So what is Snickerdoodle supposed to smell like anyway?

GailC

I just got some Snickerdoodle from Candlescience. I was thinking something vanilla and buttery and a little cinnamon.  But it smells so much like Pumpkin Pecan Waffle to me.  My friend thought so too.  I don't smell even a smidgen of cinnamon OOB.

I don't think I've made Snickerdoodle cookies since Home Ec in high school.

I looked up Snickerdoodle here and someone said hers smelled like maple butter cookies...someone else, Belinda I think, said hers from Candlewic smelled like tea.

How does Snickerdoodle smell to you?

As a New Englander who grew up eating and making snickerdoodles, they are a simple, kind of bland butter/flour cookie with cinnamon and sugar. Dreamy with coffee on cold days.

I bought a sample of that last season. Just smelled it. I get butter cookie OOB, but nothing else. Must not have loved it back then either since I never put it into anything. I should, though. It needs some cinnamon bark or something.

• Like 1

I agree with TallTayl, it needs something like some cinnamon and maybe a little something sweet.

I defiantly  think the one from CW smells like tea. I have a full bottle of it and don't care for it at all. The one from JS smells like maple cookies and I call it Maple Cream cookies. I don't think you're supposed to smell maple in a snickerdoodle but hers smells delicious to me. I think the one from WSP smells sort of like a snickerdoodle but it needs a little work too. It's on the same line as CW's and needs to have cinnamon added to it. When I think of snickerdoodle cookies, I think of just a sugar cookie sprinkled with cinnamon.

I could be wrong but that's what my perception of a snickerdoodle is. 

• Like 1

I remember them being something of a hybrid between a shortbread and a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Sometimes with crushed pecans.

I've had a small amount of Snickerdoodle from CS for about a year. It never struck me as an authentic snickerdoodle scent. I get more of a toasted buttery scent - like the browned edges of a cookie - with little sweetness (not completely absent) and no cinnamon or vanilla. I thought it would make a nice blender, so I tried it with CS Lemon Pound Cake for a more "toasty" pound cake or lemon cookie. Turned out nice but needs tweaking.

• Like 1

I want a Snickerdoodle cookie now with a cup of coffee.  

I will definitely mix a little cinnamon with the FO, because I know people associate cinnamon with Snickerdoodle.

@Belinda I like a lot of Candlewic's FO's and prices, but there's no way I would pay $33 a pound for Snickerdoodle.  I keep wondering if that price is wrong, compared to the prices of their other FO's.  Of course, their prices are all over the place for 16 ounce bottles.

1 hour ago, GailC said:

I want a Snickerdoodle cookie now with a cup of coffee.  

I will definitely mix a little cinnamon with the FO, because I know people associate cinnamon with Snickerdoodle.

@Belinda I like a lot of Candlewic's FO's and prices, but there's no way I would pay $33 a pound for Snickerdoodle.  I keep wondering if that price is wrong, compared to the prices of their other FO's.  Of course, their prices are all over the place for 16 ounce bottles.

Oh wow! I don't think I paid that much for it but it's been awhile since I bought theirs. I actually like the one from WSP better and it's cheaper. It's on the same line as the one from CW but has a little more cinnamon smell to it to my nose. There are a people on here that love the one from CW though. I just can't get past the tea smell. I added some sugar cookie and cinnamon to the bottle but it's still not enough to make it smell like it should. I guess I need to play around with it and maybe use it up. Can't get rid of it since I've already added to it LOL!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Oh wow! I don't think I paid that much for it but it's been awhile since I bought theirs. I actually like the one from WSP better and it's cheaper. It's on the same line as the one from CW but has a little more cinnamon smell to it to my nose. There are a people on here that love the one from CW though. I just can't get past the tea smell. I added some sugar cookie and cinnamon to the bottle but it's still not enough to make it smell like it should. I guess I need to play around with it and maybe use it up. Can't get rid of it since I've already added to it LOL!

I've found out if I just don't like a fragrance I can play around with it all I want, but I'm already prejudiced against it, so it never smells good....or else it just languishes on the shelf because I keep it even though I don't like it.

I would like to play around with NG's Guardian Angel sometime....just don't like the fragrance but maybe vanilla would help. Or mint...or something!  And NG's Sandalwood....ewww.  

2 minutes ago, GailC said:

I've found out if I just don't like a fragrance I can play around with it all I want, but I'm already prejudiced against it, so it never smells good....or else it just languishes on the shelf because I keep it even though I don't like it.

I would like to play around with NG's Guardian Angel sometime....just don't like the fragrance but maybe vanilla would help. Or mint...or something!  And NG's Sandalwood....ewww.  

I've never tried those two. I'm not very good at blending much of anything except with leather, which isn't my choice of fragrances but I sell more of that one and the blends with it than any I've ever bought! I just shake my head at it LOL! Texans! 

8 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I've never tried those two. I'm not very good at blending much of anything except with leather, which isn't my choice of fragrances but I sell more of that one and the blends with it than any I've ever bought! I just shake my head at it LOL! Texans! 

Take my advice and just stay away from both of them.  I've never had a request for leather here in Central Indiana.  

I got some delicious smelling lotion as a gift from Bath & Body Works.  It was Lavender & Spring Apricot.  I have Apricot and Lavender FO's and did the Q-tip blend and lo and behold it does smell a  lot like the lotion....just not quite as sweet.  So I am going to try that blend...may have to wait until Spring though.

• Like 1

Well I live in Virginia and the snickerdoodle cookies we get around here smell and taste like buttery sugar cookies sprinkled with cinnamon. Its the cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top just before you bake it that gives it its unique taste. That's because it carmelizes as it bakes so you get this faint whiff of caramel along with the distinct cinnamon sugar crunch top as you bite into it.

The snickerdoodle cookies here are large round cookies with a slight outer crunch and inner softness of sugar cookies made with a combo of butter and shortening.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Seems to me you would need a combo of the butteriest smelling sugar cookie mixed with notes of cinnamon and caramel. I think I would go with cinnamon red hots for the extra sweetness instead of cinnamon stick. If you have a slightly toasty caramel as opposed to soft caramel candy I also think that would do the trick.

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Seems to me you would need a combo of the butteriest smelling sugar cookie mixed with notes of cinnamon and caramel. I think I would go with cinnamon red hots for the extra sweetness instead of cinnamon stick. If you have a slightly toasty caramel as opposed to soft caramel candy I also think that would do the trick.

I do have a sample of Cinnamon Red Hots as well as Cinnamon broom.  I want to use the 16 oz bottle of Snickerdoodle FO I got from CS and according to the description it does have 'top notes of sugar, cinnamon, caramel, and creamy butter.  Maybe I will smell the cinnamon more when I put it in wax.  At any rate I'll probably add some cinnamon.

With all this talk of Snickerdoodle cookies, I looked in the refrigerator section of Walmart, but they didn't have any snickerdoodle cookie dough.  But I did find the next best thing in the aisle with the cake mixes.  A package of Snickerdoodle cookie mix.  I know, I should have made some from scratch, but this way is easier, just add egg and butter I think.  Maybe I'll sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.  

• Like 1

I think I'll get my bottle of snicker doodle out and play around with it again. The scent to me isn't that appealing at all so if I add some sugar cookie and cinnamon red hots and maybe a little caramel it might take on a better note and smell more like a snicker doodle. I absolutely love the snicker doodle from JS but it smells more like a maple cookie to me. I don't pick up any cinnamon at all, just heavy maple but it smells good and sweet to me.

• Like 1

Bought a Snickerdoodle cookies from NG and OOB smells just like the description... fresh baked aroma of French vanilla with a touch of cinnamon sticks, gingerbread, and maple syrup.

Haven't used it yet, but my daughter loves it and says it's the best so far.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2017 at 11:09 AM, LivInTX said:

Bought a Snickerdoodle cookies from NG and OOB smells just like the description... fresh baked aroma of French vanilla with a touch of cinnamon sticks, gingerbread, and maple syrup.

Haven't used it yet, but my daughter loves it and says it's the best so far.

Sounds great! Please let us know how you like it.

On 8/30/2017 at 4:20 PM, GailC said:

I just got some Snickerdoodle from Candlescience. I was thinking something vanilla and buttery and a little cinnamon.  But it smells so much like Pumpkin Pecan Waffle to me.  My friend thought so too.  I don't smell even a smidgen of cinnamon OOB.

I don't think I've made Snickerdoodle cookies since Home Ec in high school.

I looked up Snickerdoodle here and someone said hers smelled like maple butter cookies...someone else, Belinda I think, said hers from Candlewic smelled like tea.

How does Snickerdoodle smell to you?

Funny you should say that it is so much like PPW as when I got that oil in, I thought the same exact thing but being that is 1 of 3 most favorite scents I just love, it didn't matter to me.  I just poured just yesterday some candles in it.

As to what is Snickerdoodle supposed to smell like?  Well, first thing that comes to mind is a Snickers candy bar....an ooey gooey rich caramel scent.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Forgot to put in post just made is I just got an 8oz bottle of one of CS new fragrances called Pumpkin Caramel Crunch.    Just made a couple candles in it.  Am loving this scent....similar to PPW also not quite, but close and different.  CS whenever they come out with new fragrances you can be sure that they are going to be some awesome winners.  I find CS to produce luscious serious scents.....they to me are a class act when it comes to candle fragrances.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Okay I work with an award winning cookie vendor at my farmer's market. So I picked up one of his snickerdoodle cookies Saturday during market and took a long sniff. I told him about this discussion thread so he knew why I did that. LOL Anyway, we got to talking about snickerdoodle cookies and what went into it. His snickerdoodles won a blue ribbon at the county fair so you know they are delicious.

I was surprized that I picked up a stronger carmalized note, then cinnamon, then butter, then sugar cookie, in that order. It's definitely a carmalized scent not caramel. There is a difference.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

That sounds delicious! I'm glad you posted this! 

This is how JS describes her Snicker Doodle FO.  " Rich and yummy!  Caramelized creamy maple notes with rich, sweet butter followed by scrumptious French vanilla, cinnamon and sweet sugary crystals". Kind of similar to what you're describing.

All I get is a sweet maple from hers that smells delicious. I don't pick up any cinnamon but some others might. It's a good scent to me though! Maybe not as far off as I thought from being a Snicker Doodle scent.

I think I'll have to add a little sweetness and cinnamon to Candle Wic's Snicker Doodle and see how that goes. I haven't done it yet but it's just sitting there and I don't like it by itself for sure. 

Now I want some cookies and coffee LOL!