public pouring..

latch

has any one ever heard or thought of this... where (if you have a store front)

you make pouring open for public to see? (possibly hidden behind glass, keeping it safe from children) it seems i heard of some well known company doing this??

what are your thoughts on this.

I've never heard of that, well at least not with candles, I do know some smaller candy companies do that, but it sounds like it would be a great idea to attract attention. It also shows that the candles are hand made and not machine produced.

I thought about that in my store. Then I looked into it more and thought it would be like watching grass grow. After you pour into a mold or jar then it has to sit, so who would want to watch a candle setting up ?

I may do a DVD video and show that in the store. I would show pouring plus talk about quality, testing, safety & products.

Now if I did dipped tapers or cut & carve, then yes I would have a window viewing area.

BTW - If you do this make sure no customers can get to the area for safety.

I do that now.

I am an avid fan of the fudge shops in Wisconsin Dells and based my whole shop around that idea that people can walk right up and watch us make soap and candles. We don't let them come into the shop, but right out front is two huge windows that many stop by and look in. I also have some benches right outside the window for them to sit on.

When they come into the shop, we usually let them look back in the production area, but no one is allowed past a certain point. I don't want them looking at all my stuff and getting any ideas LOL

We get constant tourists that stop 5 times a day in a trolly that goes from Starved Rock to the other side of town and I am very lucky to have them stop at our little mall. We can have anywhere from a few looky lous to 50 of them staring - can get on your nerves, but you get used to it :)

It certainly makes them want to come in!!

I'll be pouring candles at the shop, but my bigger concern is fragrance overload. If I do a round of candles in creme brulee...either they're fight they're way in, or they'll puke before even hitting the door. LOL

That's my worry...is scent offending. I figure if I pour early enough in the day, it won't be so overpowferul by lunchtime when people start stopping in here and there.

interesting..but not for me..not such a neat pourer..lol

I am going to do a lotion bar area for some B&B but as far as candles go..it will be behind closed doors..pouring candles is not the prettiest thing.:undecided

Plus I don't want them seeing exactly what I am doing...so they dont get ideas to do it themselves and think it is EASY..cause it ain't..but we all know that right.:D

I'm sorry but I have to disagree there.

If you've ever been up to the Dells there is a fudge/candy shop about every 5 doors and not once did I think hmmm, this looks easy.

Besides when they are looking in on us, it doesn't look easy anyway. Actually that is the first thing they say when they come in the shop - that doesn't look very easy at all! (besides the "mmm, it smells good in here!" token response lol)

If they watched me pour candles that would be ok. Just have to make it sound proof for if I screw up and have to use profanities. Would be boring to just watch some one pour wax in a jar. I would be more worried about people looking to see if they can find out where I get my scents and wax from. Bruce

I personally wouldn't want to do this, as it would make me feel like I'm an exhibit at a zoo! But if you don't mind, it could be a good tourist attraction (like in KristinesShower's case) which could lead to more sales.

I don't think you need to worry about onlookers becoming your competitors. Most people don't have what it takes to start a business, and for those who do, they usually have enough creativity and resourcefulness to figure it out themselves instead of from watching your demonstration. I watch cooking shows and yet never bother to try out those recipes no matter how easy, let alone think about opening my own restaurant.

If they watched me pour candles that would be ok. Just have to make it sound proof for if I screw up and have to use profanities. Would be boring to just watch some one pour wax in a jar. I would be more worried about people looking to see if they can find out where I get my scents and wax from. Bruce

LOL IF you do this I want the date, time and place and I'm gonna come watch lol! Actually I think it would be a pretty cool thing, as long as we're not talking one or two candles to pour etc.

Remember in the 60's and 70's when McDonalds had windows looking into the kitchen and benches to sit and watch?

I'd love to do that if I had a storefront. I'd have to figure a way to make it look hard and expensive so no one got any ideas.

I'd love to do that if I had a storefront. I'd have to figure a way to make it look hard and expensive so no one got any ideas.

hahahaha....show 'em how monotonous it can be...like when you have to pre-wick dozens and dozens of jars...I always make a mess with the darn silicone glue!!!

'cause it isn't always exciting at least it isn't most days...just testing and trying something new is the exciting part for me....or unmolding some pillars...'cause you never know what you are gonna get

My Mom was just telling me she went into a bath shop that had ss bowls set into the counters, each bowl had some lotion, liquid soap, scrubs or what ever and the idea was you scoop your own.

Mom and all her friends were horrified! She said no way would she try any of it and wouldn't it be full of bacteria germs, etc...

She was in a big tourist town and they do the windows with fudge and candle, but she said that was different.

The sad thing is mom would have bought some of the items if they had a different setup, she loves handmade b&b.

They love to watch the stuff being made like fudge and taffy, so maybe she would like to see it being mixed, but no way does she want to bottle it herself. Seems kinda funny, people love to scoop their own potpourri, candies,

etc, but no way to the lotions....

I have been in several of the you pick it stores and they will make it while you watch. they made soaps, candles, perfumes and such, can't say that they were really busy, but it is an interesting idea and certainly cut down on their stick.

The bottles they had behind the counter of scent had just the scent name on them.

I myself use my own labels on all of my fo, I cover up the ones I can with my label and if their label is to big or the bottle itself has their company on it, I switch to a plain bottle. If you id that and made them in front of people it wouldn't be to bad. They might still think it looks easy though.

When I get my shop, it will be in deli style and the first half will be store front the 2nd half will be production with a big glass window for customers to see what is going on. People like to have what they consider a hands on experience, and being able to see the products they buy being made is very intriguing to them.

Bath & Body and Candles is a seeing, touching and smelling experience. The customer is more apt to spend $$$ when they can touch the actual product, smell it without a hinderance and letting them see products being made is just another way of stimulating their senses.

We're getting ready to do a TV ad for our shop and the producers were asking if we wanted them to do some footage of actual production. At first I thought it might be cool, but I was also thinking that it might take away from the "hand poured mysticism" by doing so. While I have never minded having a small audience while I'm pouring, I can't help but think that this might be one of those things better left to the imagination or lack there of?? The footage won't be lengthy at all, but still, I'm on the fence with this one.

We're getting ready to do a TV ad for our shop and the producers were asking if we wanted them to do some footage of actual production. At first I thought it might be cool, but I was also thinking that it might take away from the "hand poured mysticism" by doing so. While I have never minded having a small audience while I'm pouring, I can't help but think that this might be one of those things better left to the imagination or lack there of?? The footage won't be lengthy at all, but still, I'm on the fence with this one.

You could get a nice apron with your logo on it and at least have a few seconds of you pouring a candle. Who knows that may just get you more biz.

I can see it now the camera pans in on you pouring then you look up with pouring pot in hand and say "Hand poured just for you".

A white lab coat, test tubes, essential oils and SANITATION are the key elements in "putting on the show" I would think. I have always loved those "Watch Them Make" places....and I do think they boost "tourist" sales for sure.

The concept has worked for years with artisans from everything from oil painting to candy making. I think it is a novel idea for candles if the location is right. Like...PCH.. Laguna Beach where people are strolling and spending.

You KNOW you could ham it up and make it look like it is rocket science and art all rolled into one.

There is a place here called Fusion. I think they have the wrong location but the concept is cool. You choose your fragrances and bases and they create the lotions, potions, candles etc for you on the spot while you watch. They have a computer set up for the public to use where you type in the name you want to call your customized new product and it creates the label for you to apply to "your" creation.

You could get a nice apron with your logo on it and at least have a few seconds of you pouring a candle. Who knows that may just get you more biz.

I can see it now the camera pans in on you pouring then you look up with pouring pot in hand and say "Hand poured just for you".

LMAO! I don't know why, but that visual of myself just made me crack up!

When I had my store people could watch me make the candles. My candle making area was behind the check out counter and the retail area was in front of that. While they were looking around they could also see me pouring, mixing, etc. This lead to several custom orders as they would ask questions about scent and color. As we all know the lavender is done in lavender, vanilla in cream color and on and on. Once they find out you can do lavender in green, blue,yellow, red or what ever they will custom order their candles and then become a regular customer. They tell their friends and so on. You can build a great customer base just by doing that. When making the decision not to renew my lease and move my business back home I still do the same amount of business just because they could see how the candles were made and they can order what they want in whatever scent and color.

So pour for the public they do find if interesting and they will usually become a regular customer.

I prefer to keep the creating aspect of the business behind the scenes. I do not want ANYONE knowing of my suppliers or my secrets (because I do have some good ones). :grin2: I also find it to be quite distracting. I like having my own peaceful time when I make products without people "invading my space" and watching me. JMHO!

Rachel, those are my thoughts too. People already think it's so easy to do, why encourage them? For those who do it and it works for you that is great, but I don't want to encourage anyone to look and say, "gee that's so easy, all you do is melt and pour" :)

My wife and I have been doing crafts at shows (ceramics, painted glass, candles, etc) for years and have heard that many times, at least once per show. What the people do not realize is that we have been doing this for YEARS! It's not just picking up a brush and WOW its done! Also, do these people know they have to purchase all of the colors, equipment, fragrances, etc to do the work and that it will cost them much more than you are selling it for (wholesale buying power!). But if they really want to do it, let them!

Now she will bring her paints with us and paint glass at shows when it slows down. People stop and watch, and look with wonder, and many times put an order in for items. She can turn them out in about 15-30 minutes. Doing candles at a show wouild be more difficult, but I believe it would defintely generate sales in your own shop.