Mission Impossible: Orange scented candle?

Vintagemama

I'm sitting here burning an orange votive - the last one of 24 I purchased as a gift for someone. The fragrance is lovely - the maker calls it "Orange Apeel".

In front of me are three of my candles - two made with "Fresh Squeezed Orange" scent and one with "Orange Vanilla". They are headed for the "Reincarnation Station", where they shall be reborn as tarts.

Both have a BEAUTIFUL cold throw. Literally every person whom I've shown them to has loved these scents. The tarts I've made with these scents have been superb.

Add a flame, though, and it's a different story. My husband says it smells like kerosene - I thought turpentine - no matter, it's not something I want to burn in my home and certainly wouldn't inflict them on anyone else.

This little votive tells me that somewhere there is an orange that works, and I could swear that I saw a web site somewhere with a reformulated Orange scent that was supposed to eliminate the fuel stench, but I cannot find it again.

Is there hope of finding a true orange that doesn't do this?

(BTW, I tried an Orange Chiffon Cake and can't stand the sweetness of it, so that won't do it for me!)

I have yet to find a really great orange.

Perhaps that Neroli Di Orsini from The Scent Works might work. I haven't put it into wax, but the scent is divine. I bought it for B&B.

I'd love to hear what others have to say.

I know 10x Orange Essential oil is very strong. But you would have to anchor it with something to keep the scent from fading in candles.

I use sweet orange essential oil and it doesn't get that fuel smell. Most of the time you can find it way cheaper than FO. I can get it for $7-$9 pp. I generally mix it with other stuff but it really throws well hot and cold, and in many different waxes.

Yep what Robin said.........Genwax's Juicy Bits of Orange is a great straight orange scent with no fuel for me in straight soy or soy/paraffin. I've been using it for 6 years at 1 oz./lb. with no problems. I did try to use 5X orange essential oil.........terrible fuel smell and the scent did fade if the candle sits for awhile. :cool2:

Trust me...I have sampled atleast 15 "orange" oils and every single one had either a light throw or a fuel smell except one place "Royal Aromatics"! Lot #RA30208. This oil is very citrusy without the fuel smell. I drove myself crazy for 2 years acquiring a perfect orange and finally got it.:yay:

Oh, man, if I order $50 worth of RA products (their minimum, eh?), I'll be a divorced woman ;) !

I've several to look for now and it may be time for me to do an ISO on the classifieds board... will definitely be following up when I get my hands on some of these.

Oh, man, if I order $50 worth of RA products (their minimum, eh?), I'll be a divorced woman ;) !

I've several to look for now and it may be time for me to do an ISO on the classifieds board... will definitely be following up when I get my hands on some of these.

Maybe you can buy it from someone on the board? Or trade? Just a thought.;)

I found out the other day that only the first order is subject to the $50 min. After the first order you can have any amount you like, according to the sales woman there.