Order...

Someone ordered some wax melts from me off of ebay. They were delivered on 7/17. Today is 7/23. They claim they only received 2 of them, the others were lost they said... they said the envelope was mutilated. So, I asked to see a photo of the packaging. I used the plastic type envelopes that don't rip so I wanna see this for myself. I don't understand why wait almost a week.

BUT....

Would you refund the money or let paypal deal with it? I know I'd be mad if what I ordered was lost, but I think if they email me photos so I can see how this envelope was destroyed we'll see. She claims she went to the post office and they said they weren't there. 

Anyhow.... opinions on what to do? I've never been in this situation.

It'll take forever to read policies for those two sites I think. I'm checking tomorrow, going to contact the post office see if it did or not, I'm still pretty new to the whole ebay thing w/pay pal. I know after this if there is no ins. on this there will be for everyone else!

I made my living for years selling items on ebay and Amazon, and I've been down this road more than once. 
If it were me, I would refund the purchase price of the items she claims were lost and let it go.  Were it a more expensive item, I'd be inclined to dig in my heels, but IME a low cost item isn't worth the time it takes to fight a claim.
If you are new to online selling, you'll find yourself revising your terms several times before you cover all the bases.  Actually, I take that back.  You never really cover all the bases, because just when you think you've heard it all...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

eBay is rough. I know some suppliers write the weight in grams on the package.   

I used to photograph the package on the scale when packing  and email the pic to buyers. Then I changed my business model To try to  no longer attract The difficult seeming customers.

How many of us have  changed packaging  multiple times as we learned of problems. But like BFRoberts said above, they just keep finding new ways to challenge everything ha ha

Chalk it up to a rather inexpensive lesson if it is a small loss. 

3 hours ago, angielynfox said:

It'll take forever to read policies for those two sites I think. I'm checking tomorrow, going to contact the post office see if it did or not, I'm still pretty new to the whole ebay thing w/pay pal. I know after this if there is no ins. on this there will be for everyone else!

Are you discussing this with your customer in the ebay resolution center?  That's where you should be anyway so you can discuss this on the ebay site.  You might be able to then send a refund for what they feel is fair, I'm not sure how that works.  But at least you can keep on good terms with the customer and you won't get negative feedback.

Ebay will always side with the buyer, I'd just refund the 'supposed' missing melts and put them on the block list if you're suspicious they're scammers.

Also, it doesn't matter what policies you write in the description listings of your own, whatever Ebay's policy is, is how it's gonna go. Crap really but that's how it goes.

Edited by ErronB

Yea as what ErronB said, doesn't matter what my policies are. Ebay goes by their own. Ebay doesn't always side with the buyer. I had someone try and say something wasn't delivered before, but since the tracking showed it was they lost and I won. It was a college text book. This person doesn't want to really work it out because they sent me a message then immediately went and asked for a full refund of the entire amount when they claimed they got 2 of the 7. Which really bugs me. 

Is there an actual "block" list on ebay??? If so I sure would add this person. I just do not believe these bags were destroyed but they got 2 of 7. I believe she got all 7 and wants them for free which is why she waited a week and didn't take a "pic" of the packaging.

Had that happened to me I'd have contacted the seller right away. Yes its in the resolution center. 

Just closing an operations loop, are you certain your package was well secured? Some I receive from suppliers are held together with minimal tape and contents hanging out the sides. 

I learned from UPS to tape *all* seams, and run a “belt” of tape around the waist to ensure it all stays put. Add a belt on both short ends for good measure. 

To deter theft from carriers throughout the process, inexpensive stickers or washi type tape (or whatever) placed over the box seam ends top and bottom of the box under the shipping tape is a quick and easy tamper evidence seal. 

I learned to add tape to the mailing envelopes also. Had a scammer peel open an eco envelope and claim half the things “must have just fallen out”, then say they would take a set of different products for their trouble 🙄 I knew it to be false that some things were missing because I bagged and sealed everything together inside the package. Live and learn. 

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of a co-op story. One hostess used to video tape each package being packed and sealed for proof it was all packed. People get good at claiming their host made mistakes until presented with video proof online. 

• Sad 1

I just hung up with the USPS... the package did have insurance on it (Priority mail) and they are going to go look at the photo's they take of each package that gets delivered. SOOO we'll see if it was mangled or not and see what she got vs what she said she got. I have to wait 24-48hrs for a supervisor to call me with the results of what they find.

People are just unreal!!!! The things they will do! I couldn't imagine ripping someone off. I'm just a very small business, very small! I'm not walmart that I won't take a hit from this ya know? It's sad.

Also she only has 1 review buy/sell on ebay, her account is new so all these things make me question her honesty ya know? I guess I'll find out next week. 

• Like 2

You need to write a policy and put it on every listing. Regarding so called lost items. Tell your customer since you have confirmed delivery from USPS tracking, they need to put in a note to their mail person with tracking number, and also file lost package with USPS.

regarding mutilated packages, you need a photo.

if this wasn’t a large order you can also refund half as person did not provide photos, then on EBay you can ban that customer I believe.

If your policies aren’t clearly stated, EBay and Amazon, even your own website there cannot be any arguments.

People are claiming many things these days as money is tight, and there are always scammers so best to be super clear.

You can put a note in box with policy information, and or go here for policy about your store on web.

I could tell you more about online shenanigan thieves but don’t want to give anyone ideas.

I had a recent issue with the USPS as well except I was the buyer. Tracking was on point and the day of delivery it said the package was on the truck. Mailperson delivers the mail. No package. Tracking then says the package was delivered... but where? Not to my house. USPS site says it could take a day or two before it's delivered. Ok... I waited; apparently tracking isn't "live". Still no package. Filled out the Where's My Package form, which asked for my preferred method of contact (I chose email since I'm working on the phone all day). They called me over and over - not a single email - and stated the obvious: tracking says it was delivered. I already knew that, thanks, but WHERE was it delivered? Waited a week for them to figure it out. Nothing. Then, contacted the company I ordered from, and they submitted a lost package claim. A week later and nothing. I ask the company to verify the address label, which they did (it was correct) and then promptly replied that they were "making an exception", since tracking showed it as delivered, and refunded the order. What? An "exception"? Yeah, that's not offending. I'm the one that spent $ and have nothing to show for it. Granted, they couldn't have known that the package never showed up... but still, an "exception"? Anyway, I submitted a lost package claim of my own because I wanted to know if the package was delivered to the wrong address and I had a thieving neighbor, or an untrustworthy mailperson who kept it, or a micro black hole just happened to fly by my mailbox at just the right time to gobble up that one piece of mail and leave the rest untouched. Still no reply. Apparently, it has vanished into the ether, as has USPS's competence. This almost feels like the Mandela Effect... was there even a package to begin with??? BTW, there was absolutely no chance of theft from the porch because the mail was retrieved less than 20 seconds after delivery. I was out there doing yard work and would have seen someone approaching.

End of rant.

Edited by Kerven

On 7/25/2020 at 4:21 PM, Kerven said:

I had a recent issue with the USPS as well except I was the buyer. Tracking was on point and the day of delivery it said the package was on the truck. Mailperson delivers the mail. No package. Tracking then says the package was delivered... but where? Not to my house. USPS site says it could take a day or two before it's delivered. Ok... I waited; apparently tracking isn't "live". Still no package. Filled out the Where's My Package form, which asked for my preferred method of contact (I chose email since I'm working on the phone all day). They called me over and over - not a single email - and stated the obvious: tracking says it was delivered. I already knew that, thanks, but WHERE was it delivered? Waited a week for them to figure it out. Nothing. Then, contacted the company I ordered from, and they submitted a lost package claim. A week later and nothing. I ask the company to verify the address label, which they did (it was correct) and then promptly replied that they were "making an exception", since tracking showed it as delivered, and refunded the order. What? An "exception"? Yeah, that's not offending. I'm the one that spent $ and have nothing to show for it. Granted, they couldn't have known that the package never showed up... but still, an "exception"? Anyway, I submitted a lost package claim of my own because I wanted to know if the package was delivered to the wrong address and I had a thieving neighbor, or an untrustworthy mailperson who kept it, or a micro black hole just happened to fly by my mailbox at just the right time to gobble up that one piece of mail and leave the rest untouched. Still no reply. Apparently, it has vanished into the ether, as has USPS's competence. This almost feels like the Mandela Effect... was there even a package to begin with??? BTW, there was absolutely no chance of theft from the porch because the mail was retrieved less than 20 seconds after delivery. I was out there doing yard work and would have seen someone approaching.

End of rant.

Wow... I sure hope nothing like this happens. This had insurance so they need to make it right if it was indeed damaged. It's their policy not mine so fix it. When I did tell the girl what was going on she didn't try and back out or anything so I'm thinking a bit more that it really did come damaged. For my own peace of mind I hope that's the case. BUT, I've learned one thing. INSURANCE is a must in this business lol I believe I've used priority for everyone I've sent so not a huge deal, but ya never know.

I had one many years ago that was "delivered" yet I never got it. I did end up getting it a few years later lol No joke!!!! It was ram and by the time I got it I didn't even need it. Ya know someone from the USPS wrote "Oops" on it.......

• Like 1

Well, I did hear something back and she wasn't lying. The package was demolished and resealed but all they are offering is an apology! Seriously???? I'm waiting to hear back from the post master because I wanna know why this isn't being covered by priority mails insurance.

• Like 1

Congrats on winning your claim! Been there and done that is like getting your teeth pulled at the dentist's office. Never a pleasant experience and you always feel like a little something has been 'extracted' from you after all you go through.