Warm Vs Cool Environment Test Revisited

The reality of this topic really hit home for me last night. I recently finished wick testing my on 8oz tureens and started testing some FOs in them. I tested 8 FOs for three burns of 4 hours each. After that I decided I would just enjoy the candles and keep an eye on them to make sure they are still burning correctly. I keep my house at 80 degrees, but I keep my bedroom much cooler. So last night when I turned on the air conditioner in the bedroom I lit one of the candles. Three hours later I went in to the bedroom and noticed that the HT was I expected. When I checked the candle it was tunneling and the MP wasn’t much more than an inch wide. Clearly it needed a bigger wick. To be honest I kind of expected this, I tested this candle at a warmer than normal temp and burned it a lower than normal temp, so this was sort of an extreme case.  

My take away from all this is not that I shouldn’t test at 80 degrees, I can’t not test for four months a year.  It is that I should be aware that I’ll need to adjust my wicking for a normal room temp.  I was using a CD6 so I’ll probably move up to a CD8, but I have test data on several wicks, so picking one that is a little hotter than a CD6 shouldn’t be a problem.    

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Precision wicking does testing for customers. Their lab controls the environment at 70*F for consistent tests. 

Well that's right in between the 80 degrees I keep my house in summer and the 60 degrees I keep it in winter

You can drive yourself crazy trying to replicate every scenario/temperature that might happen.  I was told from many suppliers if you keep your testing between 70 & 74* your keeping with the industry standard.  You may have to adjust your thermostat 🤣

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

You can drive yourself crazy trying to replicate every scenario/temperature that might happen.  I was told from many suppliers if you keep your testing between 70 & 74* your keeping with the industry standard.  You may have to adjust your thermostat 🤣

That is true, but I'd be spending all my money on the utility bill and couldn't afford all my candle supplies. For my personal use I'll be making candles for winter, summer, and Spring/fall with different wicks. If I start selling I'll go with the spring/fall wicks.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:43 PM, Forrest said:

Well that's right in between the 80 degrees I keep my house in summer and the 60 degrees I keep it in winter

You keep your house at 80 degrees in the summer?!

On 7/25/2018 at 2:57 PM, Forrest said:

That is true, but I'd be spending all my money on the utility bill and couldn't afford all my candle supplies. For my personal use I'll be making candles for winter, summer, and Spring/fall with different wicks. If I start selling I'll go with the spring/fall wicks.

OH my gosh....are you serious?  You will be driving yourself crazy!   Well, if they are just for yourself, I could understand, I think.....

I wished I HAD a heating system in my cabin!

Trappeur

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

OH my gosh....are you serious?  You will be driving yourself crazy!   Well, if they are just for yourself, I could understand, I think.....

I wished I HAD a heating system in my cabin!

Trappeur

As for driving myself crazy, that ship sailed a long time ago. But you're right, I could just use melts when it's to hot or cold for my candles to burn properly, or use TT's wick trimming method.

5 hours ago, Forrest said:

I have a dehumidifier and 80 is a comfortable temp. It is probably 65 in my bedroom at night.

Okay. It's been over 100 here in Texas, so, I'm thinking 80 degrees! No way! Lol

I poured the candle this morning. On the bottom half I used 36g 464 mixed with 64g of 6006 which yields a blend of 55% soy and 45% paraffin. On the top I used 100g of 6006, which is 30% paraffin. I use two Premier 700 WI-720 wicks. If you look closely you can see the difference in the two waxes, but that’s not an issue for me. My objective is to get a full melt pool that is less than a half inch deep for most of the burn. This probably won’t do it, but it should be closer than my last test with 100% 6006 and I still have a little room to make adjustments. Just so y’all understand this isn’t the main focus in my candle making journey. I spent 6 months, and a lot of wax, doing wick testing and now I’m testing FOs to see about their wicking and making some blends; you know, normal stuff. This is just an obsession to feed my insanity.  Now I wait two weeks, I’ll report the results after the test burns.

I thought 6006 was like 70 paraffin and 30 soy Forrest?

So the top of candle being your using 6006 that will be your using more paraffin than soy and the bottom being mixed your adding extra soy to the already blended soy and paraffin mixture of 6006.  So your doing opposite of one another.  So let me ask you this...when you pour the bottom 1/2 are you waiting for that to completely harden b/4 you add the top 1/2?     So when you burn your candle and they meet in the middle and then they start melting together what ratio will you then have made?

More soy than paraffin?   Geesh, I'm really confused...So what I'm saying is what is your candle going to wind up being?   More soy than paraffin?  

Trappeur

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I thought 6006 was like 70 paraffin and 30 soy Forrest?

So the top of candle being your using 6006 that will be your using more paraffin than soy and the bottom being mixed your adding extra soy to the already blended soy and paraffin mixture of 6006.  So your doing opposite of one another.  So let me ask you this...when you pour the bottom 1/2 are you waiting for that to completely harden b/4 you add the top 1/2?     So when you burn your candle and they meet in the middle and then they start melting together what ratio will you then have made?

More soy than paraffin?   Geesh, I'm really confused...So what I'm saying is what is your candle going to wind up being?   More soy than paraffin?  

Trappeur

All my test candles burned to hot in the bottom half so I'm hopping the extra soy will slow the burn down. I waited for the bottom half to cool before pouring the top half and I poured at a cooler temp than normal, so the mixing should be minimal. Over all the candle is 42.5% soy, it just has more at the bottom than the top. I guess we'll find out what's going to happen in two weeks. I'll post pictures so y'all can see.

ok, I gotcha....I understand...so it's almost a 50/50 paraffin and soy candle .....almost.

So when you used just 6006 which is way more paraffin it didn't work for you because of just the wicking.  I still find that hard to believe even though I know you are right, but in my mind when you get to the widest part of the jar with whatever wicks you are using, it should really slow down that deep melt pool.....Well too, being I use the tureens also, what you are battling too is you have a neck on that jar which traps in the heat.  I so well know how difficult tureens are to wick.  Well good luck..Hey Forest, since you are double wicking...how far apart are the wicks from one another when you stick them in the jar?  That will make a big difference also I found out.

Trappeur

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

ok, I gotcha....I understand...so it's almost a 50/50 paraffin and soy candle .....almost.

So when you used just 6006 which is way more paraffin it didn't work for you because of just the wicking.  I still find that hard to believe even though I know you are right, but in my mind when you get to the widest part of the jar with whatever wicks you are using, it should really slow down that deep melt pool.....Well too, being I use the tureens also, what you are battling too is you have a neck on that jar which traps in the heat.  I so well know how difficult tureens are to wick.  Well good luck..Hey Forest, since you are double wicking...how far apart are the wicks from one another when you stick them in the jar?  That will make a big difference also I found out.

Trappeur

The wicks are one inch apart. This might help explain it. Notice how the flames are blowing sideways, the room is dead calm. This one is about 2/3 of the way burned and I just lit it. For the top third this candle was perfect and the flames stood straight up. As it got closer to the widest part of the container the flames created an air current. That hot air blows around and heats the wax, and the glass. I am hoping that by adding more soy to the bottom half it will slow the burn enough to keep a reasonable melt pool. At least this test should tell me that I'm on the right track or I should give up.

IMG_1694.thumb.jpg.2bbc8a89b464d536c35e750d4ecf28bc.jpg

They are very nicely wicked.  Actually what I should have asked is how much space is there between the metal tabs, not the distance from the wick stem to the other wick stem.   I mean when you attach the wicks to the glass to the metal wick tabs butt into one another?  If not, what amount of space do you have between the metal tabs?

Trappeur

I have never noticed any difference in HT depending on the current temp of the house.......my concerns came from WHERE I placed  the candle for testing and the draft effect.......if I'm running my A/C then burning a candle in my bedroom it should draft down the hallway to the living room where the A/C return is located.  If I'm running my evap cooler, then I can expect a good amount of the scent to be drafted out the bedroom window. (and yeah, going outside my bedroom window, I do smell the wonderful throw of the candle)

So, my understanding of HT is the scent that fills the room when the candle is burning with no influence from the actual room temp........since the HT comes from the melt pool around the wick, pls tell me how the room temp has anything to do with the throw???

I am totally open to learning something new,,,,,kwim?

7 hours ago, Pam W said:

I have never noticed any difference in HT depending on the current temp of the house.......my concerns came from WHERE I placed  the candle for testing and the draft effect.......if I'm running my A/C then burning a candle in my bedroom it should draft down the hallway to the living room where the A/C return is located.  If I'm running my evap cooler, then I can expect a good amount of the scent to be drafted out the bedroom window. (and yeah, going outside my bedroom window, I do smell the wonderful throw of the candle)

So, my understanding of HT is the scent that fills the room when the candle is burning with no influence from the actual room temp........since the HT comes from the melt pool around the wick, pls tell me how the room temp has anything to do with the throw???

I am totally open to learning something new,,,,,kwim?

This Thread is less about throw, and more about the actual burn. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 7:44 AM, Forrest said:

I have a dehumidifier and 80 is a comfortable temp. 

So apparently you don't have anyone in your house that has Hot Flashes. LOL!  I'd be flipp'n out in a house that hot. 😈

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laura C said:

So apparently you don't have anyone in your house that has Hot Flashes. LOL!  I'd be flipp'n out in a house that hot. 😈

Mercy me too!!!, 65* with a fan pointed directly on me is the only way I can sleep! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

Try living in a cabin that has no heating system.....Logs go in the wood stove in the winter and in the summer...ahhh....live in tank tops and hope for the best...

Trappeur

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Try living in a cabin that has no heating system.....Logs go in the wood stove in the winter and in the summer...ahhh....live in tank tops and hope for the best...

Trappeur

Awwh, I love cabins and wood stoves, that sounds nice. I'd be getting on it to get central Heat & Air installed. 😄