Using Shredded Cardboard as Packing?

prs7979

Hey all, I have a question that I haven't found any real answers for.   I shred a ton of cardboard with my heavy duty shredder but am running out of room in my compost bin (my wife isn't into me having a big open one) to put it in.

Are there are safety or regulatory concerns about using shredded cardboard as packaging?   My wife is concerned as far as the look of it, but my main concern is whether or not there are any regulatory guidelines to using your own shredded cardboard.   My initial thought is that as long as it wasn't used to package food it shouldn't be an issue but I honestly have no idea.

Would love to hear any thoughts.

Packaging or void fill in shipments?

I don’t know of any regs against it, and have never looked into it.

It could be nice as a void fill if clean and part of your brand/image. You could do a story about why you chose that material. Some brands flourish with recycled materials when customers expect it. 

one story that sticks out in my head was an artist friend who sold a very expensive piece of pottery on a boutique site. To ship, they picked up a dusty used clay box off the floor and found some random foam to cushion.  It was very functional, and (as they boasted), “ FREE!” I always wondered what the recipient thought. 

if I had just spent $100 on a fine art piece from a gallery, I may have been a little disappointed my purchase showed up packed that way if I did not expect it.  It could have been made a little more “boutiquey” with a clean paper or fabric wrap Inside and an artist statement about reduce/reuse/recycle. 

I don't think there would be any regulation against using shredded cardboard as packing material.  There are many on the market and they are not cheap!  Mostly they are for gift item packaging.

Here is shredder machine just for that use.

https://hypershredder.com/english/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqfz6BRD8ARIsAIXQCf0-RdAbJb9D-l6r2NN4A06FxNJfgHDNKL_vqmyVmO2mH2mXqLQPKC8aAt4oEALw_wcB

I don't know what kind of shredder you have and how it comes out, but your idea should go really well with your rustic look & other candles to be used as packing cushion material.  Go for it!

• Like 1

One of the best things you can insulate your package with is recycled paper, whether it's shredded newspaper or cardboard.  It not only pads the package well, cushions the corners and other fills in the spaces, but it truly does insulate from both hot & cold.  I agree that you should try to use it. 

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

My thought was for filling in voids, kind of like how people use packing peanuts.   I could see it going either way as far as image---I do have Handmade in my business name but my aesthetic is not full-on craft paper and rustic nor is it the super duper slick industrial design like a lot of people seem to to go with.

I'm not sure how possible this is but one thing I have considered it making it an option and maybe I'd provide a small discount if you went with the shredded cardboard and market it as the "eco-friendly" option.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:37 PM, NightLight said:

How do you want to present yourself? If you wife finds it yucky then that give you a good clue what customers might think. Present yourself in packaging the same way you might if going into a gift shop.

Straight to my opinion: I hate it. It's a mess! I end up having to unpack the boxes in the garage by dumping (carefully) everything into a big Hefty bag, because that stuff grows to like 5 times the size of the box it's stuffed into. Then I have one large bag of garbage that takes up 1/3 of the one supplied trash can my community supplies to residents. I'm sorry...but it's just an immediate, "OH NO..." (insert not so polite words) when I cut open a box and find shreds. :(