PSA - test all your fragrances for a while

23 hours ago, Lighten Up said:

First let me say how much I love CS, love, love, love!! That being said, I had my own recent encounter with their customer service, the woman was super nice, but not terribly helpful. We went round and round for a while, and I ended up going around her and solved my own problem. Thankfully, I kept at it or I would be s*** of luck. Makes me wonder how really how much that person knows or is willing to actually find out. I actually gave her info she didn't have. I'm not saying it was her fault, maybe just poor communication all around. So, if you want info, be persistent.

I also would like to say that any suppliers out there(do they watch the boards?), could lose all credibility over this reformulation issue, I don't want to believe that they'd risk it. I do not keep 'all my eggs in one basket'. Yes, it would hurt to eliminate a favorite, long-term supplier, but I will have no problem washing my hands of them. As the saying goes - screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.

I told the person I was emailing with to come on this board and read all issues and complaints - I am still going back and forth with them by email 

I was told some of the people there have small candle and bath and body business and... no issues for them 🤷‍♀️ But she understands how frustrating that could be 

I just wish that they could be honest and own it or find useful information for us, you can read the very careful wording with the promise of looking into it but I was promised this back in the summer when I realized something was terrible wrong with the wax and got nothing 

we can't all be crazy and imagining this- right 

They have been a great supplier for me, I'm just not liking how this is all being swept under the rug 

Edited by moonshine

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, moonshine said:

I told the person I was emailing with to come on this board and read all issues and complaints - I am still going back and forth with them by email 

I was told some of the people there have small candle and bath and body business and... no issues for them 🤷‍♀️ But she understands how frustrating that could be 

I just wish that they could be honest and own it or find useful information for us, you can read the very careful wording with the promise of looking into it but I was promised this back in the summer when I realized something was terrible wrong with the wax and got nothing 

we can't all be crazy and imagining this- right 

They have been a great supplier for me, I'm just not liking how this is all being swept under the rug 

A little honesty goes a long way. Just be straight with what we're dealing with, so we can figure out what we need to do. Too much to ask?

• Thanks 1

Pure Fragrance OIls statement:

Industry Shortage of Ingredients - Critical!!!
Hello Everyone,
We sent out a newsletter a few weeks ago, but apparently some of you did not receive it.  So, we are sending you this to notify you of some of the changes in our industry.

Due to a disastrous warehouse fire at a critical manufacturer, our industry is experiencing a shortage of multiple critical ingredients used in the formulations of many fragrances.  We received notice that the issue should be resolved April/May 2018; however, there is no guarantee at this moment.

What this means is that some of our fragrances are affected.  We have only had 2 fragrances reformulated with great success; however, we can't guarantee they will all be reformulated correctly.  Therefore, we urge you to place your order immediately if you want to take advantage of our current inventory that was purchased before the fire.  These fragrances are the original formulas and have not been changed.  Once we run out of them, some of them will have to be reformulated & tested, which will take some time.  We will not compromise the quality of the fragrances we provide. 

The fragrances that can't be reformulated will show out of stock and may have to be discontinued all together depending on what happens at the plant.  Please understand that this situation is out of our control and has affected our entire industry.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 909.354.8839. We appreciate you for your continued support and patience during this time.    

The Pure Fragrance Oils Team

Email from Cierra:

CierraCandles.com Candle and Soap Making Supplies

Statement on BASF Force Majeure - Fragrances Affected

As you may know, in October of last year, a fire occurred in BASF’s Citral production unit.  There were no injuries but the factory suffered severe damages.  BASF is a supplier of the synthetic ingredient, Citral that is used in many fragrances.

Cierra uses nine different fragrance manufacturers to supply us with our fragrances.  The fragrance companies most affected appear to be Agilex and French.  While we do purchase some fragrances from both of these companies, the majority of our fragrances have not been affected, or we have enough inventory to meet the need of our customers until BASF is back up and running.  There are a few fragrances that are affected and they are listed below.  We are in the process of having a few fragrances re-formulated as they are good sellers for us.  Those are listed with an asterisk.  We will be noting the reformulation as well as any soaping/candle testing notes on our website and on the labels on the bottles for those fragrances.

BASF hopes to be back in production by the end of March so we are hopeful that this will have very limited effect on our customers.

Fragrances affected are:
*Apple Jack
Claire Burke
Juicy Peach
Macintosh Apple
*Pearberry
*Rain Shower
*Twilight Woods

Edited by Kerven

On 1/14/2018 at 5:15 AM, Moonstar said:

What about Filmore container

Does anyone know if they've posted anything about their 

FO's being affected? 

Good morning everyone,

I just called Fillmore to see where they stood on the FO issue. At this time they have not changed anything and I was told if any reformulating happens they will make it very visible on their web site. I just ordered and received 12 pounds of FO from them yesterday so should be good for awhile. I have been ordering extra on lots of floral and citrus to stock up so hopefully it won't be an issue for me. I will have enough FO to last me for the next 10 years. I wonder if this will effect Lebermuth or is that where we will have to go to if everyone else runs out. 

Karen in MA

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 3:33 PM, Scented said:

No signs of notifications on Flaming's site that I could see, but Aztec is notifying by fragrance ... not a one-time note, but if you click on the scent they tell you what's going down. 

Just a heads up for Flaming they should not be affected. We use the same manufacturer that they do and when speaking to the owners at a trade show this month it was the first thing I asked about. He said they stockpile a 6 month supply of their aromaticchemicals and do not suspect they will be impacted. He said there is a slight possibility it there might be some out of stocks for a short period at the end of the 6 months but they are in no way reformulating any products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LitUp said:

Just a heads up for Flaming they should not be affected. We use the same manufacturer that they do and when speaking to the owners at a trade show this month it was the first thing I asked about. He said they stockpile a 6 month supply of their aromaticchemicals and do not suspect they will be impacted. He said there is a slight possibility it there might be some out of stocks for a short period at the end of the 6 months but they are in no way reformulating any products.

I figured most suppliers had/have a good stock. I have seen where some don't. It bites that the notifications come at the end of the year around inventory time when we want to be low on what we have lol. 

Edited by Scented

On 1/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, LitUp said:

is this for flaming candle ??

• 2 weeks later...