Marketing Bologna - Mumbo Jumbo

This is thread is getting steered (?) offcourse. I'm surprised Vicky hasn't pulled it to the Business Side forum yet, however it has been a lively discussion. We should leave the politics out, that is a whole other thread for another time. Besides, if anyone was the King of weasel words it was Bill Clinton. He said he did not have sex with Monica Lewinski, since he was on the receiving end, she was having sex with him, but he was not having sex with her. The old "eating ain't cheating" defense.

Ok no more politics :rolleyes2

geek

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy you folks are sooooo easy to get riled up. Someone states an opinion and you all act like they are saying their word is GOD and that because they spoke their opinion the world will end tomorrow!! This thread is just too funny!!!

BTW - See ya'll online tomorrow!!! ;)

I was not nor will I ever bash a president even if I didn't vote for him. It was an example. CC asked for examples and I put them out there, not to argue or debate over it and certainly not to talk politics.

The point was that decpetive marketing happens all over the place from the makeup companies to the President of the United States(whomever he may be). It doesn't make it right but it does continue to happen.

Those are all cases that I found on the internet plain and simple. They are not how I feel. I think this has been a wonderful discussion...what some people perceive as marketing strategy others find offensive and out and out lies. I would think that without clarification, or someone doing their own independent testing we will never know if her processes do infact produce a better candle or not.

When I said that I believed she did not intend for an experienced chandler to shop on her site was because she has her site worded for those that are looking for the hoo ha and the blah blah blah. I did not mean that I agreed with her line of marketing just that it happens all the time, and the thought probably never crossed her mind that someone with knowledge would read her site and say WTF??? IMO it is better to be straight and to the point with the customers....on a need to know basis. I don't believe that they need to know that you pour cooler or your reasoning behind it,anyone who makes soy candles pour cooler, but her customers don't know that unless they frequently ask a ton of questions on other candle sites. I don't believe you need to explain why you have two wicks in your candles...but by god if you honestly feel that it is important information to move your candles then by all means that is your right and if you lie there will be a customer that will call you on it.

All I really have to say, as a consumer of candles, not as a candle maker (I'm really still a novice :P) I never read (past tense) the crap people have on websites about the product, I doubt few people read more than a few lines before they go on to look at the product, too much text is sort of a turn off in web design anyway, we're impatient and we want to see what you're selling!

I'm not saying that (and again, I only skimmed the site because I have the attention span of a rabbit) that what she says isn't or is truthful, I just think it's a waste of space and personally I turn off to see so much text crammed on the front page. Also, she writes very poorly, if this marketing strategy is working for her, than good for her, she must be doing something right.

No matter what anyone says, you just aren't going to see the point. It's not about blown up advertising. It's not about her saying that her candles is the finest candle ever made (which is a matter of opinion, even if it is not really true). It's about outright falsehoods, like stating that "the big candle companies use wrong sized wicks" and that "the pour at extremely low temperature because otherwise it burns off fo."

I'm getting the feeling that you are probably somehow involved with the website, which might explain why you aren't quite understanding what I'm saying, or what most others in this thread are stating.

ROFLMAO.. No, I have no affiliation with the site, but I love how you are trying to twist things. Why are those things falsehoods? If you pour at a really hot temp, FO WILL burn off. Maybe SOME candle companies do use the wrong sized wicks. Just because YOU don't like what she/he says, doesn't make them a liar. They are SPINNING things, not lying. There's a difference.

Someone previously, in this thread, brought out, point by false point, on their website, how they could, theoretically, be prosecuted for the type of falsehoods they are spreading.

It is important that you understand most candles are made using automated machinery, requiring the temperature to be much hotter. Why is this a problem? Pouring at such high temperatures causes a great deal of fragrance to evaporate out of the candles. More importantly, a large percentage of fragrance rises to the top of the candles leaving little scent at the bottom.

If you don't see that as a falsehood, or something shameful to say, then frankly, you aren't even worth discussing this with. This is a waste of my time, and those who are able to see through this. I have no problem with a "hard sell" or stating opinions like "Ours are the finest scented soy candles in the world" because, by definition, opinions are just that, however, when you try to pass off "two wick technology" as something that only YOU are doing, and you tell people that the national brands are burning off oil because they have to use machinery (never mind that this, in and of itself, isn't true, as many national brands hand pour their candles...and I know this for a fact...even if on a larger scale), then you are lying, and putting forth falsehoods.

Again, take off the blinders, and see this site for what it's worth...nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I just can't help myself :laugh2::laugh2:

I have never even heard of this candle maker before now so her marketing tactics must not be working very well. As far as her being open to lawsuits, that is correct. My brother-in-law is a corporate attorney and I asked him to check the website out and give me his opinion and he said, "I don't have to know anything about candles to know that her claims are a lawsuit in the making."

He went on to say, there is a big difference in putting "spin" on something and passing information off as fact when it is only an opinion. She would never win a case and if anyone could prove they lost business because of her advertising, she could be liable for damages. The very least she would have to change what she says.

Anyone need a good lawyer :laugh2:

• 7 years later...

I am responding to an old thread but it's a very interesting one! I am a soy chandler as well and this company in question is my biggest competitor (as it appears in search engine results and on the candlefind forum). It's been a great point that most customers won't read her page, but they are still buying her candles and still loving them (at least according to candlefind where they state hers are the most favorite soy candle). So that's why I ended up reading her content - to see what makes her more special. That's when I found the page in question.

It boggled me & I thought about it for days - what could her 7 step process be? My husband & I (my partner in life AND in soy) figured it MUST be:

1. melt wax

2. add FO

3. stir

4. let cool

5. stir again

6. pour

7. center wick

??? I was so happy to find this thread!!!!!!! I still plan on purchasing one of her candles, in a scent that I make as well, and comparison-burn. Has anyone else done this? Are they really that much stronger?

It's your biggest competitor and you've never bought anything from them? Why not?

This is a 7 year old thread that was controversial at the very least. Maybe you work for pureintegrity? With their advertising methodology I wouldn't put it past them to use a shill.

Sorry, maybe that is a bit of a leap but it's uncommon to resurrect a thread that is so old.