Water jacket Wax Melters

Anyone have a water jacket wax melter? If so, how do you like it? Does it heat up well, is their issues with it? Looking at getting one, and could use all the help that I can get, lol!

If you do have one, what size, and how long have you had it? I have a ton of questions for ya :D

Anyone have a water jacket wax melter? If so, how do you like it? Does it heat up well, is their issues with it? Looking at getting one, and could use all the help that I can get, lol!

If you do have one, what size, and how long have you had it? I have a ton of questions for ya :D

Oh no... Heather is out blowing money again! :D

Oh no... Heather is out blowing money again! :D

Don't you know it :D Naw seriously, I have thought about one, mainly cuz I still do not pour in large batches. I have so many freaking fo's, so that is hard to do, lol! I generally pour about 1/2 dozen or so at a time, but the whole thing is that by the time the presto gets stuff melted, I have that delay in there. Phone calls that screw me up don't help either :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have this new wholesale account, and they just got ahold of me today for another couple hundred of dollars of product. They just ordered 500 a few weeks ago. He seems to be selling them fairly steady, plus he has 2 women that are taking them to their places of employment to sell. Plus with the parties that I have lined up (1-2 a week), I need to be able to pour these faster and keep up with my b/b. Plus still rest after the surgery :rolleyes: (yeah, like that will happen, lol)

So now you have the whole sorid story, lol!

I have a direct heat with a high & low switch & temp control holds 100 LB's. I leave mine on 24/7 on low & keep a votive/pillar wax in it. I have had it for 4 years & the only problem I had is a broken switch which I replaced. Like I said I leave it on 24/7 for 4 years with no problems.

I don't like the water jacketed kind because you have to keep adding water. The heater on them is like a home water heater if you turn it on without water or let it go dry the heating element will go out.

I have both I prefer my direct heat one best. I have a 175lb direct heat and a 200lb water jacket. The direct heat will melt you wax in half the time because you are not having to heat the addition water. Mine direct heat melter is temp controlled I just set the temp and it heat to that temp and stay there. the water jacket is not really you can regulate the water temp to a point but you wax temp and the water temp will not be the same unless both the water level and wax level are the same in the melter.

I have a 80lb water jacket melter. It is split to hold 40lbs on each side, right now I have container wax on one side and 1343 on the other. It does take longer to heat so if I don't have a big order to fill don't use it. Use my presto pot's for smaller orders. Looking into getting direct heat melter to save time. IMO i would go for the direct heat one for faster melting times.

Wow thanx guys! Where is a good place for the direct heat ones? Havent' seen them yet. Although, I got interested in this cuz a company is having a 10% off sale then free shipping :o But will probably hold off until I look around some more and see if I can get a direct heat one!

Prestos would work, but I would much prefer the ease of having it all at once, KWIM? I normally have 2 prestos going now, but it takes a while for the wax to get up to temp after you place it in. I always try to keep mine fairly full, and I just don't like the lull time inbetween!

Just a note, the direct heat melter's are NOT recommended for leaving on days at a time with out supervision.

Unless you buy one used direct heat start at a little over 500.00 and go up from there. The 100# one I bought last fall was free shipping, but it still cost me over a thousand dollars. My temps are off from what the actual dial shows also, so be sure to use a thermometer in ANY melter you get. I set it at 145 and it goes up to over 200F in no time, so you have to really watch the direct heat ones. Its hard to melt a small amount of wax in it also, its just geared for large amounts of wax. If I wanted to melt 10# of wax, I would not use it, the melter will heat up the sides and start to smoke if you don't keep a eye on it. My melter also has a upper and lower temp control like candlemans does.

Bruce

My direct heat melter is a little more advanced and it cost me less than $1000 and that included shipping to me it has a digital temp control and it pretty acurate and no I don't leave mine on unless I am there during the day I keep about 50 lb of wax melted all day then shut it off at night. It is so well insulated that it only takes about an hour the next day to remelt the wax..

Don't have 1000.00, lol! Saw some smaller models that hold 35# that are around 500.00. Maybe I am better off saving the rest, and buying a larger one in the future :confused: I think I will go with the direct heat, it is just a matter of getting the right sized one now, or end up purchasing two! I dont' want to waste the money, although, It would save me now, lol! I hate decisions!

I'm looking to get one too! I don't want anything bigger than a 100lb melter.

I know I'm looking at at least 1500 shipping included. I'm just wondering how much my electric bill will go up.

I too would never leave it on when I'm not home. I make soy candles and I wonder if the flaked wax would melt faster than a slab of wax.

The other thing I wonder is what sort of a plug it has. I might have to have my electricion come out and put in a special appliance outlet for it. :confused:

I will be so happy when this is no longer just research but a reality! :D

I don't plan on leaving mine on, that is why I think I am going to trust the advice on here and just get the direct heat. Just not sure on if it will be now or later!

Fire and Ice: Not sure about the electric bill, probably cant be that much more than a few presto's going. You may need a dedicated circuit though, cuz I am not sure how much amprege it runs. Most seem to run on 110 (the ones that I checked out) but if it runs on 220, then that should be dedicated anyway. Your dryer and oven should run on 220 now. Isn't that hard to do yourself ;)

• 10 months later...

Just saw this thread and thought you folks should know that I spoke with a gentleman here:

http://www.coogarproducts.com/

They are a manufacturer apparently. Their 25 gallon (150+ pounds) direct heat melter sells for $895. That's by far the best price I've seen. He also claims that their machine only puts out 1000 watts or so at any given time and is extremely well insulated and does not let heat out (thereby making the machine more efficient).

Thought you folks should know, especially the ones that were looking at spending $1000 or more.

I forgot what he said about the warranty but, it was a great one (five years maybe????).

I went straight from the double boiler to a direct heat melter. I love the melter cause the wax is melted by the time I set up my jars and wick 'em. But I wish now I had shelled out a few more buck for a larger size.

I did have trouble ordering it. Had to wait a long time for it. So I'm not sure I would want to recommend the company I got it from. However, it is well made but *!@*%#! expensive!

Just saw this thread and thought you folks should know that I spoke with a gentleman here:

http://www.coogarproducts.com/

They are a manufacturer apparently. Their 25 gallon (150+ pounds) direct heat melter sells for $895. That's by far the best price I've seen. He also claims that their machine only puts out 1000 watts or so at any given time and is extremely well insulated and does not let heat out (thereby making the machine more efficient).

Thought you folks should know, especially the ones that were looking at spending $1000 or more.

I forgot what he said about the warranty but, it was a great one (five years maybe????).

That's a good deal. I'm also liking the Mark VII Pouring machine they have. I have no idea how much it is but I'm definitely going to check into it.

I have a 100# water jacket melter,leave it on 24/7 for the past 6 years. I paid $1200.00 for it. I wrapped it with water heater insulation and keep a towel in the spout you pour water in, and I only have to add water every couple of months. The temp says at a steady 150. I love it. I can't imagine having to wait on wax. I can put 5 slaps in at once, come back in the morning and its ready.

I couldn't afford a wax melter, so I cheated! :P I use 2 of the big $25.00 roasters from wally world & 3 presto pots. The roasters take way to long to melt the wax, so I melt my wax in the presto pots.... when melted I pour into the roaster... add more wax to presto's & start making candles. By the time that I have all of the roaster wax used, I have melted wax in the presto pots waiting to fill back up the roasters. Not as easy & a large wax melter.... but way less expensive.