This container has me stumped

Im currently using a CD-20. I feel as if I need to go to a 22 because I am down near the bottom of the container and still struggling to get a decent FMP going.  You cant really tell from this angle, but if you look close enough on the opposite side near the label, there is still the wax hanging up on that side. The wick is perfectly centered, so thats not my issue. Its just not getting to a FULL FULL melt pool this far down. This picture is of the 2 hour mark after being lit.  So after 2 hours, this far down in the container, I should have a bigger melt pool I would think. Problem is, even with the current wick my temp readings are at 150* near the neck of the jar. I feel going up a wick size would only add to the heat reading.  Thoughts?

AXDOD3ul.jpg

Edited by Clear Black

Well to me, it looks pretty good.  And I see a full melt pool.  The walls of the jars are crystal clear where there is no wax what so ever on them.  Keep going to the end Clear Black.  A cd 22 is a big wick and I really don't think you need it.  How is the scent throwing?   Good?   What style jar and size is that?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Also agree. If I see a MP much deeper than that, I start thinking about wicking down. Even with a bit of hangup on one side, I would still consider that a full MP. That jar has shoulders? I think you're right to be concerned about too much heat building at the top.

The more I look at your picture Clear Black I'm almost inclined to think with the melt pool as it is, you might have to drop down to a cd 18 if that melt pool depth gets any deeper.    The melt pool looks pretty perfect to me at this point.   For my large quart 32oz canning jars I use a cd20.  They are 3 3/4" at the widest part of the jar.  But only you can decide upon that.  Just be on the lookout for black soot starting at the top of the container the lower it goes.  But you have I see that wick clipped to a nice height.   Then again the cd 20 just might be perfect for you.  Let us know what you decide on.  What jar is that and how wide is the widest part?  I am curious....what did you mean when you say your jar doesn't have a full full melt pool?  Are you talking about the depth?

Trappeur

I agree as well, that flame height isn't too small and the melt pool is great.  Hard to tell in the pic but looks like the jar narrows on top so as Trappeur said you may end up with sooting if you wick up.  Only way I'd wick up is if the flame kept going out while trying to burn that last portion.

It’s been cleaning the glass so far I don’t see an issue with it not continuously  doing so....I wouldn’t want the pool to be any deeper than that and wicking up could be problematic but there is only way to find out

have you tried one size down?

Maybe run a test with one down and one up and see what happens and power burn the size your using now to make sure it doesn’t get any deeper and hotter 

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

How diligemt have you been about trimming that wick?

if you do not trim, and light, is the MP deeper?

Yes the MP is much bigger but I am pretty dang dilligent on trimming the wick. I usually test in phases where I wont trim the wick like most customers unfortunately and then another phase where I trim it like it should be. Its always a bigger MP when not trimmed but also gets hotter naturally. 

9 hours ago, Trappeur said:

The more I look at your picture Clear Black I'm almost inclined to think with the melt pool as it is, you might have to drop down to a cd 18 if that melt pool depth gets any deeper.    The melt pool looks pretty perfect to me at this point.   For my large quart 32oz canning jars I use a cd20.  They are 3 3/4" at the widest part of the jar.  But only you can decide upon that.  Just be on the lookout for black soot starting at the top of the container the lower it goes.  But you have I see that wick clipped to a nice height.   Then again the cd 20 just might be perfect for you.  Let us know what you decide on.  What jar is that and how wide is the widest part?  I am curious....what did you mean when you say your jar doesn't have a full full melt pool?  Are you talking about the depth?

Trappeur

Hey Trap. The jar is basically a 16 oz mason type with a slight shoulder.  So standard wide-mouth opening for that type container.  What I meant by "full full MP" is that even though the wick is centered DEAD ON im still getting a deeper MP on one side vs the other. One side of the jar has about 1/4" deep MP and the opposite only an 1/8" deep MP.  There is maybe only about an inch of wax to be burned and I will be at the wick clip, so I was figuring the MP would be noticeably deeper at this stage of the container. Scent throw is about where it should be, but I would like a bit more of course, which is why I was questioning if it was getting a full enough pool to really throw the scent up.

I think I will stick to my CD-20 for now since after reading comments here I feel most are correct in assuming the CD-22 would be too hot and too much.

15 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Yes the MP is much bigger but I am pretty dang dilligent on trimming the wick. I usually test in phases where I wont trim the wick like most customers unfortunately and then another phase where I trim it like it should be. Its always a bigger MP when not trimmed but also gets hotter naturally. 

The reason I ask, if you don’t trim that wick, the burn will be much different. As little as 1/8“-1/4” longer starting wick makes a huge difference. If you burn that identical candle without trimming perfectly every single time how deep will that mp get? 

• Thanks 1

Learned this years ago from this board!  When my wick is secured I twist the wick several times then put it in wick clip.  I use the old straight ones with notch in middle so the wick doesn't untwist. As candle burns the wick will slowly untwist and you have an almost even melt all around.  Edited to add that the cd wicks curl to the side and that is where you will see difference but with the twisting it helps.

Edited by grama

4 hours ago, grama said:

Learned this years ago from this board!  When my wick is secured I twist the wick several times then put it in wick clip.  I use the old straight ones with notch in middle so the wick doesn't untwist. As candle burns the wick will slowly untwist and you have an almost even melt all around.  Edited to add that the cd wicks curl to the side and that is where you will see difference but with the twisting it helps.

I also do as Grama said...twisting the wick...it does help...

Trappeur

On 6/22/2018 at 11:00 AM, TallTayl said:

The reason I ask, if you don’t trim that wick, the burn will be much different. As little as 1/8“-1/4” longer starting wick makes a huge difference. If you burn that identical candle without trimming perfectly every single time how deep will that mp get? 

If I dont trim perfectly the mp gets about 1/2” deep rather than what you see in the photo. The side effect being that the untrimmed wick will begin to soot. Ive learned after this to be ok with the mp as long as its throwing the way it should

Ya know there are certain give and takes that I believe each one of us accepts.  I generally don't want a melt pool depth to go over 3/8" deep.....maybe, just maybe I'll go so far as to say even 1/2" depth but on certain jars,  but all else has to be taken into consideration like the most important thing being a safely made candle and then of course a clean burning and highly scented as best as I can candle.  For example, the 20oz tureen I make for a shop......

I use 2 cd7's.   Now I know the rule of thumb is to when burning a candle it should approximately be  to burn 1" per hour to get a melt pool across.  Well, when double wicking, you know the candle is going to burn much faster than a single wick jobby....in this jar I get a melt pool across the top faster on the 1'st and 2'nd burnings and it is much deeper than normal but I need those 2 wieks to get a melt pool across the widest section of that jar and it is going to even out by going with those wicks and then the melt pool depth decreases to about 3/8" deep...but it is ok...because #1:  I have a good throw....#2:  melt pool depth across and depth is very very nice and ##3:  This candle is not mad hot burning and I can very easily pickup that jar with no problem at all... I can power burn that candle for long hours and it is still very very much to my liking...So I think each of us has certain limitations of what we will accept and for me this is one jar that is. Trial and error is what it is all about.

Trappeur