What to use to stir????

Guest Japes

Guest Japes

I have heard paint stirrers mentioned but also saw in a post on here that wooden stirrers introduce air bubbles. What is a good utensil to stir, that is both thick enough, and tall enough (if you are making more than just a little bit of wax), for purposes of stirring?

I've also thought of using stainless steel barbecue utensils like tongs and spatulas. What is everyone's thought?

I got a huge slotted metal spoon at Old Time Pottery for about $1.49. Works great, doesn't hold color or scent. Heat gun and a paper towel and it's clean.

Ditto on the slotted metal spoon.I got mine at Dollor Tree.Wipe it with a paper towel,and you are good to go again.

Anna

Guest Japes

Any place online where you can get those big slotted spoons you mentioned? Also, I've heard alot about heat guns. Where, online, can I get one? Is it what the name would imply? Like a Blow Dryer type thing?

What are your thoughts on the steel barbecue utensils?

Any place online where you can get those big slotted spoons you mentioned? Also, I've heard alot about heat guns. Where, online, can I get one? Is it what the name would imply? Like a Blow Dryer type thing?

If you wanted to use wooden utensils, you could soak them in wax to "season" them, then wipe off between uses. Better still, I use an old butter knife from our old silverware set. Most dollar stores have cheap metal kitchen utensils. A slotted spoon works great in a 4 lb pour pot.

Heat guns you can get for ab 20 bucks at Lowes or any other home improvement store. Wagner makes a two-speed model. Don't use a hairdryer, blows too hard and doesn't get hot enough.

geek

Try Wal-Mart, Kitchen and Hardware departments.

I used to decorate cakes so I use a large icing spatula, works awesome!

ME TOO!!!! I bought about 100 of them, some had black plastic handles and some had wood. Found them cheap at the fleamarket about 5 years ago. Not gona say how cheap they were cause I might sell some here when I get them dug out. ;) They were wilton brand though so they are good quality. Bruce

for those of you who use chopsticks or the plastic utensils....do you find you get your wax and fragrance incorporated well? The plastic utensils don't melt and bend? Seems like they would be too small?? :undecided I use either a slotted (large) spoon or a wooden spoon....the kind from the dollar store with the flat tip seems to be the best for me!

Never tried my wilton spatula.....gonna dig it out and give it a try...seems as if I remember it being rather large.....thanks for the idea y'all!

Debbie

It may have been my post about the wooden sticks. Just my experience after using them for about 3 months. I bought them at WallyWorld and thought they would be a great way to hold my wicks (pinched with a clothes pin.) Then I realized they made good stir sticks too...but later noticed very very small bubbles coming from the stick when I put it in my hot wax. Put the sticks on a hot plate and cooked them, turning until they had been warmed about an hour. put a few back in hot wax NO BUBBLES...so decided it was moisture and stopped using them for stirring...still great to hold wicks!!

For what it's worth.

Mr. G

I use the silicone spatulas. Heat resistant to 400 degrees, sturdy and very easy to clean. Just wipe em up with paper towel and if they need more they can withstand the heatgun......... just feel wood is too porous and I throw enough away (dixie cups, loads of paper towels....)

HTH

Lisa

Guest Japes

How hot should these heat guns get? I'm searching now and most of them, I would think, get TOO hot for wax. Most of them have switches but the lower temperatures are still WAY too hot, I would think

How hot should these heat guns get? I'm searching now and most of them, I would think, get TOO hot for wax. Most of them have switches but the lower temperatures are still WAY too hot, I would think

ya i was terrified of the heat gun. used it for the first time last night and let me tell you...AMAZING! the temperature settings are really high but your stuff's not going to get that hot unless you let it sit in one spot for a while. i used it last night to level off the top of my containers and you just go over each candle about 30 seconds and you're good to go. i would assume it would be the same for cleaning. just leave it on there for a min. the wax melts in seconds, and wipe it away.