Igi 4627

Has anyone tried the 4627 wax from IGI? I've been using J50 since we started the company, but I've been reading about the 4627. The advertisements make it sound good-just wondering if there's a downside.

Also, any ideas on wick choice for an 80/20 blend of paraffin/soy in a 3 1/2" square jar?

I did some serious testing on this wax last year. If you do a search on here, you'll find tons of information to read through.

I found that this wax had the best scent throw of any wax I've tried. However, for me it was too messy and too hard to wick. So, I went back to using J50. J50 has a great throw too, but none of the downsides of 4627. But I think that you should definitely try it out if you're interested. That's the only way to know whether or not you'll like it. :)

By the way, it's messier than J50 because it isn't able to come in slab form. It's sold in huge bags because it has the consistency of vaseline. This stuff gets everywhere and is super-irritating to work with, imho. But, it smells great.

Angela, what wicks were you working with?

I just got a sample from a friendly CT member :D and I am seriously impressed by my first run and wicking with LX wicks.

The throw was incredible actually for a small 6oz candle tin. Fragrance Ylang Ginger & wicked with an lx18.

Angela, what wicks were you working with?

I just got a sample from a friendly CT member :D and I am seriously impressed by my first run and wicking with LX wicks.

The throw was incredible actually for a small 6oz candle tin. Fragrance Ylang Ginger & wicked with an lx18.

I tested with zinc, LX and HTP. The HTP smoked for me in this wax, but the LX were pretty good, so I was mainly working with the LX. Zincs are okay too, but I would prefer the LX over the zinc.

I found that the presto pot was the easiest way for me to deal with the mess of this wax. Slicing off huge chunks was easier than scooping little bits at a time. My biggest problem was that my very nosy cats were all over my box of wax while I was working with it. Trying to get that vaseline-wax out of cat hair is nigh impossible. Kitties don't sit still long enough, lol. DH was just really irritated by it too - he'd go to pet the cat and come away with a sticky hand. :tongue2:

Anyway, it does smell good and if you can get the wicking down, you'll have some great candles. I would definitely get sample packs of lots of different wicks. I found that some FOs would do well with LX, but another would work great with an HTP wick, etc . . . You really gotta test this stuff.

It's interesting to hear people having good luck with zinc. You would think those might mushroom badly in a blend like this.

This wax has a lot of an ingredient that makes it hard to burn. If you've noticed how thick it is when melted, same ingredient accounts that and also how well it sticks to the container.

Theoretically the high flame temperature of HTP gets you the most complete combustion, which I suppose is why the manufacturer recommends them.

• 7 months later...

I have been working for a couple of months with 4627 and found that ECO wicks actually give no visible soot and give an excellent scent throw when lit. I have burned my candles for 2 hours to test and also marathon burn (I know not recommended but need as much info as possible). I am currently using 1oz per lb for fo. And am using 8oz jj.

I have currently three fo's down consistently, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Spice, and Apple Pie.

I also mix and pour at around 165 to keep from getting any scent. Good luck it is a messy wax but man it has gret ct and ht. Hope this helps.

It's interesting to hear people having good luck with zinc. You would think those might mushroom badly in a blend like this.

This wax has a lot of an ingredient that makes it hard to burn. If you've noticed how thick it is when melted, same ingredient accounts that and also how well it sticks to the container.

Theoretically the high flame temperature of HTP gets you the most complete combustion, which I suppose is why the manufacturer recommends them.

When I was using this wax, I tested ecos, htps, cds, and zinc (and maybe a few others - notes are at home) and found that everything smoked and mushroomed horribly for me except the zincs so that became my wick of choice for this wax.

Jen

:D

I have been working for a couple of months with 4627 and found that ECO wicks actually give no visible soot and give an excellent scent throw when lit. I have burned my candles for 2 hours to test and also marathon burn (I know not recommended but need as much info as possible). I am currently using 1oz per lb for fo. And am using 8oz jj.

I have currently three fo's down consistently, Cinnamon, Pumpkin Spice, and Apple Pie.

I also mix and pour at around 165 to keep from getting any scent. Good luck it is a messy wax but man it has gret ct and ht. Hope this helps.

Thank you so much.I will give eco wick a try when testing. I think zinc might work well also. What do you think? Any other test results keep me posted and I will do the same for you. Thanks again for your advice!!!!!!!!!:cheesy2: :highfive:

I am testing a 8 oz tin right now with 4630. I am using 6% FO, 51 Zinc wick, and FO is Cranberry Marmalade. Its buring pretty good, didnt quite make it all the way to edge. Got about 1/4 inche hang up. Gonna see if on third burn it catches up. Its not smoking much, did mushroom but its a zinc so...I think that if I wicked up another might be to big. I am finding that the zincs work the best for me in this wax. I am gonna try the HTPs next time, I forgot I bought a kit from someone in the classifieds while back.