Jump to content

Coconut-apricot


Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried Candlewic's coconut & apricot wax?  If so, what was your impression of the wax? 

I bought a few pounds, just for testing purposes, but have yet to play with it.

TIA ūüėȬ†

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with it for the last 6 months or so.  I really, really liked it at first, CT and HT both really good. But now I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the HT being very weak with a few fragrances I LOVE. Wicking doesn't seem so tricky, but of course does really change with the scent. I started out with HTP's and am now trying CD's. I would love to hear anyone else's experience with this wax. HT, CT? Additives? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know if Candlewic is having it made for them or if it's another company's wax?  I used a couple different ones and had issues with tunneling.  Swan's candle was one.  Then found out it had paraffin in it so stopped testing.  Burning paraffin gives me horrible headaches so I can't test anything with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Do you know if Candlewic is having it made for them or if it's another company's wax?  I used a couple different ones and had issues with tunneling.  Swan's candle was one.  Then found out it had paraffin in it so stopped testing.  Burning paraffin gives me horrible headaches so I can't test anything with it.

I use candlewic coconut apricot wax. It has a small amount of paraffin in it. I talked to Calwax and they said that there's is the same exact stuff. They sell it to Candlewic and  Candlewic just puts their own label on it and claims it's their custom wax. It is called Ceda serica wax. What is outrageously expensive but CW is the cheapest for me with shipping. But they're out of stock every couple weeks constantly and it's too expensive. For 40 pounds  to my door is $155 I cannot afford that I am looking for something different. That and the fact that they're all out of it  constantly is not fun to me. I was trying it to be different and everybody wants to use it so it's not really being different if you get it anymore. I am not established yet so I cannot afford to buy it but you might do well with it and be able to charge a lot. Where I live and from researching online people don't care they want soy and that's all they seem to want and I hate soy lol but I am going to learn to love it because soy sells itself. I did buy three of those Chandler and me candlemakere lol I do lots of small batches so it is perfect for me. I also have Presto pops if I need bigger batch is but I'm not establish maybe one day I'll need a bigb candle melter. 

Swan's is also the same kind. If you contact Calwax the man is very friendly and he will explain everything to you. Candle and supplies is the same wax as well he said but I believe he said it's not advertised as having paraffin but it does have it he said.

 

Edited by ShelleyF
Added more information
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

 

ok so the other I used was Calwax so they were both the same.  They both gave me headaches, but I do remember those tunneling issues with that wax.  I really didn't use it long enough to work through the problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

ok so the other I used was Calwax so they were both the same.  They both gave me headaches, but I do remember those tunneling issues with that wax.  I really didn't use it long enough to work through the problems.

I don't make candles I just make melts. But people are asking for soy. So now I'm trying to figure out what soy wax to get lol they also want it's soft. I used to make the 464 in the cups. Then you just use a silicone cupcake liner and it's not a mess but you can't ship it like that in the heat. I also hate waiting that long for things to cure but I don't know what to do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I don't make candles I just make melts. But people are asking for soy. So now I'm trying to figure out what soy wax to get lol they also want it's soft. I used to make the 464 in the cups. Then you just use a silicone cupcake liner and it's not a mess but you can't ship it like that in the heat. I also hate waiting that long for things to cure but I don't know what to do.

 

Did you use 464 for wax melts?  Often, I ask myself why I am not making more melts instead of candles...darn wicks...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I don't make candles I just make melts. But people are asking for soy. So now I'm trying to figure out what soy wax to get lol they also want it's soft. I used to make the 464 in the cups. Then you just use a silicone cupcake liner and it's not a mess but you can't ship it like that in the heat. I also hate waiting that long for things to cure but I don't know what to do.

I don't know which Calwax would work, I primarily used C3 for both candles & melts, they pop right out of molds and clamshells.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ruralers said:

 

Did you use 464 for wax melts?  Often, I ask myself why I am not making more melts instead of candles...darn wicks...

I just bought some again. It is soft but if you sell them in a souffle cup and a cupcake silicone liner it doesn't matter. I refuse to make candles. Dealing with wicks is not my thing. I am not patient enough.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I don't know which Calwax would work, I primarily used C3 for both candles & melts, they pop right out of molds and clamshells.

I was looking at that one yesterday bit decided on the 464. I stopped making molds because people were being ridiculous about it. I said it was SOLD by weight not pieces. Nope said they wanted 8 melts. The 3 big ones weighed as much as the 8. Nope they weren't having it! Went through that multiple times. Then people want the clams cheaper than Wal-Mart. I got tired of that so finally told a lady to go to walmart! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Cindel said:

Glad I did a search. 

 

Is this the same wax as Wooden Wick?

yes it is.. the coco apricot wax is available at 3 places and it is all the same CEDA SERICA  wax made by Calwax... Wooden Wick, Swans and Candlewic are the suppliers

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 11:11 AM, PINKT said:

yes it is.. the coco apricot wax is available at 3 places and it is all the same CEDA SERICA  wax made by Calwax... Wooden Wick, Swans and Candlewic are the suppliers

 

Thank you so much! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone still using this wax?  I have my first pre-wicked candle to burn this weekend after curing for 2 weeks.  I have been having luck with HTP wicks so I double wicked this one with HTP-62 The HTP-73's I had tested on other FO's were a little too much for my jar and the 52's I thought may be a little too small and I was getting rushed into making this candle for my very impatient partner.  So I made his with the HTP-62 hoping that would be a winner. I am going to play with the 52's again though I did end up liking how they burned after I had already made his candle. 

 

I have the following testing wick types CD, Hemp, HTP, ECO, LX, RRD, PK, Zinc, Premier 700, and wooden wicks(not much of a fan of the wood wicks maybe ill make some just for the crackle)  ECO-1s burned way too hot for the ones I tested in and I got that burnt wax smell. I am still waiting on some candles to cure using an FO load of 6%,8%, and 10%. Someone in a group said they had the best luck using 12% which is the max load. I use NG oils so im pretty sure ill be Ok on the lower %

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: The candle I made with the HTP-62 x2 in coco apricot wax was absolutely perfect! I couldn't believe it. Great flame no mushrooming. However  even at 8% the HT is a little too overpowering but I have a sensitive nose. My partner loved it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 12:25 PM, Marisa11 said:

Update: The candle I made with the HTP-62 x2 in coco apricot wax was absolutely perfect! I couldn't believe it. Great flame no mushrooming. However  even at 8% the HT is a little too overpowering but I have a sensitive nose. My partner loved it.

What was the diameter of the jar you used?Just curious.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ErronB I had some issue with HT as I was heating the wax at too high of a temp. Per Calwax and after additional testing. I heat to 190-185 and add FO Between 180-175 stir for like 15/30 seconds and pour right away. Warm your jars first to help with wet spots if those bother you. I have had good luck with 8% FO

 

What Fo % and what supplier and what wicks have you tried? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marisa11 said:

@ErronB I had some issue with HT as I was heating the wax at too high of a temp. Per Calwax and after additional testing. I heat to 190-185 and add FO Between 180-175 stir for like 15/30 seconds and pour right away. Warm your jars first to help with wet spots if those bother you. I have had good luck with 8% FO

 

What Fo % and what supplier and what wicks have you tried? 

 

All the coconut waxes I've tested tend to like the higher temps for heating up but this Ceda Serica / Coco Apricot is definitely weird.

 

I do my heating and FO adding about 10 degrees hotter than you do, I'll give your temps a shot and see how it goes.

 

I use a whole plethora of fragrances, I usually do 8-10% load depending on the scent. As far as wicks go, I haven't done extensive testing on it but HTP and CD seemed to burn pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 10/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, TORI said:

Does anyone know what HTP wick should I use for an 8.5 oz jar with a 3.125 diameter?

Is the jar straight sided?

FO Percentage?

What other wicks have you tried and why didn’t they work?

How long have you let cure?

Try an HTP-72 and possibly an HTP-83 test half filled jars to see how they perform for you at the half way mark before you do a full jar test. That should be a good starting point for that diameter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...