Spray painting glass?

So I wasn't sure where to place this post. 

I'm wondering about spray painting or hand painting my candle jars. 

If i spray paint or hand paint a glass jar, am I able to pour my candles and burn them inside?

The paint will be on the outside of the jar. 

I am curious if it will make the paint drip off after If I use a primer?

thank you all so much. You're all so helpful

Edited by Venetti

I've seen loads of well made painted containers. The success of the project would rely on the type of paint chosen for the candle jar material. 

If your candle is wicked well, it should not ever get hot enough to ruin a well made painted jar. After all, paper labels survive candles. I used to use alcohol paints on tins and they were fine. (The alcohol was the medium for the dye and fully evaporated when the paint dried). I stopped alcohol painting only because the venue where I sold them was soggy with all kinds of alcohol soaked hands 😂 Every time someone handled my candles with beer or wine soaked fingers the paint would smear.... waterproof labels saved my sanity. 

In the end, test, test and test again to make sure your project can survive through the life of the candle. There are some truly gorgeous paints available now. I LOVE frosted glass, and there's a paint for that. Chalk paint, yup a paint for that. 

• Thanks 1

There's a frosted glass paint? Is it a spray paint?

I must know.

Would a spray on sealant work with the alcohol inks? I've been thinking about using the alcohol inks to stamp glass with a logo but I know how easily they wipe away. Maybe a clear enamel like those used on wine glasses?

1 hour ago, Kerven said:

There's a frosted glass paint? Is it a spray paint?

I must know.

Would a spray on sealant work with the alcohol inks? I've been thinking about using the alcohol inks to stamp glass with a logo but I know how easily they wipe away. Maybe a clear enamel like those used on wine glasses?

YES! I frosted a pane of glass for the bathroom vanity. I used rustoleum brand. Start to finish was a minute or two. 

As for sealant on alcohol paint, it might work. Sure worth a try. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, birdcharm said:

There are also several different types in this catalog ... the one shown on that link is a spray.

Walmart carries both brands. I checked Amazon for reviews on them - for whatever reason krylon did not score as well. I did not try them Side by side to compare. That link is stained glass paint. Not sure what it finishes like, but the  color palette looks great  for a range of candles! 

I picked up two cans of the frosted glass spray paint about a month ago. I got them from a bargain store for about $1.50 a pc. They worked beautifully but couldn't be reused. 

What I mean by this is after using them for candle making, I cleaned them out. The spray paint rubbed off partially. I'm sure some mod podge or sealant spray would solve this problem. I also read after I had sprayed mine that sanding the glass slightly makes it stay better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I spray paint all my candle jars with Rustoleum 2X spray paint.  No primer, no sealer; and the paint lasts through multiple dishwashing cycles as well as power burns while testing.  I do get some crackling sometimes, but it just adds to the look.  That can be avoided though.  

I have also tried frost spray paint, but it did come off in the dishwasher in spots.  You might be able to use a matte clear spray and get a frosted look that will stick.  Most of the spray paint companies have a matte spray.

GoldieMN

• Thanks 1