Question about test burns and wax.

Yes, you can remelt them but I have to ask:  how long did you test-burn?  When test burning ''jars'' you will not get a full melt pool on the first burn but as the candles burns further down on subsequent burns you will see a difference.  Patience is the key to container candles so if you can give us a little more info on your test burns, we'll be able to help trouble shoot.

• Like 1

@amy91, that's what I do. If you have one of those candle warmers you could use that I suppose.

Sometimes what I will do if it's a new container that I'm testing or a new FO that I'm really unsure about, is I will pour the wax into the container with no wick. Then I cut the appropriate length of wick I want to try off of the tab, stick a hole in my wax with a skewer, and stick my tabless wick in the hole. I totally stole that idea off this forum. 😁

That way if the wick is way off, I can just pull it out and stick in a different one.  The wick will fall over once you get to about 2" from the bottom, but it's great to establish a starting point for wicking without wasting a whole candle. I'll also just pour 1/2 the container to save on supplies. Once I feel like I've got a good wick, I'll pour the full candle with the intact wick assembly and start on the serious test burns.

Its been a lifesaver, I'm still fairly new to candles myself, and I can be way off with my wicking sometimes just from lack of exposure to different fragrances and how they affect a burn.

That was probably more answer than you wanted, lol!!

• Like 1

@Sarah S I out loud "BRILLIANT!" I mean seriously, never ever would have thought of that, so simple yet so extremely helpful.  I am just starting out and trying to stick to HTP wicks and naturewax c3. I had no clue initially just how hard this whole process is, I sense lots of rewicking in my future, so you have been more than helpful!

15 hours ago, amy91 said:

@Sarah S I out loud "BRILLIANT!" I mean seriously, never ever would have thought of that, so simple yet so extremely helpful.  I am just starting out and trying to stick to HTP wicks and naturewax c3. I had no clue initially just how hard this whole process is, I sense lots of rewicking in my future, so you have been more than helpful!

I got that tip from the other wonderful members here, and it has truly been a life saver for me!

Did you see TT's comment above about C3 and HTPs? And it might be useful to check out the threads in the veggie wax sub forum about the changes to soy wax, it's my understanding that it is even more difficult to wick this year. I have been following the conversations, and am truly grateful I use paraffin, lol. 😁

@Sarah S Gonna go check that ALL out right now. Anything and everything on the topic is helpful to me, I am trying so hard to self educate lol. I know I am getting closer and closer. ;) I did the skewer wick with my two new batches I am testing, it is also amazing because you can double use the wick. Woohoo saving pennies.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, TallTayl said:

C3 tends to love cd and rrd wicks in my containers. 

Are CDN and CD relatively the same? I keep reading great things about these wicks, I will be looking into getting some shortly. I seem to be having luck so far with the HTP's, but it would be interesting to see the difference amongst brands.

16 hours ago, Venetti said:

Please do!

I use a lot of zinc wicks.  I do find them challenging with heavy scents in containers 3+".  When a 51z or 60z doesn't work, I go to CD's next.  They are hotter and will get the job done.  I use CD 16 or 18 in status jars which are basically the same size as your containers.  A lot of 6006 users prefer CD wicks, and I would definitely recommend you give them a try.  The Flaming Candle is where I buy mine.  They sell sample packs and small (dozen, I believe) packs and they will ship via USPS, so it would be very inexpensive to give them a shot.

Edited by bfroberts
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2017 at 7:12 PM, bfroberts said:

Yes, I've done it a zillion times.  I use a lot of 6006 and could offer some wick suggestions if you'd like.  

I'm getting ready to do my first 6006 batch soon with 4" diameter glass jars, going to be using 10% FO, can you suggest a few wicks?

On 10/30/2017 at 3:05 PM, Sarah S said:

@amy91, that's what I do. If you have one of those candle warmers you could use that I suppose.

Sometimes what I will do if it's a new container that I'm testing or a new FO that I'm really unsure about, is I will pour the wax into the container with no wick. Then I cut the appropriate length of wick I want to try off of the tab, stick a hole in my wax with a skewer, and stick my tabless wick in the hole. I totally stole that idea off this forum. 😁

That way if the wick is way off, I can just pull it out and stick in a different one.  The wick will fall over once you get to about 2" from the bottom, but it's great to establish a starting point for wicking without wasting a whole candle. I'll also just pour 1/2 the container to save on supplies. Once I feel like I've got a good wick, I'll pour the full candle with the intact wick assembly and start on the serious test burns.

Its been a lifesaver, I'm still fairly new to candles myself, and I can be way off with my wicking sometimes just from lack of exposure to different fragrances and how they affect a burn.

That was probably more answer than you wanted, lol!!

Thanks!!! I saw that info on an earlier post somewhere, but they didn't go into detail about how it was done.  You spelled it out for us, and I am going to use this method now.  Using my method, I have enough firestarters for a couple of years lol..!!!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jguff330 said:

I'm getting ready to do my first 6006 batch soon with 4" diameter glass jars, going to be using 10% FO, can you suggest a few wicks?

I've never had much luck single wicking larger containers with 6006.  I did a nice series of apothecary jars with 6006 last year, and they are about 4" in diameter.  I ended up double wicking those with zinc wicks.  Most of my scents did very well with 2 36-24-24 wicks.  Heavy scents may require 2 44-24-18.   I never had to use anything larger than that, but I only did about a dozen scents.   I used 6%-7% FO and liquid dye.  I think 10% FO would be problematic.

12 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Thanks!!! I saw that info on an earlier post somewhere, but they didn't go into detail about how it was done.  You spelled it out for us, and I am going to use this method now.  Using my method, I have enough firestarters for a couple of years lol..!!!

You better get going selling those firestarters Gary!......lol.....They will sell!

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Especially up in that cold north, eh?

😆

Haha..it is cold up here....  I tried amy's, or previous posters idea of pouring a candle with no wick, making a hole with the skewer, then testing different wicks. I wasn't sure if it would work, so I tried it today with an old mason jar full of used wax that I collect to make firestarters. Poked a hole down the middle with a wooden skewer, and have tried a couple of wicks already.  Worked great!! Its actually burning pretty good...its a mixture probably of about 4 different waxes (no idea what they are lol)...multiple scents...different colours.  The only thing I know for sure is the 2 wicks i have tried in it..lol.  And I can tell you...it is well cured!!!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gary in Canada said:

Haha..it is cold up here....  I tried amy's, or previous posters idea of pouring a candle with no wick, making a hole with the skewer, then testing different wicks. I wasn't sure if it would work, so I tried it today with an old mason jar full of used wax that I collect to make firestarters. Poked a hole down the middle with a wooden skewer, and have tried a couple of wicks already.  Worked great!! Its actually burning pretty good...its a mixture probably of about 4 different waxes (no idea what they are lol)...multiple scents...different colours.  The only thing I know for sure is the 2 wicks i have tried in it..lol.  And I can tell you...it is well cured!!!  

I live in Maryland, we've been enjoying 70 degree weather for the past few weeks. This week it dropped down to the 49s and 50s... Every winter I remember why I moved from New England, lol!!! 

I'm glad that trick worked for you! Let's hope no one in your household falls in love with your mystery candle, you'll never be able to replicate it! 😆

46 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I live in Maryland, we've been enjoying 70 degree weather for the past few weeks. This week it dropped down to the 49s and 50s... Every winter I remember why I moved from New England, lol!!! 

I'm glad that trick worked for you! Let's hope no one in your household falls in love with your mystery candle, you'll never be able to replicate it! 😆

lol Sarah, yep I did that one time and used up a bunch of pine scents and everyone wanted more and I could never duplicate it.....

Trappeur

• Haha 1