I've been scoping out the competition...

KristinesShower

Have you noticed? Well, nothing is coming up for Bittersweet Candles, but I have another company I wanted to know if anyone has heard of:

http://www.sweetcupcakecandles.com/

This website says started in August 2006 and they already have 1,000 consultants nationwide. I also did some further researching and found some women that are consultants, but guess what? They have no product yet, nor do they know if their candles will even have labels on them, but every one of them are gung ho on recruiting others to sell as well as touting their wares on several boards I have frequented.

Anybody got any news on 'em?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of them, but after reading about triple scenting, I'm not impressed. I don't get the feel that she's making them herself. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

"Sweet Cupcake is based in Alabama and now offers hand-poured soy candles that are triple scented for maximum fragrance as well as quality bath products."

Never heard of them has anyone noticed that they have two different launch dates on the home page it says august but on the about you page it says july! Maybe it's just a typing error. I would never sign up to selling these products- u have to like what you sell and believe in the product, how can you do that if there's no products to view (unless i was being stupid and not looking properly. Maybe i'm wrong could be beautiful products and a great company to work 4 ? :cool:

Oh this is so looking bad, the more I look into it.

No labels so the "customers can see the product better" is the excuse these poor reps are using to defend the labeless products.

This makes me so sad - these poor ladies haven't even gotten their orders yet & they are already standing up for this company. I'm sorry, but a bottle of lotion or a candle jar with no label is not going to go over good.

Good Lord, where are they all coming from? lol

The thing that really burns my toast is that they flat out lie to get their reps. I mean what kind of business can you run that is based on lies?? I feel for these poor ladies, they don't know, they just hope they are going to become rich, because that is what these people practically promise them!

You know, I've actually seen posts for all of these places and not one of them are trying to sell candles - they are all trying to get everyone to join them. It kinda creeps me out - like a new candle cult or something LMAO

Actually you are going to see a lot of this starting to happen. The "Green" movement is full steam ahead and one of the fasted growing sectors among cosmetic and food industry. Eveyone is trying to capitalize on the publics desire for a more natural back to earth product especially with the Baby Boomers controlling over 1/3 of the economy and lots of extra dough to spend.

What really pisses me off is that most of these companies are just "Green Washing" their product to cash in on this trend. They are still using the same chemicals and perservatives and adding maybe an organic ingredient here or there and calling it "Organic".

The Soy Candle biz will be the same thing...great your candles are soy but what are you really doing to consider yourself a "Green" company. I personally am going through a lot of trouble, research and money to source the best soy wax, dyes that are veggie based, FO's with the least amount of chemicals, packaging that is recycled and will contribute to various environmental charities with profits from sales. It is more then just making a candle from soy and saying its eco friendly...it is the whole ball of wax down to packaging, dyes and Fo's and giving back to the environment...!

Sorry I'm off my soapbox now...just a subject that is important to me...;)

My turn on the soapbox Isbennis, I couldn't agree more with you . I'm looking to start making soy candles from home too. At the moment I'm just trying to learn everything I can but I am having a similar dilemna. I would like to market them as eco-friendly but what do you do re fragrances and packaging. Container candles aren't a problem as glass is recycleable, but what about packaging for votives, pillars and tarts. Most people seem to either shrink wrap them or use cellophane. But are these methods biodegradable? I don't they are, most plastic takes forever to break down. Then there is the fact that plastic products are oil based. The list seems to go on forever.

Will there ever be a truly eco friendly candle - who knows. I think at the end of the day I think its a case of doing the best we can do with the available resources on offer to us and our wallets.

That's me done:2cents:

Ruby

OH SHUCKS.... on sweet cupcakes I wanted to sign up on their limited offer. First 100 sign ups, get to start for FREE....but guess I can't do that if they already have 1000! DARN DARN DARN :laugh2: 1000 my foot! I wonder how many are active? Notice you can't contact any consultant directly!?!?

How does one sign on for a company that doesn't even post prices, or not that I can see..all I see is a scent list.

And as for that other one Marlow or whatever, her prices are rediculous. Nice looking appearance but give me a break. Then add on shipping and wowwie!!

Taken from one of the Marlo rep's sites (you won't believe this):

I am a Founding Consultant for the Marlo Quinn Company.

I joined Marlo Quinn because I absolutely love soy candles.

I will never burn another paraffin candle in my home!

If you do not already know, paraffin wax comes from the sludge left in the bottom of a barrel

of crude oil. That is why it emits soot, it is a petroleum based product.

Also, items made from paraffin are jet fuel and kerosene! Not exactly safe to burn in your

home!

Soy candles burn cleaner, longer, throw scent better, and if the wax spills on your tablecloth

or carpeting it washes out with soap and water!

And best of all are made from a product grown by American Farmers!

If you spill the wax on yourself it will not burn you, soy burns at a lower temperature and is

safer than paraffin candles by far!

Another reason I joined MQ is because I can run my business the way that fits my life!

The options are endless!

edited to change color of quote

Girlyracer...you are right...there will never be a totally 100% eco-friendly candle...as it does have to be shipped which used gasoline and there are some ingredients that are not biodegradable such as shrink wrap etc...but it is more then that...is the company making the eco candle a "Green" company? Do they ship in recycled boxes? How about paper towels...we all know how much we use those...are they using recycled paper? What about lighting...are they using compact florescent bulbs? What about printer paper...ink...etc...all available in eco friendly versions. Do they pay their employees a fair wage or do they source their products from sweat shops in other countries to save money? In other words does the company give back to the environment or does it abuse it. I would rather buy a Parafin candle if the company strived to produce the candle as eco-friendly as possible then buy a Soy candle from a company that was wasteful and did not give back to the environment.

Here is a great site that list "Green" companies that support the environment...

Co-op America: Economic Action for a Just Planet

Hmm...sounds like a pyramid scam to me. It amazes me how so many people can fall for those things. I read the terms and conditions and nowhere did it say how much money you have to pay. I know right now you can start for free, but you would have to pay. That's how they make their money, especially since you can't click on the link to purchase their products!

Yep. They are all MLM companies. Not all MLM companies are scams, there are a few genuine ones out there. I've been part of one for the past 6 1/2 years here in the UK. The company I'm associated with has been trading since 1923 and they have a good tack record.

You do need to be very wary though. So many MLM companies go belly up in the first couple of years. You need to know whether there is an end user for your product or whether the emphasis is on recruiting and you buy product for your own personal use. An ethical company will allow you to sell direct to customers and/or recruit. If they are more interested in you recruiting then be very wary. If there is no product moving to end users then there will be no cash to pay the network.

I used to recruit but I now just sell directly to customers. There was never any pressure for me to recruit it was totally up to me. They understand that people join for different reasons, not everyone is after the big bucks. For most just an extra £100 pw can make a huge difference to their lifestyle. Put pressure on these people to recruit and they just end up quitting and everyone loses out.

One thing I noticed, there doesn't seem to be a statutory wealth warning. Here in the UK all MLM companies carry one. It's the rules otherwise the DTI and OFT come down on the company like a ton of bricks.

Ruby

Have you noticed? Well, nothing is coming up for Bittersweet Candles, but I have another company I wanted to know if anyone has heard of:

http://www.sweetcupcakecandles.com/

This website says started in August 2006 and they already have 1,000 consultants nationwide. I also did some further researching and found some women that are consultants, but guess what? They have no product yet, nor do they know if their candles will even have labels on them, but every one of them are gung ho on recruiting others to sell as well as touting their wares on several boards I have frequented.

Anybody got any news on 'em?

Here's the link for BitterSweet.

https://www.bittersweetcandle.com/

There is a store that is named Cupcake something. I just happened to drive past going to a meeting and just saw a banner with a lot of words on it, but the word Cupcake caught my eye. I am wondering if that is related. I am going to have to take a drive and read the signs that are posted. The sign has been there quite a few months. I thought it was just a real cupcake or confectionery place. I am curious now!!! Hmmmmmm!!!!

Well I hate to knock anyone for what they are doing but you guys are correct I did not see a candle anywhere and I have to admit 1000 people in just a few weeks is a heck of a job!

We are not recruiting sales reps but we do offer an affiliate program. We provide for our affiliates a full website with 2 candles (your choice of scent) each and every month.

Of coarse there is much more we offer just too much to mention here. My point being that we have been doing the affiliate program for a bit less than a year now and we do not have 1000 members! I dont even have 500! <mod edit to remove affiliate link>

Just a quick note on labels on the candles. Up until 4 years ago I used to put labels on every jar candle I made. Put lots of time in setting them up, having them printed etc. As I started to hit larger craft shows, I heard customers talking about how they would like a candle with no label so they can reuse the jar, decorate themselves etc. So the following year, I did a test run and made some apothocary jars with just hang tags and warning labels on the bottom. I haven't looked back and now do everything with hang tags and no fancy labels. I instead decorate them up with a ribbon, or glue some dangly beads around the neck of the jar etc.

I am not saying this company might do this, that is why there are no labels, but just a thought. But you would think that a new company like this would have labels on atleast for their website to get their image out.