Has the coconut slab wax from C&S changed?

olives

I have been using the coconut slab wax from Candles & Supplies for the past year or so, and recently ordered a pallet. I noticed that each of the boxes on the pallet had tape covering something up on each box, which turned out to be the name CalWax (obviously the supplier of the wax). 

My previous orders from C&S of this wax have always arrived in plain boxes, so my first thought was that maybe for smaller orders, they re-package the wax into unmarked boxes. But once I started using the wax, it seemed to perform differently (sinkholes developing as the candles solidify, mainly) and now I’m wondering if this is a new coconut blend entirely. 

Has anyone ordered the coconut slab wax from C&S recently and noticed anything different?

😩

• Like 1

Maybe give Cal wax and C&S a call? Natural waxes always vary a little, but that seems like a huge change to now have sinkholes. 

could it be temps in your working area? When my shop is on the chilly side I get random sinkholes in super easy waxes, even apricot. 

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Maybe give Cal wax and C&S a call? Natural waxes always vary a little, but that seems like a huge change to now have sinkholes. 

could it be temps in your working area? When my shop is on the chilly side I get random sinkholes in super easy waxes, even apricot. 

Hi TallTayl, I just reached out to C&S and will report back. Something is definitely up...whether or not they admit to any changes, we shall see :)

Our studio space is actually a commercial space outside our home, so the temps are very consistent...thankfully, that's one variable I can consistently rule out when things go haywire!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

The producer of the wax is accublend in California. 

http://www.accu-blend.com/

If you have a concern call them or email them.

I just  learned from them the wax is vegan and tallow, and beeswax free

So Accu-Blend is the producer of the coconut slab wax from C&S? If so, all of the boxes I received say CalWax, which would mean they're now sourcing from them instead of Accu-Blend...which would definitely be a different manufacturer!

• Like 1

I believe only accublend makes the wax. They would supply cal wax and candles and supplies. This is a trade name, so you can’t just label coco83. Calwax gets from accublend that’s their distributo. Accublend says if you buy direct you have to purchase large quantities.

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

I believe only accublend makes the wax. They would supply cal wax and candles and supplies. This is a trade name, so you can’t just label coco83. Calwax gets from accublend that’s their distributo. Accublend says if you buy direct you have to purchase large quantities.

C&S Easybeads is the same as Coco83 in beads form, Accu Blend makes this wax (it isn't vegan)
C&S Coconut Slab Wax is made by CalWax (if I remember right this has paraffin + soy in it and is vegan)

Calwax and AccuBlend are competing with their own different blends of coconut waxes, they aren't helping each other with distribution. Calwax uses the brand name Ceda-Serica to promote their hybrid waxes.

Accu-Blend Coco83 have changed formula several times, many reports about it on this forum.

More info about the two blends here: 

Edited by strugglebrother
  • Thanks 2

It looks like "Candles & Supplies" sells Ecowax CCN 1 (coconut candle blend) manufactured by CalWax(on west coast) which is Remet Corp., who also owns "SouthWest Wax"(on east coast) & "Blended Waxes"(in middle - no candle wax here).

"California Candle Supply" sells Coconut 83 manufactured by Accu-Blend.

As name suggests, Accu-Blend is a blender, and it could be possible that they are a blender of CalWax on certain vegetable waxes.  But, CalWax would be a much bigger company, who owns their own formulary for coconut wax.  It is also possible that Accu-Blend might have improved it by creating their own.  Accu-Blend is west coast distributor of AAK.  I am suspecting they might be the one who actually manufacturing AAK waxes on west coast.

As for the boxes being different, a lot of suppliers use their own blank boxes as much as possible to hide manufacturers unless it is well known brands like GB, IGI, or Cargill.

I don't think you have ended up with different wax, but you will definitely need to talk to your supplier about sink holes which you never had problem before.

• Thanks 1

On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Kerven said:

Off the top of my head (might be wrong), Calwax has:

EC26 - soy/coconut

CCP1 - coconut/paraffin

Ceda Serica - coconut/apricot (with some paraffin)

Hi Kerven, you're right! Here they are, below. I'm not sure which one of these is the coconut slabs at C&S...I suspect it's the EC26. 

Ceda Serica®

Our coconut-apricot blend is a luxurious wax with great adhesion. CEDA SERICA looks absolutely stunning in glass with its glossy like appearance.

Calsoy® CB2 Soy Blend

A complex soy wax blend designed to give a creamy off-white appearance, provide excellent fragrance throw, exhibit an “even-ness” of burn and wax consumption, and give good container adhesion for candles.

EC26™ Soy / Coconut Blend

A complex soy/coconut wax blend designed to give a creamy off-white appearance, provide excellent fragrance throw, exhibit an “even-ness” of burn and wax consumption, and give good container adhesion for candles.

Ecowax™ CCN 1 Coconut Blend

This all Natural Coconut Candle Blend is a true, one pour, clean burning all natural coconut container blend that produces smooth and creamy candles with full adhesion in a container. Also this blend produces a candle with minimal shrinkage and a soft consistency.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have been told is AccuBlend may be out of business. Cal wax and southwest wax is owned by Remet Corp but Blended Waxes, Inc. is definitely not owned by Remet. I’m guessing as neither AccuBlend or Calwax refine any waxes natural or petroleum it is a probably just a sourcing change or packaging change. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Kerven said:

Off the top of my head (might be wrong), Calwax has:

EC26 - soy/coconut

CCP1 - coconut/paraffin

Ceda Serica - coconut/apricot (with some paraffin)

Is the Ceda Serica wax Vegan? 

I'm not certain. I don't get any greasy, tallowy, lard-y notes, unlike with coco83, that would make me question whether or not it contains any animal fats or beeswax. AFAIK, Calwax doesn't describe or advertise it as being vegan, so it might be best to ask them.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:09 AM, olives said:

I have been using the coconut slab wax from Candles & Supplies for the past year or so, and recently ordered a pallet. I noticed that each of the boxes on the pallet had tape covering something up on each box, which turned out to be the name CalWax (obviously the supplier of the wax). 

My previous orders from C&S of this wax have always arrived in plain boxes, so my first thought was that maybe for smaller orders, they re-package the wax into unmarked boxes. But once I started using the wax, it seemed to perform differently (sinkholes developing as the candles solidify, mainly) and now I’m wondering if this is a new coconut blend entirely. 

Has anyone ordered the coconut slab wax from C&S recently and noticed anything different?

😩

Same thing happened to the feb batch of easybeads. The product was nothing like any other in the history of easybeads.  Sinkholes just like you describe, etc. 

cal candle response to several inquiries was to deny anything was different. If I had a lab.... man would I be dangerous... 

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI- Candles and Supplies will no longer be selling their COCONUT CONTAINER SLAB which was coconut/soy/rice bran/ beeswax. This wax was mfg by Calwax and was their EC26 with rice bran and beeswax added. Calwax has said they can no longer make this wax which is a huge bummer. Candles and Supplies will be selling the EC26 ( coconut/soy/small amount of paraffin) in it's place