What makes your product unique?

Forrest

I’ve always been interested in marketing and what makes people buy the things that they buy, but recently I’ve started thing about marketing as it relates to candles. So I downloaded the audio book The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (And Why They Don't) by Sean D'Souza. The book mostly contained advice for people who were selling big ticket items or perhaps building a website to sell online. But the one topic that would apply to any of the products people on this board make had to do with uniqueness. The point was to find the thing that makes your products unique and focus on that. He further stated that if your product wasn’t unique you need to change it to make it unique. I saw one example of unique in a little shop in Blue Ridge, GA. It seems like ever shop in Blue Ridge carries soy candles, but these were different simply because the containers were unlike anything I had seen. Of course they were Trap’s candles, but that was a perfect example of uniqueness. Another perfect example can be seen in the thread on this board “TT’s 2018 Faire Days”. You really can’t get more unique than that. So, what makes your products unique?

• Like 1

I like to do my own blends as much as possible, so I know my fragrance selection is unique to me.

I also always rename fragrances to reflect my brand's style. 

Great topic, I put a lot of thought into what makes my products special, and how to market from that position.

• Like 2

Like Sarah, I do almost all custom blends. When I smell a fragrance I almost immediately get a feeling of what it "needs" to round it out. I only do a handful of single FOs, all my others are blends. When someone buys a soap or candle from me, they are getting something they can't get anywhere else. I get a lot of enjoyment from blending and testing and naming. Almost as much as making the items themselves. 😂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Faerywren said:

Like Sarah, I do almost all custom blends. When I smell a fragrance I almost immediately get a feeling of what it "needs" to round it out. I only do a handful of single FOs, all my others are blends. When someone buys a soap or candle from me, they are getting something they can't get anywhere else. I get a lot of enjoyment from blending and testing and naming. Almost as much as making the items themselves. 😂

This sounds exactly like me, and what I was going to say as well. :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I like to do my own blends as much as possible, so I know my fragrance selection is unique to me.

I also always rename fragrances to reflect my brand's style. 

Great topic, I put a lot of thought into what makes my products special, and how to market from that position.

15 hours ago, Faerywren said:

15 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

This sounds exactly like me, and what I was going to say as well. :)

Then according to the book I read having unique scents that aren’t available anywhere else should be the cornerstone of your marketing.  So my follow up question would be do the people who buy your products know this? If not what could you do to make sure they know?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Then according to the book I read having unique scents that aren’t available anywhere else should be the cornerstone of your marketing.  So my follow up question would be do the people who buy your products know this? If not what could you do to make sure they know?

I give the majority of my products names that don't have the scent anywhere in the name. Like my blue mermaid fin soap. I'm naming that one A Sailor's Dream.  My DB, embargo, CB scented soap is named Kilgharrah after The Great Dragon of Merlin folklore. For me, that is also part of my "uniqueness" - you will never find another "Kilgharrah" soap scented the same as mine.

I always say, it's the look of my product that draws them in, and gets them to pick up the product, and it's a combination of the scent and naming convention that gets them to buy. I do have some customers, that will ask if I have a certain scent, and if I have one that is it, or close, I hand them the product and let them sniff it to see if it's what they are looking for - 9 times out of 10 it's not, since I blend, however, 6 times out of 10 they will buy. (this is a guess, but it's a only a handful that turn their nose up and don't buy because it's not exactly spot on what they want) 

• Like 2

I agree with Jcandleattic.  I think unique also encompasses visual.  A product that instantly draws the eye...labeling, packaging, presentation, etc. should standout to attract customers.

Once they lean in.....hopefully the product itself will amaze.

• Like 1

i get where this is coming from, @Forrest, from a marketing standpoint, it's what makes your product stand out to your ideal costumer.  With so many candles and B & B products out there, it helps to have a brand identity that is different from most of what is available.  It is your passion speaking to other's passions.  Everything from ingredients, to names, to packaging, to intended use, etc is a part of that.  

My ideas so far are how I might incorporate things I love: nature, food (lol), local and fandom things, into unique lines.  Of course there are others inspired by these things too, so what I aspire to will be an original take on each, my own titles, custom artwork, custom blends when I can (still learning that craft).  An aesthetic that ties everything together.  For me, I can't get away from natural, whimsical, and sometimes silly. 

Making the essence of your offerings strongly displayed and cohesive, will direct your optimal customer's attention straight to you.  or so they say... 

Wrapping it all up in a concise brand statement, that's a challenge.           

@Faerywren, that is really appealing to me as a maker and customer.  Scent being so tied with experience and memory, relating, but managing to come from a unique angle.  I figure if people don't know what something smells like, I can get more specific in the description.

Edited by Jenni Wix
Tiered to tied

8 minutes ago, Jenni Wix said:

@Faerywren, that is really appealing to me as a maker and customer.  Scent being so tied with experience and memory, relating, but managing to come from a unique angle.  I figure if people don't know what something smells like, I can get more specific in the description.

Exactly. Scent is so powerful. I just adore experimenting with it. I mentioned in a previous comment about knowing what needs to be added to an FO to round it out, I also almost always get a "vibe" from an FO that sets me off on a mission to create a blend for it. For instance, my homage to Sherlock Holmes, Baker Street, came about when I smelled Candlewic's Mahogany Spice. A nice FO that instantly gave me a "gentlemen's club" vibe. Not gentlemen's club like a strip club 😃, but gentlemen's club like leather armchairs, wood paneling and older, distinguished men smoking pipes in tweed jackets. So, I added tobacco, vanilla, sandalwood and a hint of bay rum to bring the scent that was in my head to reality. It may sound a little bizarre, but that's how i roll. LOL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Faerywren said:

Like others here, my fragrance names don't tell you what they smell like. Some of my blends names are: Baker Street, Airship Captain, Nocturne, Opheliac, Misty Mountain, Wicked Orchard, and Frankly, Scarlet. 

I love those names and it saves you the problem of trying to come up with a name that describe the scent when you have no idea what it smells like. After all Volcano does not smell like a volcano, but it sells.

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

This is what I think the author of my book was trying to say. Your product and display will draw the customers in and many will buy, but having something they can't get anywhere else keeps them from walking away. The "last chance" mentality will get people who are on the fence to make the decision to buy and it will get some people to increase the amount they purchase.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jenni Wix said:

i get where this is coming from, @Forrest, from a marketing standpoint, it's what makes your product stand out to your ideal costumer.  With so many candles and B & B products out there, it helps to have a brand identity that is different from most of what is available.  It is your passion speaking to other's passions.  Everything from ingredients, to names, to packaging, to intended use, etc is a part of that.  

My ideas so far are how I might incorporate things I love: nature, food (lol), local and fandom things, into unique lines.  Of course there are others inspired by these things too, so what I aspire to will be an original take on each, my own titles, custom artwork, custom blends when I can (still learning that craft).  An aesthetic that ties everything together.  For me, I can't get away from natural, whimsical, and sometimes silly. 

Making the essence of your offerings strongly displayed and cohesive, will direct your optimal customer's attention straight to you.  or so they say... 

Wrapping it all up in a concise brand statement, that's a challenge.           

It certainly sounds like you are on the right track. One interesting concept from the book was that you should pick a single person and design your marketing specifically for them. In a crowded market that gives you a specific demographic that will buy from you first. Perhaps you have a friend with similar taste who would help you. This would also might keep you from doing too much. The other thing that TT's display got me thinking about is having a theme, your products might be perfect for that. Remember, you don't need to sell to everyone. It is better to own a small part of the market than to share the whole market with a lot of people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Like a lot of us, I do lots of my own blends.  I'm just a beginner at blending, so it's trial by fire for me.

I think what sets me apart is I really sat down and thought about WHO I am, who my target market is,  came up with  a list of adjectives to describe me and my company. From there I jotted down scent names since I rename almost everything, and then talked at length with my graphics designer about how to integrate it together.  All of this before I sold anything at all.  I had my company name picked out, and had already signed up for all social media platforms to reserve the name. 

My style is edgy,  vintage, rock & roll, tongue in cheek BUT I need to be able to sell to housewives in the suburbs too.  My designer put it all together perfectly!  Its upscale and sophisticated yet fun and tongue in cheek to those that get the joke.  My designer is a friend of the family,  no way could I have afforded her services!  She works for a big downtown firm and does marketing campaigns for big and important things.  

dance floor front label.jpg

Cherry bomb.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Velma said:

Like a lot of us, I do lots of my own blends.  I'm just a beginner at blending, so it's trial by fire for me.

I think what sets me apart is I really sat down and thought about WHO I am, who my target market is,  came up with  a list of adjectives to describe me and my company. From there I jotted down scent names since I rename almost everything, and then talked at length with my graphics designer about how to integrate it together.  All of this before I sold anything at all.  I had my company name picked out, and had already signed up for all social media platforms to reserve the name. 

My style is edgy,  vintage, rock & roll, tongue in cheek BUT I need to be able to sell to housewives in the suburbs too.  My designer put it all together perfectly!  Its upscale and sophisticated yet fun and tongue in cheek to those that get the joke.  My designer is a friend of the family,  no way could I have afforded her services!  She works for a big downtown firm and does marketing campaigns for big and important things.  

You certainly have the unique down! Just stick to the theme and you should do well.

Thanks everyone!   My designer really nailed it - the only requirement I had was that leopard print MUST be used. Everything else was up to her, and she absolutely nailed what I wanted without me understanding what I wanted, in the first try.  

Seriously,  there was no way I could do this on my own. I know nothing about graphic stuff and really have no inclination to try it. I really am someone who does most things on my own, but I gladly handed this task off to a professional.  It made my life easier and made launching my etsy store a breeze.  

• Like 2