When Zincs die in 6006

Ok everyone I have an update on the Pumpkin Chai testing. I used a CD 8 in my 8oz mason jar at 8% with 6006 wax. First burn the scent throw is amazing and I let it burn for about 7 hours just to see if the wick drowns. The melt pool was only about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches wide. But the wick stayed alive. I am on my second burn now and the scent is ok by not as strong and the same size melt pool and it’s beginning to tunnel. The melt pool is not large enough to clear the sides and it has been burning for about  3 to 4 hours now. I am concerned that this will not be strong enough. I am also hesitant to go to a CD 10 because usually those are too hot in a mason with 6006. I may just have to try that though. I know that I can drop to maybe 6% fragrances load but not sure that will work either. Any suggestions?

bfroberts….CBL125 is Candlewic's version of 4630.  I love this wax...zinc wicks work incredibly well with this wax in the 8oz square mason.  Even though it is a one pour wax, I often use a heat gun to smooth the tops.  This is a non-issue for me.

49 minutes ago, barbaranj said:

bfroberts….CBL125 is Candlewic's version of 4630.  I love this wax...zinc wicks work incredibly well with this wax in the 8oz square mason.  Even though it is a one pour wax, I often use a heat gun to smooth the tops.  This is a non-issue for me.

Thanks, barbaranj.  I bought some, but I haven't gotten around to testing it.  I got side tracked working with palm waxes.  I am just so dang tired of these pesky holes.  I hate using the heat gun to fix them.  

On 8/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Candle guy said:

I wouldn’t mind experimenting with CBL 125 as well. I wouldn’t mind having another parrafin wax in my arsenal. I also have 100’s of Zinc wicks so I could put them to good use. 

please do keep us posted if you try the CBL 125.  I'm a 6006 fan but I could be swayed.  

On 8/5/2018 at 1:26 PM, Candle guy said:

Ok everyone I have an update on the Pumpkin Chai testing. I used a CD 8 in my 8oz mason jar at 8% with 6006 wax. First burn the scent throw is amazing and I let it burn for about 7 hours just to see if the wick drowns. The melt pool was only about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches wide. But the wick stayed alive. I am on my second burn now and the scent is ok by not as strong and the same size melt pool and it’s beginning to tunnel. The melt pool is not large enough to clear the sides and it has been burning for about  3 to 4 hours now. I am concerned that this will not be strong enough. I am also hesitant to go to a CD 10 because usually those are too hot in a mason with 6006. I may just have to try that though. I know that I can drop to maybe 6% fragrances load but not sure that will work either. Any suggestions?

I tested 8oz tins with CD6 and CD8 and the CD6 gave me a slightly bigger melt pool. I would try a 51 zinc if you haven't already tried it. If that didn't work I would try the CD10 before moving on to a different wick.

7 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

please do keep us posted if you try the CBL 125.  I'm a 6006 fan but I could be swayed.  

On August 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Candle guy said:

I wouldn’t mind experimenting with CBL 125 as well. I wouldn’t mind having another parrafin wax in my arsenal. I also have 100’s of Zinc wicks so I could put them to good use. 

Doooo iiiiittttt! You will not regret it! 😁

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok everyone I tested the Pumpkin Soufflé from CS with a Zinc 51 and a CD10 at 6% Fragrance load in a 8oz mason jar. I am awaiting more Pumpkin Chai from CS at the moment and I will test that again using the same wicks as I did for Pumpkin Soufflé. Ok so the testing results are as follows: Zinc 51 burned about 75% of the candle down clearing the sides and had a great scent throw before it extinguished itself. The CD10 stayed lit about 6 hours longer than the 51  , burned the sides down completely and smelled just as great. The CD burned all the way to the bottom to where the wick safety extinguished itself out. All in all the CD10 passed the test for me. I will update with testing results for Pumpkin Chai

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a sample of CBl-125 wax. I made a couple testers already in my 8oz mason jars. I am burning one as I am writing this. The smell is amazing but it has only been 2 hours into the burn so time will tell. I am burning Fraser Fir from CS and it smells fantastic in this wax. I really hope the wick I am using will work all the way through. I will update with the testing results. I also made a Cranberry Marmalade as well. 

I also made two testers of Pumpkin Chai from CS using an Eco 8 and 10 in 6006 at 7% in a 8 oz mason jar. I will begin the burns tomorrow and see how the Ecos hold up with this scent. Some scents are so heavy that I cannot seem to get them wicked. I feel that if I go to a Zinc 60 in a 8 oz mason jar that it will be too big!!!  I may have to try that also if the Ecos do not do the job. Time will tell I suppose! 🤞

• Thanks 1

I use HTPs with that wax - I don't often pour 8oz Mason's, but with that fragrance I would use an HTP 62. I always have to wick way down with pines, so even the 62 might be a little big. I think the down side of that wax is that it is so soft, the melt pool can get too deep too fast in the smaller jars. Similar to soy in tins.

Zincs might be the way to go in this case, especially if you are liking the burn so far!

Sarah S

I do have some HTP’s but not sure if I have those sizes. Have you ever used CD’s in this wax? I have Clarus 3022 wax and it’s roughly 70% soy and 30% paraffin so it is very soft also. I have a hard time wicking that. I bought a bunch of CDN wicks and some of those work in larger containers but can’t seem to wick Masons. The wax develops a big melt pool also and it tends to drown out my wicks. 

14 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Sarah S

I do have some HTP’s but not sure if I have those sizes. Have you ever used CD’s in this wax? I have Clarus 3022 wax and it’s roughly 70% soy and 30% paraffin so it is very soft also. I have a hard time wicking that. I bought a bunch of CDN wicks and some of those work in larger containers but can’t seem to wick Masons. The wax develops a big melt pool also and it tends to drown out my wicks. 

I use CSNs with the palm wax, but I've never tried CDs or CDNs. It's tough, so many of those wicks burn so hot!

Have you ever tried Premiers? They seem to have a cooler burn and they work in paraffin and veggie waxes. I've only done a few candles with them though.

14 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Sarah S

What type of containers do you pour with CBL 125?

I use a 16oz straight jar, like a salsa jar, and 16-22 oz apothecary jars. For strictly personal use, I like to triple wick the big candle bowls from the floral section of the craft store. Fills my whole house!

image.jpeg.1926e82030bafc51120679c2ec694904.jpeg

Sarah S

I have another question for you or anyone that can answer this. Have you found that sometimes you have to trim your wicks after each burn and sometimes you do not? When I burn some of my candles (most notably my heavier fragrances) I am sometimes left with a wick that looks like it did, minus the soot, before I even burned it. Sometimes I will do my first test burn for about 5 hours and it will mushroom  and have carbon build up, grow taller and then on my second burn it will have none of that. My second burn it may just stay at the length I trimmed it. Is this normal? I think it would be tough trying to explain to customers or people that they need to trim the wicks if they don’t need to every time. 

16 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Sarah S

Where do you get those triple wick containers from? I cannot seem to find them anywhere. I have a bunch of premiers but I hardly ever used them. Now the sizes of the wicks have been rubbed off of the bags so I dont know what’s what lmao. 

I picked mine up at Walmart, in the fake flower section. I think the were $3.00. The only thing I don't like about them is that there is a big dip in the middle of the base, which makes centering the wicks a bit tricky.

EAP also sells a big candle bowl that I've been wanting to check out.

As far as the Premiers, really when you think about it, the sizes are kind of abitrary. I mean, you could give each bag a different name, test the wicks, and go with your findings. Testing would be a Bellatrix, cause you wouldn't know if you were wicking up or down, but once you found the right size, you'd be fine. Until you use them up and you need to re-order. 😂😂

Thanks Sarah S for the input. Testing the premiers in the way you proposed is an idea I have pondered over yet I haven’t gotten around to it lol. I may have to track down that container and just play around with the triple wicking for personal use. Thanks for that input. I am now just waiting to see how my CBl 125 test burns

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candle guy said:

Sarah S

I have another question for you or anyone that can answer this. Have you found that sometimes you have to trim your wicks after each burn and sometimes you do not? When I burn some of my candles (most notably my heavier fragrances) I am sometimes left with a wick that looks like it did, minus the soot, before I even burned it. Sometimes I will do my first test burn for about 5 hours and it will mushroom  and have carbon build up, grow taller and then on my second burn it will have none of that. My second burn it may just stay at the length I trimmed it. Is this normal? I think it would be tough trying to explain to customers or people that they need to trim the wicks if they don’t need to every time. 

That happens all the time! I try to find the right wick so the burn is consistent and no trimming is needed, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I think so much depends on the fragrance, like you said. And some wicks just require more trimming than others naturally.

Also you just don't know your customer's burn behavior. What's a typical burn for them? If it's only and hour or two at a time, they may not need to trim much at all. If they burn 6 hours or more at a time, they'll have a big ol' shroom to trim every time. I try to educate on what a wick looks like when it needs a trim, and hope they have good judgement, lol.

Sarah S

Ahhh yes the wonders of wicking!!!🤪

people have all kinds of methods to testing and wicking it seems. I like to burn a candle for a minimum of 4 hours however I have never stopped at the 3 hour mark just to trim it. Sometimes I will let the burn go for 6 hours just to mimick what some customers will do. I know of many people who let their candles burn all

day long so I at least burn for 4 to 6 at a time if I can. I had tried to educate people before when

i was running my business to not burn for 1 to 2 hours because this will cause tunneling. Hard to find the balance because many scents will smell amazing with a wick that may mushroom a lot. I just can’t stand flames that are barely alive in a candle. Makes me feel like if I walk by them too quickly they will extinguish. 

Update on the CBL125!!!

My Fraser Fir (CS) in a 8oz mason jar using CBL125 with a Zinc 51 in 6006 is about 25 hours into testing. Wick is not burning hot and not weak either. Scent throw is excellent and it’s clearing the the sides beautifully. Looks like this candle may pass testing but I will see. The Cranberry Marmalade from CS using the same specs however is failing once again. I cannot seem to get this scent among a few others to work in any wick and wax combination I have used. It has failed in Clarus 3022, 6006, 464, 4627 and now CBL125. It is a heavier scent and tough to wick even at a lower percentage. The wick always drowns out on me. Maybe I should try an ECO or HTP wick next. I burned the Pumpkin Chais with an Eco 8 and 10 but they became way too hot for my liking in 6006. I just made 2 new testers using an Eco 6 and a HTP83. I will update. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Candle guy said:

Update on the CBL125!!!

My Fraser Fir (CS) in a 8oz mason jar using CBL125 with a Zinc 51 in 6006 is about 25 hours into testing. Wick is not burning hot and not weak either. Scent throw is excellent and it’s clearing the the sides beautifully. Looks like this candle may pass testing but I will see. The Cranberry Marmalade from CS using the same specs however is failing once again. I cannot seem to get this scent among a few others to work in any wick and wax combination I have used. It has failed in Clarus 3022, 6006, 464, 4627 and now CBL125. It is a heavier scent and tough to wick even at a lower percentage. The wick always drowns out on me. Maybe I should try an ECO or HTP wick next. I burned the Pumpkin Chais with an Eco 8 and 10 but they became way too hot for my liking in 6006. I just made 2 new testers using an Eco 6 and a HTP83. I will update. 

Thanks for this update.  It's interesting to see how different fo's perform in each wax (the translation of this is that it's a pain in the a** sometimes).  I just made a tester with an 8 oz square mason, 6006, CS Mistletoe and a CD 7; lucky me it was perfect on the first try.  Next is CS PumpkinSouffle and  CS Apple Harvest.  AH has been another easy one to work with.  Please keep us posted!