Palm wax 101 - wicking and more

Well I got my first batch of container palm from Candlewic and made up some tins.  Here's a pic of my first wicks that I threw in.  I know palm stays central for a while, but what is the best way to know if wicks are behaving correctly all the way through?  Same as every other candle (no residual on the side, reasonable flame size, etc.)?  I love the look and how easy it is to work with...but the wicking looks...interesting.  

20190301_213914932_iOS.jpg

I have a devil of a time with palm in tins. Tins just conduct that heat away too quickly to catch up to the short height vs width. To get the wax to all burn in a tin you’ll need a pretty massive wick. I’ve even tried wide wooden wicks which left significant hang up. Palm definitely prefers glass which insulates the heat and dimensions that are tall and narrower.

Could try double wicking, or just use glass for palm where it truly loves to be. 

Just now, Candybee said:

I have to echo what others have said. Palm just isn't suited for tins on many levels. If you plan to eventually sell these candles you should start out by testing in glass containers. I find straight sided containers work the best.

Yup, I already have two 9 oz straight sided jars running with CD14 and 16 respectively.  So far I like the entire system, even though the delay in melting the sides into a full melt pool is "weird to me".  I think I may land either with a CD16 or 18 as an unscented baseline depending on how the 16 finishes off the jar (it had burned half way down).  After that, we'll see how scent throw goes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paintguru said:

Yup, I already have two 9 oz straight sided jars running with CD14 and 16 respectively.  So far I like the entire system, even though the delay in melting the sides into a full melt pool is "weird to me".  I think I may land either with a CD16 or 18 as an unscented baseline depending on how the 16 finishes off the jar (it had burned half way down).  After that, we'll see how scent throw goes.

The 9oz SS jars work really great with palm. I have used them many times myself. I am now using the 12oz jar and still working on the wick. 

CD's should give you a nice HT but I didn't like the curl on the wick when it burned which made one side of the jar way to hot for me personal taste. I would go ahead continue testing with your current wicks to the very end of the candle. YOu are wicking for the last half of the candle especially for that size jar. You should notice it burns very differently in the final half than in the first half. Don't wick for the first half, wick for the second half.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Candybee said:

The 9oz SS jars work really great with palm. I have used them many times myself. I am now using the 12oz jar and still working on the wick. 

CD's should give you a nice HT but I didn't like the curl on the wick when it burned which made one side of the jar way to hot for me personal taste. I would go ahead continue testing with your current wicks to the very end of the candle. YOu are wicking for the last half of the candle especially for that size jar. You should notice it burns very differently in the final half than in the first half. Don't wick for the first half, wick for the second half.

The curl has been okay thus far for me (only one test though), and I like how well they're staying nice and trimmed.  I did order some CSN wicks as well to try.  My other target jar is a 16 oz country comfort jar, which I assume will require a double or even triple wick.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think I've landed on CD 20 as my baseline for the 9 oz straight sided jar.  Now I need to run it through my fragrances to see if that shifts things.  

I do like the wax thus far; at least how it burns and looks.  

• 8 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 11:33 AM, Paintguru said:

Well I think I've landed on CD 20 as my baseline for the 9 oz straight sided jar.  Now I need to run it through my fragrances to see if that shifts things.  

I do like the wax thus far; at least how it burns and looks.  

Did you stay with the CD 20? I have the same jar and some glass glow, and am reading and trying to figure out which wick to start with. I have premiers, CD's and Ecos (and a few others)

22 hours ago, calan said:

Did you stay with the CD 20? I have the same jar and some glass glow, and am reading and trying to figure out which wick to start with. I have premiers, CD's and Ecos (and a few others)

Premiers are ok but you have to wick way up. Same with CDs. I have not heard of anyone having success with Ecos. For me, CSNs consistently perform the best in palm wax.

This is probably more opinion than you were looking for, but it would really be in your best interest to become proficient with the 4630 and/or a soy wax before experimenting with palm wax. It performs very very differently than other waxes, and will only increase the time it takes for you to feel like you are successful at making candles. Trying too many different waxes in a short time span is one of the biggest mistakes I see new candle makers doing. 

I don't want to deter you from using palm wax, I personally love it, but I would encourage you to focus on making awesome candles from a wax that you have already tested before you move on....

Totally just my opinion though. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

This is probably more opinion than you were looking for...

Never!  :D

Yeah, I'm not in a hurry on the palm wax. I'll just play with it a little while pouring a few parafin candles that I know will work. I've been reading everything I can find, and am making progress on the other waxes (settled on some 4636) once I admitted it was the FO and found a few issues with my temperature measurement. I'm just tweaking my process to minimize any wet spots and cave-ins around the wick.

I have a spreadsheet and custom program I wrote to collect and analyze data from all the burn tests with different waxes and wicks over the last 3 months or so, and it's helping a lot. I'm an engineer, so things have to be methodical, make sense, and have a reason for happening...or at least appear to.  LOL

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 6:49 PM, Sarah S said:

Premiers are ok but you have to wick way up. Same with CDs. I have not heard of anyone having success with Ecos. For me, CSNs consistently perform the best in palm wax.

This is probably more opinion than you were looking for, but it would really be in your best interest to become proficient with the 4630 and/or a soy wax before experimenting with palm wax. It performs very very differently than other waxes, and will only increase the time it takes for you to feel like you are successful at making candles. Trying too many different waxes in a short time span is one of the biggest mistakes I see new candle makers doing. 

I don't want to deter you from using palm wax, I personally love it, but I would encourage you to focus on making awesome candles from a wax that you have already tested before you move on....

Totally just my opinion though. 😊

@Sarah or @Candybee

What would you suggest as a starting size for a Premier with the glass glow in a 9 oz sraight jar?  I think Premiers would be the best I have to start with (I also have CD's, LX's, Eco's, and wooden wicks... but seems that Premier may be better based on the posts I've read).

Thinking about pouring a non-scented GG candle just to start playing.

And, I guess I'm not going to be going my usual route of pouring a jar full of wax and then poking a hole down the center after it's cooled to stick a wick in?  :D

Edited by calan

16 hours ago, calan said:

@Sarah or @Candybee

What would you suggest as a starting size for a Premier with the glass glow in a 9 oz sraight jar?  I think Premiers would be the best I have to start with (I also have CD's, LX's, Eco's, and wooden wicks... but seems that Premier may be better based on the posts I've read).

Thinking about pouring a non-scented GG candle just to start playing.

And, I guess I'm not going to be going my usual route of pouring a jar full of wax and then poking a hole down the center after it's cooled to stick a wick in?  :D

CD's could work too. 

For a 9oz jar I'd try a 770 in the Premiers. Palm really wants a hot wick.

The best luck I've had with Premiers and palm wax have been with very small containers or multi-wicking a large container. Basically conditions where a CSN is just too hot. I don't know that you'd have great results with a 9oz jar and Premiers, even with a larger size wick. But I suppose it's worth a try!

I have been able to make a wick hole by using a long skinny screwdriver after the wax has cooled. But usually I make the hole crooked. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1