How Long to Cure Paraffin for Test Burn?

I'm anxious to test burn my first two paraffin pillars, but I don't know how long to cure them before I do a test burn. How long should I let them set? Thanks for any help :)

I don't give my paraffin candles any cure time.....once they are cool and wicks can be inserted, I lite those babies.  I don't use soy basically because I am too impatient to wait for a cure time.

• Like 2

I hear you on the soy curing! I got impatient to smell the Raw Sugar Mandarin I got, and it's burning next to me right now....after about a 4 day cure, LOL! Eh, turns out this wick won't do it. Need to wick up. Sighhh. 

9 hours ago, Scented said:

See I've read give paraffin at least 24  hours for all to come back together ... which hey that's long enough to cool, wick and admire before putting fire to it. 

I’ve read that too, but discovered that not every paraffin is the same. Additives make a big difference. Much seems to depend on which paraffin blend. 4786, for instance, flared terribly in my early experiences. After a week or two the wicks seem more tame. I dismissed 4786 initially because the giant flares and sooting scared me silly. Pulled them out a month or so later while cleaning and the burn was beautiful. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, TallTayl said:

I’ve read that too, but discovered that not every paraffin is the same. Additives make a big difference. Much seems to depend on which paraffin blend. 4786, for instance, flared terribly in my early experiences. After a week or two the wicks seem more tame. I dismissed 4786 initially because the giant flares and sooting scared me silly. Pulled them out a month or so later while cleaning and the burn was beautiful. 

I think this is a good point about the difference in wax hardening. I don't use paraffin or soy anymore but I found with palm for example you don't want to test burn it until its at least 3 days old. Otherwise it melts way too quickly and gives you an entirely different burn then if you waited a few days.

• Like 1

I always wait at least 3-4 days to test my paraffin candles for wick/throw. Palm at least 4-5 days.

I feel the longer the wait, the better the burn, the truer results you will get, because in reality you are most likely not going to give/sell a candle within 24 hours, so you get a truer burn test by waiting, and know how the candle is going to burn in the real world. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 1:06 PM, Jcandleattic said:

I always wait at least 3-4 days to test my paraffin candles for wick/throw. Palm at least 4-5 days.

I feel the longer the wait, the better the burn, the truer results you will get, because in reality you are most likely not going to give/sell a candle within 24 hours, so you get a truer burn test by waiting, and know how the candle is going to burn in the real world. 

Yeah, waiting a little while does give you a better result but some of us just can't wait that long.  I tend to burn my candles as soon as they are set.........knowing that a later burn will give a better result.  Since I don't sell, I just can't wait to see what I have created and go from there.  Yeah, I have a need to know now

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pam W said:

Yeah, waiting a little while does give you a better result but some of us just can't wait that long. 

I feel if you can't wait, you need to change your method of making product. 

I would rather have the best product I can out on the market than trying to rush the process. 

Ohh, oops just saw that you don't sell. If you are not selling, or giving to testers, then that's a completely different story... 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:00 PM, Tokoo said:

I usually wait around 2 days as well, even though I use IGI 6006 which is usually set around 24hrs, just to be on the save side. Plus I don't mind 2 days compared to 2 weeks for Soy. 

I was actually curious about this. I just started testing 6006 and was unsure how long to let them cure. I've heard everything from 24hrs to two weeks. 

15 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I was actually curious about this. I just started testing 6006 and was unsure how long to let them cure. I've heard everything from 24hrs to two weeks. 

Personally, I give the parasoy one week to be on the safe side, and I have had excellent results.

• Thanks 1