manufacturing batch numbers

gls

I've been trying to keep better records to help identify what batch a particular product was made in.   Under each batch number, I keep as much information, as possible, about the ingredients that are included. For example what lot wax is from.   My problem is including this number on the product somewhere.  I'm not sure how to (easily) do this. 

If product has any issues, how do you identify manufacturing info to start investigating cause?  

Edited by gls
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, gls said:

I've been trying to keep better records to help identify what batch a particular product was made in.   Under each batch number, I keep as much information, as possible, about the ingredients that are included. For example what lot wax is from.   My problem is including this number on the product somewhere.  I'm not sure how to (easily) do this. 

If product has any issues, how do you identify manufacturing info to start investigating cause?  

Good question. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. Currently I just make products as a hobby, I use the date, a batch # and quantity in the batch as a lot number or tracking number. I then have a recipe sheet for each batch of products that I make which contains all the details of supplies used.

I can see your concern on quality control, and your idea is great.  But, it's not going to be easy task.  Even if you print your own label, it will be very time consuming.  If you don't print your own label, then it is going to be too cost prohibited.

1. Create your own serial number for each batch. 

2.  If your business is big enough, than utilize bar code or QR code.  

Another route is to do customized label for each product.  Print customer's name on label while you are creating each label for each product.  It is time consuming too, but at least you can charge more for your product this way.

CNDCV32100__PRODUCT_07--IMG_1200--VERVEINE32-1600717907.jpg

image.thumb.png.33d625b70384329a7a148052cc033641.png

Happy to read that people are applying GMP (good manufacturing principles)! You will be very happy to have developed that practice. ❤️

something as simple as hand writing a number Onto your labels is easy and effective.  Don’t overthink it.

i print my labels in house.  What I did was add a batch number to the label that I update before printing. Batch info is stored in a database I custom developed for my shop.  Paper batch sheets have been helpful too. Take notes and  File them away and you have easy access to your product story. 

KEEP IT SIMPLE 

• Like 1

I need to figure out a better system for this. My jars are ceramic and don't have a label at all (all the pertinent info is on the packaging). The only free space I have is on the bottom of the jar and that is where I put the warning sticker. I've been writing the batch number directly on the jar under the warning sticker but if I need to access it, I have to peel up the warning sticker and that thing is sometimes hard to get off. 

On 3/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, TallTayl said:

Happy to read that people are applying GMP (good manufacturing principles)! You will be very happy to have developed that practice. ❤️

i print my labels in house.  What I did was add a batch number to the label that I update before printing. Batch info is stored in a database I custom developed for my shop.  Paper batch sheets have been helpful too. Take notes and  File them away and you have easy access to your product story. 

Yes, I totally agree, I have to be organized and keep track of stuff. And during product testing I sometimes need to refer back to this information for troubleshooting, etc. I also find it very helpful to know the quantities in my batches. I try to go digital as much as possible because in the beginning I racked up lots of paper files, which now I need to scan and save as pdf. I also use the online Soap Inventory database program which I love https://www.soapinventory.com/. It's free but I give donations when I can, I want the guy to keep it going.

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:14 PM, gls said:

Another option is to use a small sticker that includes additional product info either as a bar code or as plain text. This way you wouldn't have to change your regular product label, if you are using one. For instance, Amazon requires separate bar code stickers on products for tracking purposes.

2020-03-08 15.11.28.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2020 at 10:14 PM, gls said:

I came up with a format that works for me. My lot numbers look like this:

LOT: CX120A, where "C" stands for container, and "X1" stands for the month it was produced. X = 0, so X1 is the month of January. "20" stands for the year, and the "A" suffix tells me this was the first batch poured on that day. This information refers me to my worksheet where I can review all the details of that batch. If a customer submits a complaint, I can look at my data and see whats going on. This also allows me to do long term, ongoing research on wax and wick combinations. 

Example 2--- LOT: P1019B, where "P" stands for pillar candle. 10 is the month of October [Notice the "X" is gone] and 19 represents the year, 2019. Here the "B" suffix stands for the second batch produced on the day in question. 

Example 3--- LOT: SX220C, where the prefix "S" stands for "Specialty", which is a catch-all term for any other type of candle. The format tells me that this candle was poured in February of 2020 and the "C" represents the third batch of all the different candles made on that date.

I add the lot number to my worksheet, the candle label, and I enter it into a production spreadsheet log that I created. This format is simple, uniform and consistent. It's not overly redundant, and it provides all the information I need to go back and review what I did. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I am not sure if I am asking this question right, so I apologize if it doesn't make sense.  When you order wax from a manufacturer how do you know what batch/lot/etc it is coming from?  So far I have only ordered small amounts of wax (I just placed my first "large" order of 45lb) but I don't see this information anywhere on it. I imagine it's different with every supplier but do they only include this with larger orders or do you have to ask specifically for it? The more I look into the safety, business and quality control aspects I realize that I should have this information in case issues come up, as they inevitably will.

Also...thanks so much for the ideas to create your own batch numbers.  Again, something that I didn't think of initially.  So glad I found this forum and wealth of information it contains.

3 hours ago, jmspgh said:

I am not sure if I am asking this question right, so I apologize if it doesn't make sense.  When you order wax from a manufacturer how do you know what batch/lot/etc it is coming from?  So far I have only ordered small amounts of wax (I just placed my first "large" order of 45lb) but I don't see this information anywhere on it. I imagine it's different with every supplier but do they only include this with larger orders or do you have to ask specifically for it? The more I look into the safety, business and quality control aspects I realize that I should have this information in case issues come up, as they inevitably will.

Also...thanks so much for the ideas to create your own batch numbers.  Again, something that I didn't think of initially.  So glad I found this forum and wealth of information it contains.

There’s usually a code mixed between numbers and letters stamped or spray dotted somewhere on the box.  Sometimes it is on a sticker.

bagged small quantities are not usually identified anywhere 😢

1 hour ago, jmspgh said:

@TallTayl Thank you!  I went back and looked again...I found the lot number on a sticker on the outside of the shipping box.  I'm glad I hadn't put it in the recycling yet.  Can I expect every batch I order to have different lot numbers?

Usually, yes, especially if the seller has high turnover.

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2020 at 6:50 PM, TallTayl said:

Usually, yes, especially if the seller has high turnover.

Adding onto this question, I buy from Flaming Candle (45lb boxes) and I don’t see a “lot number” either, just the date and time stamp. I order two boxes at a time and usually the date and time is almost identical, except off by 10-60 seconds… is it safe* to assume these two boxes (one time stamped at 11:20:15 and one stamped at 11:20:23, for example) are from the same batch? What are the chances that they’re different? 

if anyone has any advice on finding a batch or lot number for Flaming Candle boxes of Golden Brands GW 444 wax, please advise! 

thank you!

Edited by ambar
Correction

7 hours ago, ambar said:

Adding onto this question, I buy from Flaming Candle (45lb boxes) and I don’t see a “lot number” either, just the date and time stamp. I order two boxes at a time and usually the date and time is almost identical, except off by 10-60 seconds… is it safe* to assume these two boxes (one time stamped at 11:20:15 and one stamped at 11:20:23, for example) are from the same batch? What are the chances that they’re different? 

if anyone has any advice on finding a batch or lot number for Flaming Candle boxes of Golden Brands GW 444 wax, please advise! 

thank you!

I would be pretty satisfied those two cases were from the same manufacturing run. Typically wax batches are tens of thousands of lbs in one go.

For good measure, and peace of mind you could make one small baseline test candle from each case to be more certain,  I probably would not in my own shop.

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I would be pretty satisfied those two cases were from the same manufacturing run. Typically wax batches are tens of thousands of lbs in one go.

For good measure, and peace of mind you could make one small baseline test candle from each case to be more certain,  I probably would not in my own shop.

Thank you @TallTayl! I trust your judgment. My gut told me I’ll be fine with 7 seconds apart but a small part of me was hesitant since I’m still fairly new to all of this so I wasn’t sure if 7 seconds was long enough to transition into a new lot of wax.

• Like 1