Marketing Bologna - Mumbo Jumbo

I agree with Bella Soy that there is TOO much information on that web site. I clicked on the link out of curiosity, but after reading about two paragraphs of her life story and scrolling down to see there was still a WHOLE lot more to read, I closed out of the site. Blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't see how it's helping her.

Of course there is one particular site in the top 5 in a google search for "soy candles" that has so much information on their home page that it crashed my old computer when I clicked on it. Yet they're right up there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point of this uproar. This is how businesses advertise. They make huge claims, glittering generalizations to get people to want their product.

Yes, their product may be better than no one else's, but EVERYTHING is like that. Watch a commercial sometime. It's the cold, hard, world of business. Everything on her site could be true, just with her spin to it. It's what marketing companies get paid to do, and get paid a lot for. She may count her steps as seven, so what? Maybe I could break mine down to ten, and put it on a site. Instead of saying she uses 6 or 8 percent fragrance, which to the layperson doesn't sound like much, she states that she uses 30 percent more. She's not lying, she's just stating it in a more blown up way. It doesn't make her a liar, it makes her a person who uses over the top marketing skills.

What commercial are you referring to which spouts of downright falsehoods? I don't know of any. I find it humorous that those who find nothing wrong with it, have yet to point out anything comparable, in mainstream advertising, other than "Choosy moms choose jif" which doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing.

Again, rather than stating..."that's what everyone does..." give an example...You will see that they don't exist as readily as you think they might.

Why would we ever decide to use soy based fragrances? Well, we learned that commercially made fragrances are made in a carrier of petroleum oil. Yuck! Toxic and not as strong! The petroleum oil takes away form the purity and potency of the scent

I admire and try to learn from good marketing and advertising. I wouldn't disrespect it by saying this drivel is comparable. It's similar to other amatuer stuff I've seen. Long-winded, poorly written and misleading. Desperate hype. If it were done on a larger scale, there are bits and pieces that might run afoul of the law.

However, I can think of one slick commercial that ran recently and got on my nerves. It was for sunglasses that darken when exposed to light. It features a futuristic setting with futuristic people coming out of a building with their glasses turning dark.

You would think they'd be advertising the benefits of their unique feature, but they don't. The truth is, this technology has been around forever and is only marginally popular. People don't really care that much. The glasses never get completely clear and they don't turn quite dark enough. So how to sell them if it's proven that people aren't impressed?

What they do is confuse the viewer by concentrating on the fact that the glasses offer UV protection, and deliberately leave the impression (without explicitly making the claim) that the UV protection is a unique feature along with the changing color of the glasses. In reality, the UV protection is common to all good sunglasses.

I honestly don't believe that she intended a knowledgeable chandler to be shopping on her site.

You may be right about that...when I read her story it didn't make too much sense. She said she first started making soy candles for her brother's wedding shower. The ingredients arrived two days before the shower. Granted she has made candles before (using a different wax) but this being a new wax to her, any knowledgeable chandler can tell you it takes more than 2 days to test and get it right. She did go on to write that those first candles didn't turn out well, but then, any knowledgable chandler would know they shouldn't have gone out the door in the first place.

It seems to me they are just opening themselves up for lawsuits.

1. 100% all natural stabilized soy wax

can any flamable product ever truely be 100% stabilized

2. Our Intelliscent Fragrances are wonderful! They are healthy when burned

cringe - I truely think this is a big no, no. They are no health benefits to

burning candles

3. Pure Integrity Soy Candles burn beautifully even down to the very bottom!

You are not supposed to burn a candle down to the very bottom! Here they encourage their customers to do just that.

Now on to the facts she states of the larger companies, very much grounds for a lawsuit.

1. Most candle manufacturers use only the standard scent load capacity, creating average-scented candles. Some of the time candle makers will pour scent over the top after the candles have completely solidified. This way when you smell them they smell great but when you light it, the candle has little to no scent or perhaps the scent slowly lingers out.

If I were a large company, I would want to know how she got a hold of

our "trade secrets" becasue that sounds like what she is passing off.

She is also accusing large companies of poor business practices and

product deception.

2. Believe it or not some of your national known candle companies are using the wrong size wicks! Can you believe it!!!

Again, a trade secrets thing and passing her opinion off as stated fact.

And finally the truth in advertising lawsuit

Pretty much everything she says can be contested. I say this because most of what she claims is measurable, such as the strongest scented or out-perform all other candles. Now if a lawsuit is filed and it is found that her claims are correct then she can continue using them. If it is found that her candles are just equal to other candles she'll have to stop.

Anytime someone makes claims of being the best or the -est (strongest, longest, fastest) at something they are open for TIA lawsuits. When they make these statements, they make their product measurable. Their product is above everyone elses and can be tested to uphold that fact. And lawsuits are filed on these statements. Several years ago, Papa John's Pizza's advertising statement was that they used the freshest ingredients (sp?). Lawsuit was filed and it was found that they did not use the freshest ingredients; theirs were as fresh as other companies but not more so. Therefore we now have "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" which is acceptable because they probably do use better ingredients than some companies but not all.

All that being said, who's going to file the lawsuit? That's the only way to get anything changed. But it would be interesting to see how Yankee Candle's legal department would react.

Several years ago, Papa John's Pizza's advertising statement was that they used the freshest ingredients (sp?). Lawsuit was filed and it was found that they did not use the freshest ingredients; theirs were as fresh as other companies but not more so. Therefore we now have "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" which is acceptable because they probably do use better ingredients than some companies but not all.

Actually it was the "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza" slogan that Pizza Hut sued over. They won initially but Papa John's won on appeal, so that's why they're using the slogan today.

What commercial are you referring to which spouts of downright falsehoods? I don't know of any. I find it humorous that those who find nothing wrong with it, have yet to point out anything comparable, in mainstream advertising, other than "Choosy moms choose jif" which doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing.

Again, rather than stating..."that's what everyone does..." give an example...You will see that they don't exist as readily as you think they might.

'And what I am telling you is, what is she lying about? What can you PROVE, that she is lying about? I made my point clear, I didn't say that advertisers lie (although I am sure some do)

For the record, and to be prosecuted, you don't have to "prove" that she's lying about anything. The burden of proof is often on the advertiser to "proove" that those outlandish statements are true, and, many in this case, aren't.

Funny how some people walk around each day with blinders on. I can't understand how these people are even able to see the sun rise or set.

For the record, and to be prosecuted, you don't have to "prove" that she's lying about anything. The burden of proof is often on the advertiser to "proove" that those outlandish statements are true, and, many in this case, aren't.

Funny how some people walk around each day with blinders on. I can't understand how these people are even able to see the sun rise or set.

Yep, I often bump into things, with my blinder induced eyesight:rolleyes2 .

And, whoever said that she probably doesn't expect experienced Chandlers to buy from her, is probably exactly right. She is looking for people who believe blown up advertising.

No matter what anyone says, you just aren't going to see the point. It's not about blown up advertising. It's not about her saying that her candles is the finest candle ever made (which is a matter of opinion, even if it is not really true). It's about outright falsehoods, like stating that "the big candle companies use wrong sized wicks" and that "the pour at extremely low temperature because otherwise it burns off fo."

I'm getting the feeling that you are probably somehow involved with the website, which might explain why you aren't quite understanding what I'm saying, or what most others in this thread are stating.

Okay not to argue over this just to make it known that many companies use deceptive marketing messages to make their products look better...and I will not count infomercials since 99% of those are BS.

Here are some examples besides choosy moms choose jif

K'NEX- exaggerates about how fun, easy and cool it is...if you have never used this it isn't as easy as it is protrayed.

Any Diet Pill- " Used with a proper diet and exercise"....HELLO anyone who has a proper diet and exercise regime will lose weight.

Most cologne and perfume- try to protray an image that their scent and theirs alone will create effects that are often unrealistic...ever seen an AXE commercial.

3 Musketeers- says it is a low fat food...read the label...they lied

Ford Windstar- the van in the commercial is the luxury edition, but yet they show that luxury van at the standard model price of $19,960 when in all actuality to get the van in the commercial it is $27,585

L'Oreal has been hit twice with false claims the first being their anti wrinkle cream...they stated that 76% of 50 women had results...the ASA stated that after investigation there was not enough evidence to support that it was anything more then cosmetic.

Second was their cellulite cream- they stated that it was judged best anti-cellilute cream in an independent study...when in fact the ASA determined that their consumer study was limited and not scientifically(sp) evalutated.

And last but not least our own president George W. Bush has had misleading and inaccurate commercials.