To start this topic off I'll post links to these two articles that I found on the National Candle Association's website. They certainly don't like nor agree with some research that South Carolina State University has been doing on candles and posting on their website. Looks like the NCA makes some valid points.

https://candles.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/The-National-Candle-Association-Response-to-Massoudi-1.pdf

https://candles.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NCA.SCSU-Press-Release-4.11.2017.pdf

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As someone with a technical background I can appreciate the debate that seems to rage at the highest levels of the industry, but I haven't seen the impact of these publications at the supplier, manufacturer, or distribution layer outside of the increased popularity of "natural" waxes.  Yankee and Village haven't slowed down as far as I can tell.  If they have, it's merely to adopt that which is popular and sell what's hot right now.

I suppose a few loud voices can occasionally drown out a sea of overwhelming empirical evidence.  I appreciate the NCA making a statement (albeit 3 years ago) given they have the ears of many of us makers.  The few studies I've read through on the matter essentially require you to breath incomplete combustion on an obnoxious scale for a very long period of time to be harmful (think thousands of candles at once in a small, windy room for a week straight lol).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, I like all waxes, and some I like better than others depending on what product I'm making. They all have their pros and cons and I would imagine if any were as harmful as lead wicks were then we would not only hear about it but it would be banned as well.

• Thanks 2

In particular, paraffin wax gets a bad rap. Product bashing makes me uncomfortable and I certainly don't like it if it involves false information or false reasons. In my experience and given the right conditions, any candle can produce smoke/soot and not just paraffin candles. 😂

What drives me nuts is all the false information out there that keeps getting circulated and purposefully regurgitated by people, for marketing or etc., that are suppose to be professionals/experts in this field. To me it makes them look, let's just say, ignorant and untrustworthy. But that's my opinion and I"m sticking to it. LOL. 😄

The candle industry is long over due for some new and exciting information and break throughs. 🕯️ :partywhooo:

• Like 3

Yankee Candle Opens New State of the Art Research & Development Facility in Western Massachusetts

December 6, 2019

https://apnews.com/1ce4f78f36b54a12b14511d390d905ce

The new R&D lab will increase capability and capacity to develop, prototype, and test new innovations across the entire range of Yankee Candle, WoodWick and Chesapeake Bay Candle branded products.

Edited by Laura C
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:22 PM, Laura C said:

In particular, paraffin wax gets a bad rap. Product bashing makes me uncomfortable and I certainly don't like it if it involves false information or false reasons. In my experience and given the right conditions, any candle can produce smoke/soot and not just paraffin candles. 😂

What drives me nuts is all the false information out there that keeps getting circulated and purposefully regurgitated by people, for marketing or etc., that are suppose to be professionals/experts in this field. To me it makes them look, let's just say, ignorant and untrustworthy. But that's my opinion and I"m sticking to it. LOL. 😄

The candle industry is long over due for some new and exciting information and break throughs. 🕯️ :partywhooo:

I couldn't agree with you more !
This is my #1 pet peeve at some of my shows. A few years back, it got so bad with internet misinformation ,I had a few people dash out of my booth because I carry para-soy & paraffin products.
There were also some newbie competitors that were literally carnival barking the gospel of paraffin doom & gloom to passersby , that was unreal 🙄
Since then I've made hand outs to educate existing and potential customers 😉
Makes me think of the saying..."Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter". 

• Like 4