neighbors as testers

Okay I have a question, this has been kinda eating at me. My neighbor has asked to be a tester for my candles, not sure if I am comfortable with that yet. I do have family testing my candles. I have a test sheet to be filled out, but my question is should I have some kind of disclaimer contract for people testing my candles. I have on my test sheet that the candle cannot be left unattended and the proper steps like length of burn, clip the wick, no drafts etc. What do you all do when you have people testing that aren't family?

TIA for any responses

Heather

I use to have friends and family burn testers for me and fill out the test sheets. Basic candle safety warnings given verbally along with warning labels.

At some point I realized that I really needed to see how the candles were burning for myself instead of relying on the test sheet info. Now the only time I have someone else burn a candle for me to test is for an opinion on a new fo and/or throw.

I had a disclaimer kind of thing on my feedback sheets and just had the tester sign the bottom of it when they gave it back. That was the intention, anyway. I've given out about a dozen candles with feedback sheets and have got back a whopping one sheet. No matter how much I try to stress that these aren't just freebies and I do need feedback in exchange for the actual candle, I don't seem to be taken seriously. I'll be doing it all myself from now on. :undecided

Well I always test it myself, then give it away as a SCENT tester.

I do all burn testing, all of it. I'm very picky about how my candles burn so if I know they are burning to my specifications, then I will allow that candle to be tested for scent.

If your neighbor wants to be a tester, consider it a compliment. Go over exactly what you want her to do, give her a tester sheet AND a TIMELINE (can't stress that one enough). BUT make sure YOU have tested the burn yourself and are happy with it before giving it to her. That way the only thing she needs to concern herself with is the scent.

Me too....I test my candles...period. Then after I have burned them for awhile I pack them into huge bags and give them to my sister to burn and smell. The only way I know what is going on is to watch it myself. The only way. I like to watch them hour by hour and see what is developing ...or not...lol....I am usually testing something every day. Just blew out my 5 that I burned for 4 hours this morning and poured two more for a different kind of test.....I will burn them tomorrow.I give a lot of candles away...I trade them for computer help. I trade them for friendship too. Donita;)

Ditto on testing my own. Had a friend testing for me. She would not trim wicks and said , "well, if it burns wrong, you can just remelt it for me"...like hell!! No more freebies for her.

Also, I sent a box of 8 3x6 pillars to my DH's niece with typed, detailed instructions on burn times, hugging procedures, wick trimming, etc. Talked to her the other day & she asked me what I wanted her to do with all the excess wax that she peeled off as they burned down. After recovering from the pain of biting my tongue, I told her that the next time we get together, I'll teach her how to burn a pillar so that there is no wasted wax. If she wasn't my favorite inlaw, I would have reamed her a new one!!! and she'll pay cash for the next box:D

Thank you all so much. I do test for myself,usually once I see that the test is going good I will give to my mother in law to finish them off. Just never had someone outside the family ask to test, but I know she just wants a free candle. I just don't really feel comfortable letting her test anything, she calls the neighbors for the pizza place phone numbers, I think I might just tell her that I am not comfortable letting them leave my house. I think she is an air head and I am afraid she is not going to be a responsible candle burner. I just don't think I could bare if anything happened. I know that my candles won't explode or anything..that part I tested, guess I just am afraid.

lol... you guys made me get out of my seat and go get a tester back I gave to a neighbor! I was there when she lit it up originally, but I've been buggin to know how it's doing. I did promise she'd get it back later.

I'm finding I would much prefer to do my own testing. There's just so much I need to see and smell for myself to truly test it.

Well I always test it myself, then give it away as a SCENT tester.

I do all burn testing, all of it. I'm very picky about how my candles burn so if I know they are burning to my specifications, then I will allow that candle to be tested for scent.

If your neighbor wants to be a tester, consider it a compliment. Go over exactly what you want her to do, give her a tester sheet AND a TIMELINE (can't stress that one enough). BUT make sure YOU have tested the burn yourself and are happy with it before giving it to her. That way the only thing she needs to concern herself with is the scent.

This is about what I do, just have them test for scent. I just ask them to burn it once, fill out the sheet and give the candle back. Then I occasionaly give them a candle in one that they rated highly or one of their regular favorites as a thank you.

I also test burn myself to make sure it is burning the way I want it. Then I give it to testers for scent. My house is full of so many scents and I know I have candle nose so I trust them for the true fragrance test.

I started testing majority myself. Because I never got a bad mark on a tester card except from 2 people (wasnt bad, just not up to my expectations). Which, now they just need to tell me how the scent does. I however, let them burn the whole candle. These two also buy from me several times a month.

So I just use those two people and the rest act like they are mad. oh well, StingerButt is not in the business of handing out free candles. When I go to lunch with one of the two, some of the older testers always ask her "hey see if Nikki has some candles she wants tested"....think not.

Yep, self tester here also, after being "burned" by neighbor testers.:angry2: They just would NOT follow the rules.gif rules, even after I explained to them that the whole reason behind GIVING them the candles was to get their opinion etc.

Of course now those same neighbors won't even buy from me, but oh well, they never did, just always were waiting for their "testers" that they never really TESTED!!! :rolleyes:

I don't have any family nearby either, so it's all about ME!! LOL

I DO give out my B&B products to testers/friends, and they ALWAYS give me the low down so I don't know what it is about the candles. :confused: Maybe they're crap, nahhhhhh LOL

Sounds like your neighbor is a bit flighty (asking for the pizza parlor #'s????) and too much of a risk, and probably is just looking for freebies.

I will also be letting others test for scent only in the future. I gave my SIL several candles with a tester sheet. A couple of times, she would tell me her opinion, etc. about a candle she had burned, then when she would give me the completed sheet, she would have a different opinion written down, so that told me she was not making notes as she went along. There is no way anyone testing will remember these details if they can't keep notes as they go along. I finally just asked her to test for her favorite scents, and she is not even keeping up with that as she tests. Some people just think it is too much of a job, I suppose, to make notes. Others are just not going to be as interested in the details as we are nor watch closely for the issues we are concerned about. I am gradually giving her less to test, as I don't want to make her feel badly or to know what I'm thinking. I really appreciate anyone who is willing to test (not just to get a free candle), because it can take the fun out of candle burning and it is a job to test, but I suppose the reality of it is, noone else is going to really care except the candlemaker who has the most to lose.