Considering Making Budget Candles? Any Thoughts?

I am considering becoming a budget candle maker; 

By *NOT using any dies to keep cost down; ALL 

My candles will be Simply:

1.) White Wax of my Choice

2.) Fragrance Oil

3.) Wicks (and) Tabs

(and) That's IT!!!

Less Cost for me; equals 

more profit for me; and cheaper 

more affordable candles for the customer!

Do any of you fellow candle maker's have any 

Thoughts on this concept?

Containers and fragrance are my top costs. Followed closely by the wax. Dye is inconsequential to my candles.

From a marketing perspective often I see the most expensive candles on the shelf are uncolored. 

My bigger question is what is the reasoning behind wanting to do a budget candle? At one point in time I had thought about cutting my soap in half and doing a budget soap. But then I realized it’s not the product that was wrong it was the placement. When I found my market everything came together.

• Like 2

I think that's what a good majority of us are doing as far as cost goes.   The fragrance oil, jars and shipping charges make it almost impossible to even wholesale candles anymore at a decent % off.  No profit = no business so I need to make enough to keep it going.  Now if you can pick up all your supplies, pay no shipping charges and get a good price on jars, wax and fo, you might just be able to sell at a lower cost.  I try to keep with what my area's artisans are charging in general and not undercut anyone.  That goes for any craft I make, not just candles/melts.

• Like 1

No matter how hard you try you will never make cheap candles like the ones made in China and sold here for a buck or two. Personally I don't save money cutting quality so I look for ways to trim down my overall costs in what ways I can. Sometimes its making fewer scent selections, or finding a better price on jars, or shopping FO sales, etc. As long as I don't cut quality.

• Like 1

I personally prefer the more simplistic things. My purpose of a candle is to illuminate and/or scent the area. The added flair generally is a huge turn off for me as a consumer. One reason is I see it as added unnecessary garbage which adds to the landfill. Another is I'm aware this excess is generally added in to the cost which I'm paying too. I can't say that I recall ever buying a candle due to the color. I wouldn't market them as a budget candle but maybe the wording minimlist is a more inviting term. Really it depends on your intended market and although I always feel you should follow your heart and passion the market makes or breaks you. In these cases just make sure you can find your market. 

• Like 1

The dollar store and Walmart have the market cornered on budget candles. You can't compete with their prices and budget minded consumers won't spend what it costs to make your candle. I've seen many failures attempting the budget market. Hand crafted products aren't budget friendly.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Flicker said:

The dollar store and Walmart have the market cornered on budget candles. You can't compete with their prices and budget minded consumers won't spend what it costs to make your candle. I've seen many failures attempting the budget market. Hand crafted products aren't budget friendly.

LOL this! It was what I was trying to say but it came out all wonky. You can't compete with those large chains that sell candles for insanely low prices.

Honestly I think customers that shop for our candles do so because they are wanting a good handmade product and willing to pay the price for handcrafted. So I don't think about making budget candles per se, but look for ways to stay on budget or cut costs when purchasing supplies for candlemaking. HTH

• Like 2