Over/under wicked?

I am reading all this with a sinking feeling of dread. I have all these mini mason jars I bought because they were super cute. I boiled up some paraffin, eye of newt and wing of bat, poured it in these little jars, jammed in wicks I had made myself, stir sticks in various size or crochet cotton  dipped in wax, and I was so pleased with myself for making all these fabulous gifts to give at Christmas.

And they are all going to suck? I have made hateful gifts? I am MORTIFIED! (laying on floor on face) THIS IS TOO HARD!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ramr said:

I am reading all this with a sinking feeling of dread. I have all these mini mason jars I bought because they were super cute. I boiled up some paraffin, eye of newt and wing of bat, poured it in these little jars, jammed in wicks I had made myself, stir sticks in various size or crochet cotton  dipped in wax, and I was so pleased with myself for making all these fabulous gifts to give at Christmas.

And they are all going to suck? I have made hateful gifts? I am MORTIFIED! (laying on floor on face) THIS IS TOO HARD!

Just hang on, those might work better than 464! :P

GoldieMN

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Are you freaken kiddn me???:shocked2::faint:

I guess you have a lot of "hate" people on your list...lol

Newt eyes and bat wings?

God love ya and God help the ones on the gift receiving end......cause they'll be sucking wind all right......

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forrest said:

What I really love about this board is the way we stick to the subject😄

Oh yeah!!!!!   Isn't that the truth...thats what makes it even more fun and eager looking to come to this board as you just NEVER KNOW who/what is going to be discussed about or swayed in a conversation.....I have sat here so many times laughing  all by myself at some of the crap that comes out of people's mouths, (mine included)........ha ha

Trappeur

• Like 2

Just checking in with my testing results using 464 with no fragrance, in a pint canning jar, Premier 770 wick, CD 10 wick, and Eco 8 wick.  The CD 10 had a bigger flame with a hotter jar than the other two.  The Premier and Eco performed close to the same as far as being able to handle the jar easily even after a 10-hour burn.  The Eco melt pool consistently stayed a little smaller than the Premier; the CD was about 1/2".  

I am going to test with fragrance and the Ecos next since Premiers with this current wax have not been giving me the hot throw I want.  From what you said, @TallTayl, I will test with the Eco 6.  :)

GoldieMN

• Thanks 1

Sounds like a good place to start. For wick experimenting I pour new jars without a wick, and poke a hole when set up. This way you can wick up or down as needed until you find that sweet spot for your jar. Your wick will tip over when it gets to the bottom 1/3-1/4 but that’s ok. By then you should have a good idea if the wick will works d can pour a new one with that wick to test from the top.

i look for good, clean burns with not a speck of soot. A small mushroom might be ok if all else is good. 

Rooting for You!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sounds like a good place to start. For wick experimenting I pour new jars without a wick, and poke a hole when set up. This way you can wick up or down as needed until you find that sweet spot for your jar. 

Yes, I've been doing the pour-without-a-wick as a result of it being suggested here.  

I did forget to mention, absolutely no soot! :)  Mushrooms weren't bad either.

I may have asked this before, but is there any reason I shouldn't pour the 185 degree wax directly in my pint jars, add the fragrance oil, and stir as opposed to using another container to mix in before pouring into the test jars?

GoldieMN

Pouring the fo into wax already in the jar will never get it blended well enough. You need to move that FO all through the wax to ensure the whole entire candle is homogenous. The wax drops temp rapidly when it hits a jar. If you’re working with a small amount of wax it’s not the worst idea to blend the fo in the pour pot over some heat to make sure it does not cool so fast that the FO pools or ribbons through the wax.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Pouring the fo into wax already in the jar will never get it blended well enough. You need to move that FO all through the wax to ensure the whole entire candle is homogenous. The wax drops temp rapidly when it hits a jar. If you’re working with a small amount of wax it’s not the worst idea to blend the fo in the pour pot over some heat to make sure it does not cool so fast that the FO pools or ribbons through the wax.

This ties in with a discussion I was having with birdcharm about Candles and Supplies recommending 6006 be heated to 200 degrees. My thinking is that the wax and FO will blend better the warmer the wax is. To that end I’m going to alter my process to keep the temp up until the wax and FO are thoroughly blended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only way to get repeatable results is to keep the process very similar every time.

When. I try to cut corners on small batches the test candles are never as good as the larger runs. I get false results (candles that don’t burn or smell the same) as the final product. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/24/2018 at 2:51 PM, Forrest said:

First off there isn’t a right way and a wrong, all ways shall be judged by their results. There is a way that we do things at NASA. The technical term for what we are doing is establishing a baseline. So in this case my baseline is a 51 zinc in an 8oz tin, I tested a bunch of wicks to get there. Always testing without FO allows me to compare my test results. When I burn a new FO in the tin I’ll always start with a 51 zinc and wick up or down base on how that first candle burns. I suspect most FO will work with my baseline wick. I’m not sure I see any benefit to using FO in my testing. I lack the experience and intuition that you have so I have to follow a process. I would say that you should ignore what other people are doing, because what you are doing is clearly working. BTW did you recognize the jar? I found a case on eBay at a good price.  

I 100% agree. I needed to find a baseline as well. Testing my natural wick gave me tons of knowledge and a footing on what I was learning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bekah said:

I 100% agree. I needed to find a baseline as well. Testing my natural wick gave me tons of knowledge and a footing on what I was learning.

I said that in 2018, today my process is a bit different. I take my best guess at a wick for the wax and FO I'm using and if it needs adjusting I use my wick list to pick a larger or smaller wick based on how the first test worked and do a wickectomy. I often have do a second wickectomy, but usually get it right by then. All of that came with experience and I would still highly recommend establishing a baseline for anyone without a lot of experience; however,  before you can do that you have to understand what properly wicked candle burns like, and that is where many people have problems.