What keeps you from succeeding?

Sara

OK, this is a semi follow-up from the "fear of success" thread. What, if anything, is a stumbling block for you? Is it finances? Lack of testing? No motivation? If you are hoping to make money or give running a business a go what might keep you from doing that?

For me, I'm in my 3rd year of business now. I think what mainly keeps me from going "all in" is the fear of success. Is that what I *really* want? There's a lot that goes along with running a successful full-time business. Financial reasons probably come in second, but I think that there are many ways of being crafty and overcoming the small bank account if a person has the drive to succeed. That's why the FOS came in top spot for me.

Honestly it is I have not put this FIRST.I do it whenever.Also I keep doing for others and community work for the animals and the public.So not what I want to do for ME.

I did take a candle to a clinic.No room for my candles as so many cats in my car.So take one.Light it.Everyone loved itBUT one lady said Did you make that candle?YES.She said what do you charge.I charge $5.00 for this 8 ounce JJ.That is what most people charge in this area.The next question was Do you triple scent.NO my candles do fine with just 1 ounce FO per lb.Then she said my sister makes them and she sells lot and lots for only $3.00 each and it is the same candle you have.Now was that a shot down or what???She also triple scents too.

I have taken my candles to the clinics and ususally bring them home.What better place but where maybe 20-30 people come but only thevets buy. Everyone loves them but never buys.

So I have kept from succeeding because I have put other things first.BUT so far this year I think things will be different.I have my domain name, got my Federal TAX ID, starting my website and looking for some other ways to get my candles out there. As far as succeeding that remains to be seen but I do know I cannot compete with $3.00 soy candles.

This is another good topic that makes us want to THINK REAL HARD.I do want to succeed but also want a life.I am late starting this being in my 50's.Maybe I do not have the motivation and stamia that some have.

Something else I need to think about.

LynnS

Well.. I refused to read FOS.. Cause that's me. Totally.. And I didn't want to sit here and cry like a blithering idiot.

Am starting to be happy about the loss of the storefront, so I can just start having fun again. Way too much stress, and unless you make stuff like Bruce does, I just don't see how you can truly make money at this enough to be totally self sufficient. Maybe I'm scared to find out?!

Ok. Back to the question.. The only thing that gets in the way of success for me, is me.

I want the success...but for me, I need someone to come in and just organize me. Analyze & set up my process better. But that takes money...which isn't there right now.

So I guess it stems from fundage. I've already put thousands into this habit/addiction/whatever you want to call it...now its time to roll with it. Get it out of here already. Craft shows don't do it for me.

I'm the kind of person that just wants to take giant steps & move forward. I don't like the baby steps when I see the big picture. I can't wait. I want my vision and I want it now.

___

Side note. I can't stand finishing products. I have how many things sitting here waiting to be labeled. That's why naked is so much better. A retail spot would be wonderful with shelves that are labeled & the products are just naked.

I'm going to say right now learning B&B stuff. It's where all the cash is going lol!

Seriously, right now it's time and money. We'd love to have a space, a shop, etc. That would be awesome, but I would hate to be my own boss and I would hate to have Rockin' be my boss too lol. I really did like the busy, busy, busy weekends we had doing shows, but I might rethink that if I was actually at all of them. Rockin' was and I think he loved it. We've been enjoying most of the time off and looking at cramming more into the schedule also. What I liked about the busy show schedule was the end results ... not the cash, but just that our product was selling and learning.

I would say that to have our own shop would take making an investment of the unknown, because in the back of the mind there's always that ... but what if it doesn't work cuz then you're outta luck.

I charge $5.00 for this 8 ounce JJ.That is what most people charge in this area.The next question was Do you triple scent.NO my candles do fine with just 1 ounce FO per lb.Then she said my sister makes them and she sells lot and lots for only $3.00 each and it is the same candle you have.Now was that a shot down or what???She also triple scents too.

It might be worth a shot to buy one of these $3 candles to see how it works. $5 is already low for 8 oz and I don't see how you could possibly go any lower regardless of your area.

For the $3.00 candles 8 ounce jars were found at garage sales.I don't do that.I agree I would wholesale my candles at $3.00 and cost to make is close to that.

Where I live I have never seen a JJ candle for more than $5.00.If they were they would never sell.

LynnS

With me it's a combination of things. The biggest one is finances. My husband just doesn't make what most people do in our area and it's tough to keep up. The cost of living in my area is pretty high but hubby refuses to move. I have so much I want to do but don't have the funds to do it. Another thing is there are a zillion candlemakers in my area. Also, many people are cheap. They'd rather go to WalMart or Target and buy crappy candles because they are cheap. I have to say that business picks up a little more every year so it's getting there but definitely not enough to live on.

Guest EMercier

The main thing holding me back is money, a decent place to organize my stuff, and school. I do craft fairs and can make decent money there a times. Last year they were great, this year they weren't so great. I switched jobs and lost a lot of sales. I need to get some more going at my new job, but I had a lady say she likes candles, but when I offered my card she turned her nose up. I just shook my head. I'm currently in a housing situation that needs to be better, I'm trying to buy my first house. I need a room dedicated to candles. My dinningroom is not cutting it. I need to be organized to do things. Once I can do that, then maybe I'll be cool. I also need to set up more homeshows. I get good money there. I could do one every weekend and it would be great like a part time job. Sometimes I get lazy as well. I'm burnt out at times. I work FT, got to school FT and looking to graduate in May trying for that 3.7 GPA (currently 3.4). I also want to go to grad school. OH, forgot the whole house thing as well. I have a lot on my plate and if needs be, I take a day off work to make candles for a show. I find that's necessary at times to make it all work. I'm glad I don't have the extra responsibilities of a child or a husband. I get so many people that ask how I do it all. I look at people and honestly tell them "I don't know".

Sidebar (LynnS) - $5 for an 8 oz JJ is what I charge. Any less would be hardly making anything. Don't let people down you. When I get people complaining about how much I charge. I break them down with Yankee and other candlemakers. If they still don't want it, normally I just tell them, well I do fine and for every comment like that I get three other buyers! They normally just buy something and become repeat business.

Sidebar (LynnS) - $5 for an 8 oz JJ is what I charge. Any less would be hardly making anything. Don't let people down you. When I get people complaining about how much I charge. I break them down with Yankee and other candlemakers. If they still don't want it, normally I just tell them, well I do fine and for every comment like that I get three other buyers! They normally just buy something and become repeat business.

It's funny when people get all in a huff about what you charge, but will go to Yankee or somewhere and spend $20 bucks on a jar that ends up sucking!!! LOL

My issue is finances...I would love to be able to buy an ample amount of all of the supplies I need and have some place to store it all.

Its really hard to admit to yourself what is actually holding you back.I not working so have plenty of time to make candles(with housework in between).I still have my last kid finishing high school.:yay::sad2: .But (theres always a but),Im not putting as much into it as I should.I have a few stores,but when it comes down to suppling them with candles (once a mo.)I get into a funk. Or talking myself into going out and getting new stores. I get down on myself for being ungratefull and try to stay positive.I want this candle business to work.Sometimes just to show everyone I can.Like right now I need to service two stores and get to a supplier and buy warning labels.But( theres that but again) where am I? In front of this #$%@ computer!

Success to me isn't growing into a zillion dollar company. I'd be happy to continue to do this at my own pace, but wouldn't mind being a little more busy at it. The biggest obstacle for me is the marketing. I just dread going out there and "selling" my product. I'd rather shrink wrap 10,000 votives than hit the road, so to speak. I enjoy doing the craft shows, where people come to me. I know I just have to get over it and get out there, but for me that's what's keeping me from moving forward.

I've got lots of obstacles. Lots of character flaws, really, to overcome. Fear of success, fear of failure, low self esteem that I can usually keep in check, but sometimes comes back to overwhelm me :) Sometimes I'm a go getter and can do all the marketing stuff with ease, sometimes I've just got to go hide myself in a corner lol..

Mostly it's the fear of losing security I think. I'll admit, I've had an easy life. My parents had money, so childhood was easy, school was always easy for me, I always just fell into things. Never had to really really really work hard for anything.

But that's been bad, actually - I've never learned to take big risks. It's why I'm whining about the possibility of losing my nice job that gives me a paycheck every 2 weeks. Could I make myself grow, get myself out there, really push it? Most.. but that "jumping off a cliff" feeling makes me really nervous. Just thinking about it makes me want to crawl into a hole somewhere :)

Plus, right now I'm the wage earner in the family - DH is "retired" and his business doesn't bring in all that much. Though we'll get a "raise" in the middle of the year because he's going to start collecting his social security. That will help. My business can pay for itself + some, but volume has to grow about 10-15x before it could even start to support us.

-lack of money, especially now, that we have began house hunting.

-we live with our inlaws, so lack of space, lack of privacy - they seem to get bothered on the days I am pouring or making lotions.

-I stay at home with my 1yr old, who requires ALOT of time and refuses to let me work for even 5 minutes (she is the main reason I cannot start soap)

-Houston, is a big city, with $ stores in every corner, people are cheap. people are so "brand" conscious at the same time. There's a gazillion people sellin, mary kate, avon, HI... I'm little "nobody"

- plus, I get really discouraged. I did terrible at craft shows last year, people were buying other candles, with crappy labels just thrown on there and crappy set ups with simaler pricing as mine.

We've overdrafted trying to make this work, I stayed up researching and testing... crying and overworking myself...

Right now the big thing holding me back is space. I still live with my parents, and while I do have a space to keep all my supplies, It's also kind of a storage room and is a HUGE mess right now. Once I have my own house, I will have a dedicated candle/soaping room. That will definitely help me bump up production a little bit.

I think what is holding me back now is the fact that I need my full-time job so much. Money is a real issue so I need to keep working full time for the time being. I don't have the time that I would like to devote to my business when I work 8 hours a day away from home.

I think what is holding me back now is the fact that I need my full-time job so much. Money is a real issue so I need to keep working full time for the time being. I don't have the time that I would like to devote to my business when I work 8 hours a day away from home.

Ditto. I also need to keep my full-time job, because I carry the benefits for both me and my husband, who is a substitute teacher and weekend musician. Right now I am turning down wholesale and other opportunities, because I just don't have the time to fill so many orders. Plus, all of my phone calls have to be made outside of my regular work hours. This prevents me from offering my customers the best possible service, since I can't return phone calls right away, which bothers me. Also, I still am not generating enough profit to be able to buy supplies in the bulk quantities that will allow me to make a higher profit on my products. And finally, although he is basically supportive of my endeavors, my husband gets irritated when I spend too much time working on my business, like at tax time, or when I am preparing for a craft fair. I have to constantly maintain that delicate balance, so that my marriage doesn't suffer.

What keeps me from succeeding ? is trying to get the correct wicks in container LOL! i want to succeed at making a container candle that i'm proud of, but not giving candle making my full attention is one thing holds me back, its not something i do every day , even some weeks goes by without me testing a candle & etc... then there is lack of lot extra money, dh is the only one bringing a paycheck home, always was. now i buy supplies from tarts and baskets i sell and i can say i'm happy with them. another thing is the location i'm at, not very big and not enough people that will spend on a candle .. if they do they seem to think they have to have top brand like homo or yankee, which last ones i got was no good. i want to succeed at candle making but don't want it to become a thing that takes up all my time, like weekends, life is to short and i have lots of other things i enjoy doing. i know i don't want this to become a full time business. long as i can keep it as a hobbie i enjoy doing , i'll be ok.

What keeps me from succeding...NOTHING!!

Since returning to the states I have had to start from scratch because the wax I used is no longer produced. But that hasn't slowed me down, it has frustrated me quite often though. Sure money is tight, space is limited, and time runs short everyday, but these are all challanges that are simply testing ME to see if I have what it takes to succeed. So far I have taken over most of the laundry room, hey DW only uses it once a week! LOL and now I have taken over most of the downstairs bathroom too, as long as we can get to the toilet and back - no problem. I have figured out what is the best time to pour candles and keep my full time job going, which can vary from 9 to 14 hours with out notice on any given day. And the money, well we are all fed, the bills are paid, and I just keep spending wisely what little is left because I know it will come back to me many times over one day.

I just have to keep pressing twords success, stepping over the little speed bumps, and jumping over the valleys along the way.

By the way, it helps to measure success in little increments not large ones.

I've got lots of obstacles. Lots of character flaws, really, to overcome. Fear of success, fear of failure, low self esteem that I can usually keep in check, but sometimes comes back to overwhelm me :) Sometimes I'm a go getter and can do all the marketing stuff with ease, sometimes I've just got to go hide myself in a corner lol..

Mostly it's the fear of losing security I think. I'll admit, I've had an easy life. My parents had money, so childhood was easy, school was always easy for me, I always just fell into things. Never had to really really really work hard for anything.

But that's been bad, actually - I've never learned to take big risks. It's why I'm whining about the possibility of losing my nice job that gives me a paycheck every 2 weeks. Could I make myself grow, get myself out there, really push it? Most.. but that "jumping off a cliff" feeling makes me really nervous. Just thinking about it makes me want to crawl into a hole somewhere :)

Plus, right now I'm the wage earner in the family - DH is "retired" and his business doesn't bring in all that much. Though we'll get a "raise" in the middle of the year because he's going to start collecting his social security. That will help. My business can pay for itself + some, but volume has to grow about 10-15x before it could even start to support us.

OMG Robin I never would have thought you were insecure with yourself, you do NOT come acrossed that way at all.

Having said that, it could have been ME that wrote that, seriously.

The other day I was proudly showing off one of my soaps I made to my hubby, and all he said was, "yah nice, what are you going to do with it??"

I said, "I'm going to use it!" He said, "No, are you going to srart selling this stuff or what? Are you just going to keep making things and never make any money?"

I started crying, for one thing, I don't take any kind of critisim well at all (not that he was really critisizing me but...) and mostly b/c he's right in questioning me.

My fear stems from personal insecurity, fear of someone saying no, fear of them not liking my stuff, fear of being a failure, etc.

So, I've just been lagging on the whole "selling" front b/c it's sooo much easier to not KNOW than to fail ya know?

I would really love for this to take off into a business, my husband will retire in 2-3 years, and I will HAVE to either get a real job or some kind, and I haven't worked in over 13 years. :eek:

I don't have a lot of motivation, or the confidence to think my stuff is good enough, even when people are telling me it's good, pretty, whatever, I still lack whatever it is that makes me believe it. :(

I'm a very creative/artsy fartsy person, but I'm soooo NOT a salesperson, I'd rather create things, and have someone else sell them for me. LOL

I don't know, I basically just give all my products away, b/c I don't know how to go about selling them, and that fear of being turned down (for say asking someone to have a home party or something) is sooo BIG in my head, that I just keep stalling it. :(

So, it's not really fear of success, but fear of failure, fear fear fear. :(

My husband who was really supportive a year ago, has taken to just "hmm mm" me all the time now.

I just do not for the life of me know how to get over this fear, or how to go about getting my products "out there" so people know I'm doing this, selling my stuff etc. ??????

We only have one craft show here in the small town I live in, and it's always Thanksgiving weekend when we are out of town, and then again there's that fear that keeps me from saying, "well I want to stay home this year and do this show".

I just don't know what to do??

I know I've done tons of testing on my products, have gotten compliments, but don't think my labels or packaging stands out enough, and just always worry that my candles won't burn right for others, etc. I guess I just don't think I'm good enough.

Sara ~ Good question...

There are several factors for my limited success....and the largest one is my kids! I am a SAHM and love it (most days)....I stay at home because I want to and am fortunate enough to have a husband that provides well....I stay at home to make my kids lives more enjoyable and productive....and because I really want to cherish what little bit of time I can have with them before I "lose" them to their own lives.

So in that regard I will not reach my expectations for the business until my youngest has reached kindergarten and I can actually treat this as a "true" job. So in the meantime I do small craft shows (thinking about starting the bigger ones now), sell to family and friends....and now that is moving a little further out as people talk and share them with others.....

I am currently starting testing for a B&B line...and tweaking my container candle line (I keep switching labels...trying to find the "right" look).....I am also in the process of testing pillars....I guess right now I am happy to have enough coming back into the business to at least support most of the testing and development of other products

So I have 5 years to get everything "worked" out so to speak and then watch out world I'm taking over!!!!

Maybe I should not label it as "limited" success...but slow, steady, healthy growth and development.....and as long as I am happy...isn't that TRUE success?????

You know, If all of us on CT were in one big room,we would all be patting each other on the back and telling each other that we CAN sell just go out and do it!!! An the thing is...its true, we can do it.

Ive walk into stores breaking out in a sweat, heart beating fast,stumble over my words, get a "no". and cry all the way home. Then it makes me mad and Im bound and determine to sell to the next person. But when you get that "yes" its the greatest feeling.AND you will get that yes, you JUST have to take it to the next step.Sell..Sell...Sell.

I know this guy that sells his rustic furniture all over Texas.He told me for 100 no`s he get 5 yes`s.

Didnt mean to go on and on...started to delete this a couple of times...but what the heck... maybe it`ll help someone.

The biggest fear of all is fear itself. Sound familiar? I like your attitude Flickering Dream. What's holding me back? Nothing. Nada. Zippo. I'm forging on ahead, climbing those brick walls, jumping over those valleys, facing those fears straight in the eye and telling them to step to the side. Of course, being a very stubborn person always helps, lol. I'm ready for this. I'm working hard to see that it happens. And it will. I've buckled my seat belt and I'm gonna enjoy this bumpy ride. I know what can be over that tall, huge mountain. Life has taught me that. I also know the sweet taste of success and I want a whole lot of that.

If you want your dreams to come true, the 1st thing you have to do is wake up. Ok, I'm awake now :smiley2: