Hi everyone! I hope I am in the right place! I am a newbie here on craftserver, and I started my candle business in September of 2021. I plan to launch next year. Enough about me and more about why I am making this thread. 

Earlier this year when I started making candles I really wanted to do a soy candle. I got the C3 wax and began mass producing different scents- not knowing how it all works. After lots of wasted money and attempts- because not only was I mass producing candles with this wax, I was also using one wick, then found out that wick didn’t work, so what did I do? I ordered a new wick and mass produced again the following week- and so on and so fourth, going through about 6 different wicks, all while mass producing. I since then switched over to a para-soy wax- IGI 6006. I really love the wax but I seriously can’t figure it out with the wicks. Im almost to the point of doing an all paraffin wax because I know my candle will sell for the meaning behind it…

I lost two children. My daughter passed away in 2014 due to sepsis and my son passed away in 2016 due to pneumonia. I started my business in memory of my babies- every candle will be named after a person. If you would like to see more I’ll link my YouTube here. I am also on TikTok @corrinamallory and my candle page @knlheavenscentcandleco 

please give me advice on what wicks to try and or if I should maybe switch to a paraffin wax? I am soooooo desperate for help! PLEASEEEE! 
YouTube

Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about your children. I hope making candles in their memory will help you heal. 

If you go to candle science and search their wick guide you can put in wax 6006 and the diameter of your jar,  it will suggest wicks. There might be other wick guides but i know candle science has one. Good Luck 💐

Welcome to craftserver. Very sorry for your losses. 

c3 is a very nice wax. CD or ECO wicks should do the trick. The size will depend on your fragrance, fragrance load, any additives and container used. You can swap out wicks to test using a “wickectomy”. 

ALL waxes have different wick needs depending on the container, fragrance, color and exact box of wax you have.  It takes time to figure out which wick no matter the wax. 

6006 burns much easier than C3, an can  easily get too hot if not careful. Small sizes of Cd, eco, and some zinc usually work in that wax. 

if you can share the exact size / dimensions and shape of the jar you use narrowing down the wicks needed will be easier. No matter what someone here (or on wick charts)  suggests, though, you will need to test from top to bottom in typical and power burns, 

before producing, test each combo from top to bottom to ensure the candle will burn safely.  The top of the candle buns different from the bottom half. Wick for the bottom half, not the top to prevent safety issues for your future customers.

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Welcome to craftserver. Very sorry for your losses. 

c3 is a very nice wax. CD or ECO wicks should do the trick. The size will depend on your fragrance, fragrance load, any additives and container used. You can swap out wicks to test using a “wickectomy”. 

ALL waxes have different wick needs depending on the container, fragrance, color and exact box of wax you have.  It takes time to figure out which wick no matter the wax. 

6006 burns much easier than C3, an can  easily get too hot if not careful. Small sizes of Cd, eco, and some zinc usually work in that wax. 

if you can share the exact size / dimensions and shape of the jar you use narrowing down the wicks needed will be easier. No matter what someone here (or on wick charts)  suggests, though, you will need to test from top to bottom in typical and power burns, 

before producing, test each combo from top to bottom to ensure the candle will burn safely.  The top of the candle buns different from the bottom half. Wick for the bottom half, not the top to prevent safety issues for your future customers.

Thank you so much for your reply and encouraging words. 

Right now I am working with an 8oz tin- 6 oz of wax. I have tried 2 Eco 1 wicks and 1 eco 4. I keep getting a fueled waxy smell. I can smell the fragrance but by hour three it’s a fuel smell. I’m using a 10% frangrance load. I tried 6- it didn’t produce any hot throw. I continue to mass produce and that’s where I’m messing up. I am curing for five days with the 6006 wax- all of this mentioned above is with 6006 wax. My tin size is 2.1 inches in height and 3.14 in diameter. When I launch I want to provide two candle the 8oz tin jars and a 13.5 straight side glass jar. I have not tested in the glass jars- should I be doing so aswell? 

The 2 eco 1 wicks with a ten percent fragrance load burned pretty fast with the 6006. By the third hour I burn almost the entire candle. Do you think lessening the fragrance load could help? Because I really liked the hot throw for the first hour and part of the second hour, but I burned too fast and by hour three it became a fuel waxy smell. 

Again, THANK YOU soooo much for taking the time to respond and help me! I really appreciate you! 🥰

6 hours ago, Karen Ov said:

Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about your children. I hope making candles in their memory will help you heal. 

If you go to candle science and search their wick guide you can put in wax 6006 and the diameter of your jar,  it will suggest wicks. There might be other wick guides but i know candle science has one. Good Luck 💐

Hi thank you so much for your response! 

making candles has become the most therapeutic part of my life. I absolutely love it, even while producing horrible candles. I refuse to launch without the perfect candle. I have invested my life to learning to make candles. I have been with the eco series wicks, but haven’t found one that will work for my candle. I’m hoping to find some soon. I’m also wondering if I should try lessening my fragrance load. It’s so tricky but I’m here for it and I’m determined to create a beautiful candle. 

Double wicking is a super challenge in small containers like those. I would not double wick a tin generally. 

when I used C3 in those tins cd were my go to for most scents. Cd 12  - cd 18 depending on the fragrance.  I never went above 9% fo, usually stuck to 8%.  

fragrance sold retail is becoming super challenging too.  Supply chain issues combined with reformulation to meet customer cost expectations changed a lot of how people wick. Every scent an every container needs a full test from top to bottom before releasing into the wild. 

c3 needs at least a week before test burning. 2 weeks is better. 

6006will need much less wick. @bfroberts can help dial you in. Double wicking 6006 in a in will likely get you into trouble with container temps. 

I would put plans to launch on hold until you have mastered the wax you choose. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Too many people jump the gun and regret it. Make candles for the love of it, and if it is what is meant to be it will happen. 

Hi. The Candle Science wick guide is pretty accurate for 6006.  Additionally, they offer wick suggestions for 6006 on the product page for the containers they sell.  Test the recommended size, plus one size up and one size down. Burn the 3 candles side by side to compare the burns.  6006 burns a deeper, more narrow melt pool than many other waxes, so do not wick for a full melt pool until around the 3rd burn, depending on the container. Else it will be too hot at the bottom.  For tins, I don't want a full melt pool until very near the end because otherwise the entire candle liquifies and gets way too hot.

You really don't need more than 6% FO with 6006.  Provided the candle is wicked correctly, if a scent doesn't throw at 6%, it's not usually gonna throw well at 10% either, and I consider it a dud.  Also, 6006 does need to cure.  Not just for throw, but for burn quality.  If you burn too soon, your test results won't be accurate.  It will burn better, cleaner and more efficiently if you allow it to cure a full 2 weeks.  

Most wick series work well in 6006.  I have had great success with CD, LX, zinc, HTP and others, but Eco self trim the best for me.  

• Like 1