White Barn Candles

Well I read a thread somewhere with the topic of discussion being the White Barn Candles from Bath and Body Works. I went and checked out their site, very nice looking candles, then I wondered what they were made of, so I sent an email to find out what type of wax is used in these candles and lo and behold they responded that these candles are a parasoy blend. Well to me that explained the nice look, doesn't explain the price though. Isn't it amazing that they can mark their prices up so much just to pay for the name, then at shows you have customers wanting to cut a deal. Hope someday my business can get that big that I can charge extra just for the name. Sorry just thought I would share and vent a little

I'm with Top on this one. I get this face all the time from other chandlers: :/

But, I've got a great customer base and all kinds of people who are willing to pay what I consider a reasonable price for a high-quality candle. I'm not cranking them out in some factory, these puppies are works of art, darn it!

I agree with Top also. I am bothered by the cheap, crumby candles I see everywhere I go. Those are the ones that hurt our industry. Hats off to the big guys who can command a high price. Let them pave the way. I was in Pier 1 today, snooping. They have a 5" x 11" Pillar- layered, $50. I'm glad they charge that. JMO.

Cheers

Janette

Marketing your candles too inexpensively will erode the market, period.

It is a proven fact that demographics have alot to do with pricing on any item available for sale out there in retail. The prices you could charge for places like Toronto, San Francisco and NYC will be totally different than more rural areas around the country. Your customer base must be conditioned to your pricing structure.

There are many people that would snub a candle that was priced for less than $25.00 for a 4 oz candle. They couldn't even imagine paying less. So never undersell your product. Remember to pay yourself. It's just not about your cost in materials to produce a candle. Other factors need to be considered when you set your pricing. Product development, marketing, waste, labor, utilties and the taxman all need to be incorporated into your final price.

• 1 year later...

I agree!!! When I set up at craft shows I get very irritated with people selling soy candles for next to nothing!! They are not only hurting themselves, but they are also hurting the industry. I work too hard to make a dollar a candle. My time is money, plus its a great product!!

I've heard a good range is $1.50-2.50 per ounce. :D

That price is for container candles. Obviously pillars would be less considering there is no cost for a jar. In addition, jars with lids should be priced more along the 2.00 per ounce price.

This is just what was recommended to me by a candle supplier. I charge more around 1.25 per ounce for my container candles.

I have never burned or bought one of their candles. A few years ago someone gave me one of their jars with a tiny bit of wax still in it because they wanted me to try and find the fragrance. The top half of the jar was completely black with soot. Not sure if that's the nature of how theirs burns or the person wasn't burning it correctly.

Oh..I eventually found the fragrance and he likes my candles better. :D

Maggie

I have to agree I think that too many handcrafted candle makers charge too little. It deflates the market.

I don't buy imported store candles at all but I was on ebay looking to see what candle makers at home where charging and I could not believe how cheap they were selling their handmade stuff at! 8oz jar candles at $3.99! By the time you've payed the ebay and paypal fees you might as well give them away.

Also I'm sure we've all felt the crunch of rising wax prices. My soy wax went up over $20 a case to what I bought in October! Talk about a big ouch. You really have to love this hobby to stay in it.

I've decided to go more artsy with one-of-kind and customized candles with big$$$ price tags and leave the generic stuff to the chain retailers.

I actually charge more for my pillars than my jar candles. I use palm wax to make them and they take a lot of work and craftsmanship to get them just right so I price them accordingly.

I also make layered palm pillars and they are even more. It takes most of the working day to make these and they are just like works of art to me. They need a lot of attention and workmanship to create.