When Zincs die in 6006

Hey everyone it has been quite a while since I have commented or posted a topic and I hope all is well. Ok well I am primarily a Zinc user but there are scents that I just cannot get Zincs to cooperate with while using 6006. The issue is not the scent throw but they will drown out on heavier scents. Whether I wick up or down it still does not work and it has been frustrating. I do have some CD’s, CDN’S, HTP’s, LX, ECO’s, Premiers and maybe some other brands. Anyone have suggestions on a wick that works well for them with this combo?

Bfroberts,

Thank you for your response and I do have CD’s laying around. I always have trouble with Pumpkin Soufflé from CS and Pumpkin Pie from CS and a few others. I just ordered some CD 8’s and I am hoping that they will work in my 8oz mason jars. I tried CD 10’s in those but it seemed like it was a bit too much. The 10’s seemed to melt the wax away too quickly and they got pretty hot. 

3 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Bfroberts,

Thank you for your response and I do have CD’s laying around. I always have trouble with Pumpkin Soufflé from CS and Pumpkin Pie from CS and a few others. I just ordered some CD 8’s and I am hoping that they will work in my 8oz mason jars. I tried CD 10’s in those but it seemed like it was a bit too much. The 10’s seemed to melt the wax away too quickly and they got pretty hot. 

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

If a zinc won't work, I use CD.  I have to use a CD for a couple of scents.....Pumpkin Souffle being the usual suspect.

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

After much testing I am using CDs for most of my containers. I used to use zincs, but I fined the melt pool is not as deep with the CDs

Let me ask y'all something. When you switch over to the CDs, do you just try to match up the diameters of the wicks?

10 hours ago, Forrest said:

No, I tested various sizes of CDs until I found the right one. I can tell you this based on my last test, the 51 zinc burns a little hotter than a CD8.

OK. I think I understand now. You did your research. But I was trying to figure out how I would sort through all the wicks out there. How many are there? A thousand or maybe 10,000 types? I don't know. I must be looking for that book: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Candle Wicks But Were Afraid To Ask. :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Quentin said:

OK. I think I understand now. You did your research. But I was trying to figure out how I would sort through all the wicks out there. How many are there? A thousand or maybe 10,000 types? I don't know. I must be looking for that book: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Candle Wicks But Were Afraid To Ask. :whistling:

lol, lol....I've looked for that book myself....never could find it.

Trappeur

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry guys I meant to respond back sooner but I have been struggling with signing in. So I never measure by width of a wick I go by charts which are accessible online. Or I will call the company who is selling a particular brand of wick and find out where they would suggest to start testing at. All you really need is a general idea of where to start and the rest is testing. In my situation I have been using Zincs for a long time as my primary wick but sometimes they are not strong enough for certain scents. So I have a million other wicks and just wanted to see what others have had success with. 

After speaking with a few other chandlers here who use 6006 and me using 464 and all of us using cd's I am finding that what works for me for in say a status jar and them also using a status jar, it seems to be that 2 sizes down is what the 6006 users use from what ever I'm using.   What jar are you trying to wick?   I can give you a suggested starting wick size that can give you a general starting area.

Trappeur

Trappeur,

Thanks for responding and I am using 8oz mason jars. I have been using these for years and zincs with much success but sometimes a heavier scent will not cooperate. I have CD wicks and I do like them. So what would you suggest to start?

Cute labels!

Ok, in that jar I use a cd 10.   Sometimes I can get away with a cd 8 if the fragrance is light.   So from what I'm hearing like I said from users with 6006 in that jar going down 2 sizes would make it a cd 6....If I were doing that jar I would start with the cd 6 and a cd 8 in your wax....now this is my suggestion.   That jar is such a popular and the wax also, I'm sure others will come along here and give their input.

Did you try searching here?  Try wicking an 8oz mason with 6006.

Trappeur

Trappeur,

Thank you for the compliment and suggestions. I am using 6006 in those jars currently and I am happy with this wax. I ordered CD 8’s a couple days ago so hopefully those will work well. I will have to get some 6’s either way I am sure. I love my zincs on most candles but like I said sometimes they just can’t stand up to heavier fragrances. I have tried CD’s in some apothecary jars and they worked well but did soot more than what I wanted but the scent throw and burn was great. I will definitely test with the 8’s for now until I order 6’s. Thanks again

16 minutes ago, Candle guy said:

Trappeur,

Thank you for the compliment and suggestions. I am using 6006 in those jars currently and I am happy with this wax. I ordered CD 8’s a couple days ago so hopefully those will work well. I will have to get some 6’s either way I am sure. I love my zincs on most candles but like I said sometimes they just can’t stand up to heavier fragrances. I have tried CD’s in some apothecary jars and they worked well but did soot more than what I wanted but the scent throw and burn was great. I will definitely test with the 8’s for now until I order 6’s. Thanks again

No problem...let us know how and if any of these wicks works it you don't care.   I'm curious myself.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Bfroberts,

I usually do do not have trouble with 6006 in mason jars it’s the heavier fragrances and in the way I am wicking those. So I will use the CD’s and see. I have used 6006 in apothecary jars and it took a long time for the wicks to burn evenly but they always had a good scent throw. They also did soot a lot in those containers with CD’s. Need to find a wax that will work better with those bigger containers

I love the square masons, but 6006 gives me such a headache pouring into those.  I have never been able to pour a batch without half of them developing holes.  I've tried everything, adjusting pour temps, cooling methods, everything.  If you can pour 6006 into those jars without holes, I applaud you.  Wicking wasn't my issue, but the pour was horrible for me.

I'm about to start working with Candlewic's CBL - whatever # it is that is their version of 4630.  I'm having issues with 4630 that I never used to have before, very much like the issues I had with 6006 that led me to give it up.  We'll see how that pans out.  Might be a good wax for those larger containers.

Definitely keep me updated as I am not opposed to testing a new wax. I used to use 4627 but just couldn’t stand all of the bubbles in the jar when it cools down. It just looked ugly as sin but the scent throw was unmatched. I also have trouble with holes around the wicks with 6006 sometimes, but I will zap it with a heat gun and it’s fine. It is a pain having to do that but there is always some kind of give and take inhave found unfortunately lol.