Over/under wicked?

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

...everyone smells differently

AMEN! Boy ain't THAT the truth! 

Personally I smell of sweat and garlic (yanno, it's just SO HOT and HUMID down here in Florida and the garlic keeps the vampires off of me at night.) 

I bet you smell nice Moonshine, I imagine like fresh pine shavings and Laser Sheen... 

TT smells like her Amber and Pink sugah (we know this because she's said so... I remember stuff!) 

Poor Trapp probably still smells like skunk...  :(  

Y'all talk about INTERESTING stuff over here in chandlerville! I oughta get over here more often! 

• Haha 4

@moonshine I'm using 464 in pint jars.  I've never been able to get the hot throw I use to get before 2017 with most of my oils.  As a matter of fact, I haven't even been able to get much of any throw with my two Rustic Escentuals apple fragrances that use to throw super strong.  Also tried a few other apple oils suggested on here but getting little throw.  I don't think it is candle nose unless my husband has it too.  :confused: There are other fragrances I get an ok throw from just not the apple.  I guess I will start retesting as soon as I get a nothing-added jar tested.  I figure it is the wick as I can get a throw from aroma bead ornaments using the oils.  Or am I thinking wrong?  The only other thing I can go back to is the weather/air conditioning/humidity which I never worried about.

GoldieMN

12 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

No, could this be the answer to my prayers????

GoldieMN

Not sure. I just know eco worked better than a CD in my waxes. I don’t have any of the newest 464 to try.  I could test the 464 that I have but that would be invalid because my bag is several years old.

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Not sure. I just know eco worked better than a CD in my waxes. I don’t have any of the newest 464 to try.  I could test the 464 that I have but that would be invalid because my bag is several years old.

Thanks.  I can get free shipping from Northstar on wicks so will order a few sizes.

GoldieMN

It could be Goldie and you need to try them and see

GB waxes are so different now that you have to get the wax hot enough with the right wick that can keep up with consumption to keep melt pool under control

CD do not fit this bill anymore making a hot deep meltpool and little throw - at least with 415 that is and 464 is softer so my guess would be it’s your wicks now 

Test this side by side with cd and eco naked and see the difference in your burns 

Then add a fragrance you know used to throw and see what you get 

eco are hot so go smaller than you would a cd 

6 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@moonshine I'm using 464 in pint jars.  I've never been able to get the hot throw I use to get before 2017 with most of my oils.  As a matter of fact, I haven't even been able to get much of any throw with my two Rustic Escentuals apple fragrances that use to throw super strong.  Also tried a few other apple oils suggested on here but getting little throw.  I don't think it is candle nose unless my husband has it too.  :confused: There are other fragrances I get an ok throw from just not the apple.  I guess I will start retesting as soon as I get a nothing-added jar tested.  I figure it is the wick as I can get a throw from aroma bead ornaments using the oils.  Or am I thinking wrong?  The only other thing I can go back to is the weather/air conditioning/humidity which I never worried about.

GoldieMN

Are these wide mouth jars?  I tend to think that wide mouth jars produce better throw.  If they're wide mouth, then I guess that probably isn't part of the problem.  Perhaps others do not have issue with narrow-topped jars, but for some reason, I do, so I try to use containers that have wider tops.

11 minutes ago, moonshine said:

It could be Goldie and you need to try them and see

GB waxes are so different now that you have to get the wax hot enough with the right wick that can keep up with consumption to keep melt pool under control

CD do not fit this bill anymore making a hot deep meltpool and little throw - at least with 415 that is and 464 is softer so my guess would be it’s your wicks now 

Test this side by side with cd and eco naked and see the difference in your burns 

Then add a fragrance you know used to throw and see what you get 

eco are hot so go smaller than you would a cd 

If using a pint jar in 464 and used to use cd 10 and now cd8 which at times can still be a bigger wick, what size eco do you suggest trying?

So you are saying that eco's burn hotter than cd's?   And do you find that the eco's soot?   That's what I didn't like about them.

Trappeur

10 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

If using a pint jar in 464 and used to use cd 10 and now cd8 which at times can still be a bigger wick, what size eco do you suggest trying?

So you are saying that eco's burn hotter than cd's?   And do you find that the eco's soot?   That's what I didn't like about them.

Trappeur

The whole hotter or cooler burn is a little bit confusing because it means different things to different people. What I find about the eco series is that they consume wax more efficiently In my natural waxes. The ability to burn and throw that wax is more efficient.

eco-8 falls somewhere between a CD 12 to 14. I always like to start small. 464 in a tin 3 inches across I would probably start with an eco-6 and move up or down from there. Glass can be the same or one down depending on quite a few things like shape, height compared to width. 

• Like 1

Ditto everything TT said 

Eco seem to consume much better keeping up with the wax so your not left with deep pools and it not able to disperse scent up into the air IF your using the right size - you go to big you will get soot 

there is a learning curve to these wicks for sure to get it perfect 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 9:58 AM, TallTayl said:

About 90% of my fragrances require a wick down of at least one size from the naked wax.

Some require two or three sizes down.

Very few exceptions require a wick up. Those I find that need a wick up are like frankincense and myrrh, my sweet Amber, some very thick, heavy  vanillas.

When I tested my tins the zinc was a little too big and the CD was just right, so I’m testing my FOs with the zinc. Maybe I did something right for a change. For these new Jars the difference between the CD and zinc is a bit larger, I think I’ll test an FO I am familiar with using the zinc. If that doesn’t work the next size CD would be worse so I’ll have to try something else.

Early on ECO14 was recommended by candle science's nifty wick picker for my tin in 464.  I did as instructed and quickly learned ECO can be a powerful wick. 464 back then was not quite as fussy as it is now, but it is now a totally different wax. It should have been renamed, IMO. It's not 464 any more. The experience scared me a touch, and so I took guidance from other members of this forum and went to CD with C3.  Better. Safe at least. Not awesome. HT was nothing spectacular but I could smell them.

While re-testing base waxes for faire over the last year I pulled that collection of ECO back out as I had run through every other possible option.  This time I started out much more conservatively, and guess what? My candles burned and threw well! I was an open ECO hater. The positive ECO experience made me eat my hat. Tasted bitter.

Every single scent is chemically different and changes the wax in that container.  My c3 blend takes anywhere from an eco6 to an eco 10 in the majority of my fragrances in that tin. One or two need an eco12, and campfire types and my amber get boosted to that ghastly big ECO14.  ECO is my first Go To in all new-to-me natural wax blends (except beeswax).

As Moonshine wrote, think small. You can always work up.

58 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The whole hotter or cooler burn is a little bit confusing because it means different things to different people. What I find about the eco series is that they consume wax more efficiently In my natural waxes. The ability to burn and throw that wax is more efficient.

eco-8 falls somewhere between a CD 12 to 14. I always like to start small. 464 in a tin 3 inches across I would probably start with an eco-6 and move up or down from there. Glass can be the same or one down depending on quite a few things like shape, height compared to width. 

So lets see if I'm on track here.....

If lets say an eco 6 could be a starting point for an 8oz 3" wide tin then I'm thinking in a pint canning jar the widest part of that jar being close to 3" wouldn't you say I would need to start even lower in an eco because there are "shoulders" on that jar which traps in the heat unlike the tin that is a straight wall.  So you think an eco 4 could possibly be a starting point?   That's what I'm thinking?   And then you say the eco's burn a bit hotter than cd's?  

When I first started wicking pint jars my go to wick was a cd 12 and if an eco 8 is somewhere between a cd 12 and 14 then that is on the high end...hmmm..

I know, I know....what's that expression we all get tired of telling all the newbies?   Seems like test, test, test....yep...lol

Then on top of it all, if you gave up on 464 TT and Moonshine and don't have really that much good to say about the wax....it's not too encouraging for the ones still hanging in there....like me and Goldie and others....KWIM?:faint:   Now on another note...I just went into the basement to pull out a slew of eco wicks I didn't realize I had and coming up from the bottom of the stairs I could smell my pint canning jar burning from upstairs with a cd 10 in it with CS Pump. Souffle burning in it and I can smell it!   Now for me that is extra points as I don't smell much anything when testing candles as I give to someone to test for me because I smoke......so if I can smell a candle, I know that's wonderful!    Well, for me it is.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

It's great if you can smell your candle.

If you have a couple of jars handy, try several sizes of eco's. I don't have any new boxes of 464 to try, or I'd try along with you. The only 464 i have is at least 5 years old. It needed a much bigger wick than what is being sold as 464 now.

When choosing a wick, the shape of the jar definitely makes a difference. Shoulders will trap more heat. I wick for the bottom. You can try pouring half full jars to see how it will look that far down, then make the next tester full to see if it changes the burn.

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

It's great if you can smell your candle.

If you have a couple of jars handy, try several sizes of eco's. I don't have any new boxes of 464 to try, or I'd try along with you. The only 464 i have is at least 5 years old. It needed a much bigger wick than what is being sold as 464 now.

When choosing a wick, the shape of the jar definitely makes a difference. Shoulders will trap more heat. I wick for the bottom. You can try pouring half full jars to see how it will look that far down, then make the next tester full to see if it changes the burn.

Yeah, that's what I'll do is fill 1/2 full...ok got a plan.

Trappeur

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

since this whole soy debacle began.

On cool nights when the moon was out we would sit around the campfire, and I would tell the children horror stories about using soy wax. Mother would keep the little ones inside or they wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Well you have TT and Moonshine and everyone else here are such troopers with everyone trying to help everyone to their best avail.....Don't worry, we won't hold you to it.....lol

It's all in the game, I know that.   All we can do is try our best.    Thanks everyone for spending the time writing and answering posts we have of one another.   All is good.

Trappeur:icon_highfive:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

On cool nights when the moon was out we would sit around the campfire, and I would tell the children horror stories about using soy wax. Mother would keep the little ones inside or they wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.  

:laugh2:Do you know how many times I had to read this to understand what you were saying? lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

I was just going through the many bags of all different eco's I have and I found a large bag of HTP 5 Wicks from Longwyck Candle Wick which I googled and they say RE bought them out.    I have never heard of an HTP 5 and its not even on RE wick page....does anyone know what type wicks these are?

Trappeur

5 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I was just going through the many bags of all different eco's I have and I found a large bag of HTP 5 Wicks from Longwyck Candle Wick which I googled and they say RE bought them out.    I have never heard of an HTP 5 and its not even on RE wick page....does anyone know what type wicks these are?

Trappeur

HTP are made by Atkns and Pearce. No HTP 5 anywhere I an find. Could it be HTP52 or HTP 105?

HTP Wicks  For Tough to Burn Formulations - Mozilla Firefox 9262018 22408 PM.jpg

heck, those are so old maybe A&P renumbered their wicks somewhere along the line - or Longwyck changed the numbering for their own purpose. Retailers renaming/renumbering happens a LOT to tie people to them.