's not like you can collect a pay check while you go around asking people to join. Which is how they want you to think. Grrr lol:rolleyes2 Just my 2 cents. :cheesy2:

Blue Diamond,

Please do not take what I said in the wrong way or out of content I was just saying that either you owned the site or someone on this board reading the post did. Yes the numbers were not working that is correct! And now today they are working that is what I meant, that's all no hard feeling...

I was actually just talking to a Bittersweet Candle rep that emailed me the today wanting to sell candles in my shop and she told me that it takes her 4 to 6 weeks to get her order when she places it!! She has to front all the money (cost and shipping/handling), then just sit and wait for the candles to come.

Good news though, she is going to sell off the rest of her case and then sell my candles instead lol I told her that no way in hell I would take 4-6 weeks - holy cow, I told her more like place the order and wait 4 to 6 minutes while I put them in the box for you lol

Sorry, the pour to order or made to order thing doesn't cut it for me with candles. I think the longer they sit the better they are.

Before I started making candles, I used to order off a rep that sold candles and I had to wait 2 weeks for 2- 1.5 oz hex jars and 1 bag of butterfly tarts. I thought that was crazy but they smelled great.

I pour to order to, on scents that aren't my best sellers. Just because I don't have the room to hold all that inventory.

Mindy :)

I was actually just talking to a Bittersweet Candle rep that emailed me the today wanting to sell candles in my shop and she told me that it takes her 4 to 6 weeks to get her order when she places it!! She has to front all the money (cost and shipping/handling), then just sit and wait for the candles to come.

Good news though, she is going to sell off the rest of her case and then sell my candles instead lol I told her that no way in hell I would take 4-6 weeks - holy cow, I told her more like place the order and wait 4 to 6 minutes while I put them in the box for you lol

Sorry, the pour to order or made to order thing doesn't cut it for me with candles. I think the longer they sit the better they are.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I have seen Bittersweet selling their candles at wholesale shows. I wonder if it always takes 4-6 weeks for her to get her candles or if it is just temporary because this is the busiest part of the year for candle sales. It will take me 2 weeks to get my Yankees delivered, and you can imagine the volume they can turn out, compared to Bittersweet.

Regarding the "pour to order" thing, to me that just reeks of a small time operation. Candle makers doing any volume of business can't wait for orders to come in before they pour.

Regarding the "pour to order" thing, to me that just reeks of a small time operation. Candle makers doing any volume of business can't wait for orders to come in before they pour.

No lie, Sockmonkey. What braintrust decided that they could 'pour to order' with 1000 reps in the field ??? Someone was smokin' too much pakalolo when they birthed this fair-haired child of a concept. I am sooo tired of these kind of MLM's and the get-rich-quick mentality (operative word here, 'these kind'; I'm not slamming all MLM's).

Oh well -- these one trick pony companies like this just make me look that much better to my customers in the end. LOL.

edite to correct my lousy spelling...