CandleScience discontinuing HTP and CSN wicks

13 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I really want to try the 'IGI R2322A GLASS GLOW PALM CONTAINER WAX' but now that CSN wicks are gone does that mean there is no ideal wick series?

There are other series, just not easily accessible in smaller quantities.  V series, for example. 

46 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

There are other series, just not easily accessible in smaller quantities.  V series, for example. 

Is there a size that would work well for 3" diameter containers in general? I'm thinking about biting the bullet on a big bag so I can at least spend some quality time testing that wax. I figured there probably isn't many instances where you'd need a different size because you use such a small amount of FO.

1 hour ago, ErronB said:

Is there a size that would work well for 3" diameter containers in general? I'm thinking about biting the bullet on a big bag so I can at least spend some quality time testing that wax. I figured there probably isn't many instances where you'd need a different size because you use such a small amount of FO.

I would give them a call to discuss. so much depends on your wax and FO.  

I was able to buy other series in small testing quantities of 25 per size in the past. 

Recently learned a new v type series is coming out.  Will buy the whole set once they are available because you never know... 

I contacted CS to see what they said about this, and they said the reason is due to poor sales. Then proceeded to tell me that I should use CD / Eco instead and they don't even know what waxes I use LOL. This is the problem with them, they are just a good facade for noobs and it looks like that's where their main business is. I don't use anything from them anymore, although I am testing the new soy wax for melts / pillars but that's about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ErronB said:

I contacted CS to see what they said about this, and they said the reason is due to poor sales. Then proceeded to tell me that I should use CD / Eco instead and they don't even know what waxes I use LOL. This is the problem with them, they are just a good facade for noobs and it looks like that's where their main business is. I don't use anything from them anymore, although I am testing the new soy wax for melts / pillars but that's about it. 

They could have easily marketed those wicks as superwicks for soy And other natural wax blends and sold them by the 1,000. It’s a shame. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't give up on the RRDs. Try a lower FO load and the next smallest size wick for your jar. I was really surprized what a difference it made with my CSN wicks so am willing to try it out with the RRDs. But I actually got not only a much better flame and consumption but the HT was improved by lowering my FO load and wick size. I use glass glow palm BTW. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

Stock of CSN9 have popped up again at CS, grab what you can.....

Which wax and container size are you using these for? I've not had much experience with this series and thinking of grabbing a bag to mess with since a lot of people say these are the holy grail in some scenarios.

4 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I use the CSN for my straight sided 12 oz jars. Works perfect!! Although I believe you can use them for 8-10oz jars depending on the jar diameter.

I'm looking for something to use with the glass glow palm around 3" diameter

3 minutes ago, Candybee said:

My jar diameter is under 3", but you could try either the csn 9 or 12 to test and decide which is the better size.

The 9 ships from the other coast so I'd have to pay another shipping cost, dammit lol. Is CDN almost the same or are they completely different? Those are the only other wicks I haven't tried.

• Like 1

Just now, ErronB said:

The 9 ships from the other coast so I'd have to pay another shipping cost, dammit lol. Is CDN almost the same or are they completely different? Those are the only other wicks I haven't tried.

You'll need to check with someone else. I only use CSN wicks.

1 hour ago, ellajoan said:

Dang it!  Is there anywhere else in the states you can get CSN wicks?  

As far as I'm aware, there isn't, supposedly they can only be ordered in big bulk amounts from a manufacturer but I don't know for sure I haven't asked them yet.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, ErronB said:

CDNs are not even close to CSNs.  I don't use them but I have tested them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:02 AM, Kerven said:

I had different issues with RRD. Not a lot of soot and smoke. A little mushrooming. The wicks had a tendency to curl and not self trim, so by the 3rd hour mark I had excessively long wicks in need of trimming and uneven melt pools. The flames were too large and ROC high, even when wicking in either direction. Incidentally, mine aren't labeled nst 2, so I'm guessing I have RRD without the treatment?

Edit: Candlewic suggests using series RRD, CD, HTP, ECO, and LX 22/24/26. I wasn't too thrilled with ECO in palm-soy blends. It was so-so.

Edit 2: There are old threads about wicking palm waxes. Here's one for feather palm. There is at least one more thread by the same user about wicking starburst palm. Not sure if there are more - didn't dive too deep. Now, I'm curious about using CDN's since I'm working with both soy and palm.

How do I find the other post on wicking starburst palm?  In another thread I had read several weeks ago someone had referenced these posts.  I looked by user name and date but was not able to locate them.  (Any explanation given needs to be VERY BASIC, please, since I am completely new to this forum thing :)

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Was this it?

I usually use google to search. Typed in 

CraftServer how to wick starburst palm

That was probably it!  Thank you!  I was trying to search within the forum by looking at his posts and isolating date ranges.  I just assumed there was some trick in there I did not know yet...Google will make this much easier.  Ha Ha.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Caravan said:

That was probably it!  Thank you!  I was trying to search within the forum by looking at his posts and isolating date ranges.  I just assumed there was some trick in there I did not know yet...Google will make this much easier.  Ha Ha.

The forum search feature baffles me. I should open a discussion on their board but they use the same software... I need to search to see if others have already written about it and can’t easily search there 😂😅

15 minutes ago, strugglebrother said:

CSN7 wicks now popped up at CS again... 

CDN and CSN isn't the same wick.

I would grab so you have for another year and start testing in the meantime, otherwise you can always order from the UK (they also stock CSN11).

I guess I'll bite, which sizes should I grab to play with for glassglow palm in 3" containers?