Beware of your competitors...

TMeeks

Here's a good piece of advice for those of you who have competitors out there.... Watch the questions you ask on this message board, because chances are, your competitors are!! I'll try to make this short (hahaha)

I work in a salon, my "real" job of 14 years. I began making candles 2 1/2 years ago and began selling almost 2 years ago in my salon. I started small, and had a great response! One of the lady's I work with decided she was going to take over her son's "candle company" and begin making candles as well, selling them also in the same salon. I started with containers without dyes. Very natural, and pure looking...Low and behold she did the same thing. Then, always striving to be different, I spent many months learning how to make and testing pillars candles and votives (Thanks to Trish and all of you guys!) Within a week of me debuting them in the salon, she brought in her pillars and votives. She even started making her hang tags the same way as mine! This, however, was the last straw, and where all of you guys come in..

I spent weeks, and I do mean weeks, working with "Bizzy B" to design the perfect logo for my company. I finally got exactly what I had been looking for! I posted my design on here to get advice and I was ready to take my new design to the printers to have labels made. Silver foiled Oval labels with black print... ( accented with black hang ties, and bows) I went into work on a Wednesday morning, disk in hand ready to go Office Depot on my lunch break, and low and behold, she had all of her container candles in cello bags with black bows, black lids on her large containers, and professional labels made looking almost identical to my design and color style!!(Black oval labels with silver writing) Not kidding!! I cried, in the privacy of my own car, all the way home.:cry2: Now, I feel like I am back to square one. The only thing I can figure out is she is reading all of my post on this website to find out what my next move is.

Anyone have any ideas how to handle this situation?? I would confront her, but she has a very strong personality... I would go ahead with my idea, but I don't want people thinking I copied her... Any help or suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I don't have any advice for you. But I am so sorry that this happened. I would be a little bit flattered because apparently this person likes your stuff so much they are coping you. And one the other hand I would be very upset too.

I would hire a hit man to beat her ass!! LOL. Okay so you don't want to go to jail. Sorry I really don't have any advice. That is why I do not post my wax/wick/FO% combos on here or anywhere. People have called me selfish and rude about it, but then I wonder why they wanted it so bad in the 1st place. Anything I type on this board (or say in real life), I do with the assumption that is could be used or heard by someone I compete with etc. So I don't want my competition to know it, well then I don't say. If you read some of my posts, I am really quiet about whom I buy oils from too. ;)

Edited to add, if you are the competitor and reading this, you are about as low as pond scum ~ Shame on YOU!!

Ouch! That bites! One of the best things about this board is being able to see what others do, tired and true methods. To get ideas, not blatantly copy. I think I would have to confront her. Maybe ask where/how she came up with her ideas. Good Luck.

If there is one thing I've learned since joining boards and message lists the four years I have been doing business is keeping secrets.

Please, I do not want you to take this the wrong way because what happened to you is shitty. The lady that did this to you is a royal bitch and if I were you I would probably go and punch her teeth out... (ok, must be the hormones lol)

but anything you share on a message board is fair game.

I would wait next time before all my things were made (and copywrited) before I shared them with the world. I always feel that everyone is watching when I post, so I try not to be too open about things - but what happened to you can happen to anyone.

If I were you, I would revamp all of my products (either by myself or with my label person) and beat her.

Chin up and move on - you know your stuff is better, she knows your stuff is better, so go out there and make sure EVERYONE knows your stuff is better :)

By the way, if you are reading this post copy catting witch - you should be ashamed of yourself. Why don't you get your own ideas? How pitiful are you? Hope you don't get a wink of sleep at night.

Strong personality is NOT how I would describe such a loser. Just keep your head up and know that you are the better person here. It's a shame that this "person" has no imagination or artistic ability whatsoever. Whoever this person is, I challenge them to have the courage to speak up. This is probably the way she has gotten through her entire life: copying others work and taking credit for it. She does sleep well at night because she has no conscience. I take pride in my work and that's something she will never know.

Isn't it such a shame that some people are completely inept of being capable to produce their own work? I mean for gosh sakes, originality!!

T, I know what I would do, but since your competition apparently reads here, I don't think I should write it. However, next time I wouldn't unveil anything here. Guess that's why several of us have stopped doing so ... to avoid the thievery, or wonder if it exists.

Strong personality is NOT how I would describe such a loser. Just keep your head up and know that you are the better person here. It's a shame that this "person" has no imagination or artistic ability whatsoever. Whoever this person is, I challenge them to have the courage to speak up. This is probably the way she has gotten through her entire life: copying others work and taking credit for it. She does sleep well at night because she has no conscience. I take pride in my work and that's something she will never know.

I completely agree with this statement. If her personality was so strong than she'd have imagination enough to come up with her own ideas, rather than stealing someone else's. What an absolute loser!

Hugs to you. Have a nice cup of tea and come up with a completely unique, classy idea to sell in the salon. If she copies your new idea I would confront her, strong personality or not. Also, maybe you should think about using words like 'original' and 'unique' on your labels, to distinguish them from her junky ole' candles?

My mom's neighbor used to do this same thing: my mom would plant purple flowers and the neighbor planted the same ones. My mom got a new garage door and within a week the neighbor did the same. My mom planted a rose bush and guess what happened within a few days? My mom was really angry about it until another neighbor came along and said in hearing of the copying neighbor, "Oh Rosa, you have such original ideas that people are copying you!" People usually are aware who has an original idea, and they have very little respect for the person who is the copier. I'm sure the quality of your candles stands out as well.

Thanks for the support and advice everyone, it really does suck! Especially when she has been overheard saying "Come look at my stuff, they are basically the same. I get my stuff from the same place she gets hers from!"

Lorrie -- That's what my husband said, "I should be flattered". I would be if it were someone else, somewhere else taking pieces of my designs and adding to it to make it there own. Definately would be flattered!

BrandNew..-- I totally agree. I love this board. I have learned so much from it and have shared ideas when I can. I've used several ideas I've gotten off of here and revamped them to make them "my own". I think the only way we learn is through others, it's just sad that some people have to stoop to this level.

TexasBrat -- I did that, made something ridiculous and low and behold the next week she had the same thing.. My co-workers and I had a good laugh! (trying to keep the situation light)

Daisy -- Unfortunately I am an independent contractor and it is not my salon, otherwise, she would be out on her A$$!!

And not to be tacky, but...I hope she does read this, maybe this will get the point across, once and for all!!!

I'm really sorry that this happened. I know it must hurt to work so hard on something only to have someone else undercut you. I am also pretty careful about what I give away on here because I know that there are people out there who would try to copy my candles. I don't really have any advice for you. I know the kind of person you are talking about and I'm not sure that confronting her would be the best idea. I would probably leave my candles in the salon, but also work on getting other wholesale/consignment stores and don't say anything about them to anyone in your salon. You know that you work hard on your candles and that they are superior, so try to stay down about it. Everything comes back around.

Thanks Angela.

I am fortunate enough to have my candles in other salons and high end boutiques. The only reason I even keep them in the salon is because many of not only my clients, but other people's clients by from me on a regular basis. Otherwise, I would pull them out completely!

I'm sorry this happened to you. It seems likely she is reading your posts here because it would be too much of a coincidence that she came up with all the same ideas as you. It's certainly a good idea not to post too many details on how you do things here. Everything here is available for all to see, which is why I'll ask and answer questions in sort of a general way rather than going into very specific details.

That is horrible, but remember this just because this person gets her supplies at the same place, gets your ideas from your posts NEVER means that her candles are the same as yours.

You have many many people on here that use the same products and get totally different results.

Next time this person (and if that person is reading this SHAME ON YOU!!!!) states to check out her candles cause she gets her supplies from the same company tell her are you sure about that?? WTF is she doing digging thru your trash to find your receipts?? I would hope that a supply company would not divulge customers information to someone else.

I can say there are definitely some un-original people here. I know for a fact there are several who come here, swipe ideas and run back to their other little "private" forums and share "their" ideas. When someone has the nerve to call them out on it, suddenly they get banned from the other forums. They ususally don't give credit for where they get their ideas, they just want to look like experts among their forum peers. The ones who are doing this, you know who you are, and you suck.

There. I've said it.

It is a sad truth that you can't trust anyone anymore. I don't know how I would handle it if I were in your shoes, but I can tell you I would definitely be livid over the situation. I would give you ideas, but your idea thief of a co-worker would probably read them here, so I will just PM you with them instead.

Aw, I'm sorry this happened to you. I know how you fell-I have a "copy cat" in my area as well. She can't seem to do things on her own, has to follow me around. But-it looks bad on her-all my customers tell me all about it.

My moto--- "follow the leader":p Feel good that she can't come up with ideas on her own--your imagination and ability to design things on your own will serve you well.

Keep your chin up hun--sometimes it is best to keep some things to yourself until all your eyes are dotted and t's crossed. I have a few fellow board members on here that I trust totally, and they help me out when I don't want to share it with everyone just yet...

You know-it's been said even the "big guys" browse the boards for ideas and trend watching....:mad: