Help me Please

Today is my first day on here, And boy am I happy I found this site. I have been to so many and it has been overwelming. I am about to recive my 1st candle making kit, I am starting with soy wax, making tarts and votives. Can anyone tell me the absoult ( I am the worlds self proclaimed worst speller) most important thing you purchased to make everything easier. I have purchased about $150 worth of stuff to start out. :D

I love candles so much and desided after hearing someone elses experince with making them that I could too. When starting out though what is most important to have?

So many people say so many different things and I just dont know...HELP ME PLEASE.

I didnt mean the kit itself was 150, sorry. The kit was almost 40. I bought lots of other things

The picher, bamboo stirring sticks, samplers fragerences, molds for tarts and votives, dye. Little things like that. Just so I can have a lot of fun experimenting when it gets here.

I was wondering how far a pound of wax goes. Like with making votives and tarts(one ounce)

Someplace to put it all. If you don't plan for it then your $150 kit (seemingly) suddenly explodes into hundreds of dollars worth of supplies and it is everywhere.

So I recommend purchasing some inexpensive shelving and/or cupboards and streamlining your workspace as early as possible. ;)

nah you don't need space, i just keep telling my kids that the wax is their new pillow......lol....oh & hubby likes the jar cup holders beside the bed.....oh & them tart molds make GREAT sundae dishes........:laugh2: . i agree the presto pot & heat gun are a godsend, but yes space & LOOOOOOOOOOOOTS OF IT!!!!

Works faster and last longer, and you know, everyone like a big gun.:wink2:

OMG i bought one for $20.00 and it lasted me almost 5 years, hell actually i still have it and it works awesome,, bigger is not always better!

I agree with the scale, you need a very accurate one, mostly because once you start reading this board, your gonna want to venture into the B&B section.. LOL ask me how i know!!!

Someplace to put it all. If you don't plan for it then your $150 kit (seemingly) suddenly explodes into hundreds of dollars worth of supplies and it is everywhere.

So I recommend purchasing some inexpensive shelving and/or cupboards and streamlining your workspace as early as possible. ;)

No kidding about where to put it all. My sister says she can't stand it here and is coming Thurs. to help me clean and get organized. Stuff is everywhere, and it's impossible to cook food. IT'S EVERYWHERE! Floors, counters, furniture! I'm afraid of what she'll do!

No kidding about where to put it all. My sister says she can't stand it here and is coming Thurs. to help me clean and get organized. Stuff is everywhere, and it's impossible to cook food. IT'S EVERYWHERE! Floors, counters, furniture! I'm afraid of what she'll do!

Snap...I can't remember the last time we ate a meal at the table together.

Another must have is a thermometer, a candy one is fine.

Sally.

A digital scale for weighing, a candy thermometer, a presto pot, and yes someplace to store everything when you're not using them.

My husband bought me an inexpensive storage cabinet just so I didn't have everything stuffed into boxes where I couldn't find things when I needed them.

Once you start making candles, you'll soon learn you'll want a lot more things and need a lot more places to store your supplies. Believe me, I know!

:D

it is always good to have a few rolls of paper towels on hand and wax paper to cover the surfaces of your work space it makes clean up a lot easier especially if you work in the kitchen and a notebook so that you can take notes of what you did to make a certain item so that you can duplicate it or improve it.. and all the other things mentioned..heat gun, presto, etc. work gloves to wear when using the heat gun because burning flesh hurts and smells really bad

digital scales, paper towels, notepad, plain paper for when you can't find your notepad lol, tape for taping what size wick i used to the jar, space and more space, i haven't seen my dining room table since i started or the floor underneath it or the tops of most of my furniture. you will find this is a very addicting venture you have started soon it will be b&b and then anything else that can be made to smell good. air freshners, carpet freshners, the list can go on and on. welcome to the insane, fun world of scented pleasures.

Today is my first day on here, And boy am I happy I found this site. I have been to so many and it has been overwelming. I am about to recive my 1st candle making kit, I am starting with soy wax, making tarts and votives. Can anyone tell me the absoult ( I am the worlds self proclaimed worst speller) most important thing you purchased to make everything easier. I have purchased about $150 worth of stuff to start out. :D

I love candles so much and desided after hearing someone elses experince with making them that I could too. When starting out though what is most important to have?

So many people say so many different things and I just dont know...HELP ME PLEASE.

hi and welcome, what do i need come on people lets not forget to tell her she NEEDS LOTS OF MONEY.. lol lol .. have fun and as far as spelling well i use the check spelling on the top right hand corner it works lol

Remember that alot of the stuff you need you can find at your local dollar store. I get my plastic table coverings to put for pouring, bamboo stir sticks, little extras you need like scissors, tape, some glass containers you can find at the dollar are good for burning candles or pouring candles. I find that sometimes Ebay has good prices on molds-they can be expensive. Try buying small sizes of fragrances to start out just incase you dont like them. This is a GREAT site and the people here are AWESOME....so if you need help just ask and you will get more info then you expected. So helpful!

Thanks everyone for helping out. I think the only thing I dont have is the presto pot, which I am picking up tomorrow and the scale. Is there a certain one I should look for?

I have been writing everything I find in my nootebook. I was happy to see everyone else does to, I dont feel so silly now.

Can't wait till the rest of my stuff comes in!! I got my first box today!

hi and welcome, what do i need come on people lets not forget to tell her she NEEDS LOTS OF MONEY.. lol lol .. have fun and as far as spelling well i use the check spelling on the top right hand corner it works lol

Amen on the $$

I got my first scale from WalMart -- a Good Cook digital scale. I don't use it anymore because it measures in increments of 1/8 ounce and I didn't want to have to convert from fractions to decimals. I now have a Tanita KD 300 which measures in increments of 0.05 oz.