Coconut-apricot

Ravens

@ErronB How did you do with the adjustments heating and pouring temps? CD wicks are good but you need to stick to the smaller sizes like CD-2 and 3. If you like the CD’s I would highly recommend the CDN series also in the smaller sizes. These I have been told burn a little cooler than the CD wicks. I have not had them for long so my testing has not been extensive but the ones I have tried have been excellent and am excited to continue playing with these. I haven’t been able to make many testing candles on the count I had major surgery early Sept. so its been a LOOONNG healing process. So haven’t been able to make a lot of testers.

6 hours ago, Marisa11 said:

@ErronB How did you do with the adjustments heating and pouring temps? CD wicks are good but you need to stick to the smaller sizes like CD-2 and 3. If you like the CD’s I would highly recommend the CDN series also in the smaller sizes. These I have been told burn a little cooler than the CD wicks. I have not had them for long so my testing has not been extensive but the ones I have tried have been excellent and am excited to continue playing with these. I haven’t been able to make many testing candles on the count I had major surgery early Sept. so its been a LOOONNG healing process. So haven’t been able to make a lot of testers.

It wasn't my cup of tea, I won't be using the coco apricot again I think it's a waste of money. The hot throw left a lot to be desired for me when compared to parasoy waxes which perform a lot better.. I will be testing the wicks that northwood just got in which are supposedly gods gift to coconut waxes but I'm skeptical, they should be here soon.

9 hours ago, jmspgh said:

@Marisa11where did you get your cdn wicks from? 

Sixteenseventeen.com I got the wicks from. I love the wax.  I’ve also had luck with zinc and paper core wicks. I haven’t jumped on that HSPS bandwagon just yet. I have too many wick types on hand I have still haven’t tested. This weekend my goal is to pour 3 half full testers using Zinc, paper core, and CDN to compare since I had success with those recently. If you like the parasoys I actually liked Joywax. 6006 I didn’t care for until I mixed coco apricot in it. 

We had great hot throw with 6-8% fragrance load in this wax when we tested a few fragrances.

The problem we had was that the wicks at the end of the candle self-trimmed so much that they die at the last 20% of the candle. Has anyone else had this problem?

To prevent this we tried CDN wicks but they didn't give as much throw as we wanted.

1 hour ago, strugglebrother said:

We had great hot throw with 6-8% fragrance load in this wax when we tested a few fragrances.

The problem we had was that the wicks at the end of the candle self-trimmed so much that they die at the last 20% of the candle. Has anyone else had this problem?

To prevent this we tried CDN wicks but they didn't give as much throw as we wanted.

Which wicks did that for you? I’ve been doing a lot of wickless testing. I didn’t notice that happening with HTP, PREMIER 700, or LX I tested recently that were wicked but I didn’t have a great HT I need to just stop with the citrus scents already.  Thanks for the info that is good to know that can happen Towards the end. I am planning on making some wicked testers with CDN, Paper Core, and zinc since those came out with a good HT in a wickless test so now I want to see side by side. 

Just now, Marisa11 said:

Which wicks did that for you? I’ve been doing a lot of wickless testing. I didn’t notice that happening with HTP, PREMIER 700, or LX I tested recently that were wicked but I didn’t have a great HT I need to just stop with the citrus scents already.  Thanks for the info that is good to know that can happen Towards the end. I am planning on making some wicked testers with CDN, Paper Core, and zinc since those came out with a good HT in a wickless test so now I want to see side by side. 

I had the best throw with CD and ECO wicks but they both suicided themselves at the end of the candle. I spoke directly to Calwax about it and they had the best results with CD wicks all around so I started there and thought I move over to HTP and ECO as they are kind of similar, at least HTP. HTP didn't give me sufficient throw, could be container and FO combo also.

I need to test more, I like the wax somehow but got stuck and then other things came in between. Feel free to DM me if you find anything and I can test the same here too!

On 10/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, Marisa11 said:

Is the jar straight sided?

FO Percentage?

What other wicks have you tried and why didn’t they work?

How long have you let cure?

Try an HTP-72 and possibly an HTP-83 test half filled jars to see how they perform for you at the half way mark before you do a full jar test. That should be a good starting point for that diameter. 

The jar is straight sided. I tried an ECO-16 with a 10% fragrance load. Thinking ECO-16 is too big because there's residue building up on the side at 3 hours even though it's reached the edge of the glass. Flame is quite large and it's shrooming slightly. I let it cure for 4 days! Just ordered the HTP wicks and will definitely try out the HTP-72 or HTP-83 - thank you!!!

1 hour ago, TORI said:

The outside diameter is actually 3.125 and the inside is just shy of 3 inches!

Super. The reason I ask is because I have seen pics of people measuring the outside diameter. 

cd or Htp should work well in that jar with that wax. Resist the temptation to overwick. 

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

cd or Htp should work well in that jar with that wax. Resist the temptation to overwick. 

ECO-16? Did you check the outside temp of the jar? I would think that would have gotten really hot. This wax definitely likes smaller wicks.  If you go with the CD try CD-3 with that diameter.  Like @TallTayl Said try not to overwick.  I have a similar sized jar and a candle ready to test. I’ll see what results I get since its a different FO

@TORI oh and cure for 2 weeks. I think a lot of people get away from this wax because of the cure time. I have 6 pets and boyfriend that all like a lot of attention so luckily patience is one of my strong suits. 😂 I say patience but it might be the lack of time needed to record my burn results so 2 weeks easily goes by for me. 

With regard to full melt pool, that is a limit and not a goal. I’m not sure who started this phenomenon that you have to have a full melt pool early in the candle. It is directly related to all the candle fires that we been seeing lately. Shattered glass, black glass, injury.  

When a candle is over wicked it is not the customer’s fault when the candle misperforms. No matter how often or short they trim the wick it will always be problematic at the bottom especially.

@TallTayl @Marisa11 Thank you both! Appreciate your thoughts and have noted everything you mentioned. Will make sure to cure for at least 2 weeks and wick down. Just got some CD wicks as well so will test out CD 3, HTP 72, and HTP 83. Marisa, will definitely tune back in here for results on your candle 😀

Edited by TORI

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:03 AM, TallTayl said:

With regard to full melt pool, that is a limit and not a goal. I’m not sure who started this phenomenon that you have to have a full melt pool early in the candle.

If you watch any of the candle reviewers on you tube, basically its them telling everyone that a FMP needs to happen ASAP. They give bad reviews if it doesnt "pool out" immediatly. There are many, many candle reviews with hundreds of thousands of watchers, who then go and tell their facebook groups and friends and so on...its REALLY unsafe to have a FMP so early on, but thats what these reviewers are telling the masses. I will continue to make a safe candle vs a quick burning one tyvm

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1