Peak Replacement testing results

kfintoni

On 7/31/2017 at 6:27 PM, TallTayl said:

i wish I liked their other scents enough to give the dupes a try, I really need some Rose bouquet. Might need to dupe it with my lab ?

AUTUMN WALK :) !!

OCEAN!! Your Version of Ocean would probably be awesome!

Edited by maryta

On 8/1/2017 at 11:50 PM, kfintoni said:

They are not being duped just for me. He asked people what they would like duped and of course many spoke up. Of course I did not have samples of what I was looking to be duped specifically but if my samples help someone else out then all is good. I do believe he said on Facebook that some samples have already been sent out to be duped. He has not said how many he plans on carrying at this time.

Karen in MA

Which scents are you looking for?

1 hour ago, coconut said:

Which scents are you looking for?

The specific scents I need are Almond Pastry, Holiday Sparkle, Winter Wonderland, Old Towne Bake Shoppe, Grandmas Swinging Egg Nog and Cookies for Santa. All the rest of Peaks scents that I used I can probably get else where but these are the main ones I am on the hunt for.

Karen in MA

Hi everyone:), I am brand new to this forum.

And I just finally figured out why I could not order from Peak!! I am devastated! I understand, but don't think the dependency of hundreds of micro family business was taken in account for ten years of loyalty! So I too, am scrambling to find replacements or their sources.

They were NOT perfumers, so somewhere out there are their supply houses, just a matter of us finding out which ones. This is my second MAJOR supplier just closing out on us with zero notice this summer. It is crippling! And we are financially feeling the effects. 

I have searched for common names and found these two suppliers I know nothing about.

One has a bad rep on FB, but many of Peaks names pop up so maybe worth a shot:

http://www.theflamingcandle.com/candle-fragrance-oil-a-z/?sort=featured&page=1 this is the one that has a ton of the exact same scent names. 

Anyone know about this company?

And this one: http://www.justscent.com/contact-us.html

I am also about to call a major formulator in the industry and sometimes she can point me in the right direction for a supplier, so fingers crossed, I will report back what I can find!!

I need so many scents but have taken inventory of what I am desperate for and have zero left of: Caramel Apple I need next month. Holiday Sparkle and Winter Wonderland, Cinnamon and Balsam, Fraiser Fir I need for up coming winter. 

4 hours ago, Moona13 said:

And I just finally figured out why I could not order from Peak!! I am devastated! I understand, but don't think the dependency of hundreds of micro family business was taken in account for ten years of loyalty! So I too, am scrambling to find replacements or their sources.

They were NOT perfumers, so somewhere out there are their supply houses, just a matter of us finding out which ones. This is my second MAJOR supplier just closing out on us with zero notice this summer. It is crippling! And we are financially feeling the effects. 

I have searched for common names and found these two suppliers I know nothing about.

http://www.theflamingcandle.com/candle-fragrance-oil-a-z/?sort=featured&page=1 this is the one that has a ton of the exact same scent names. 

I am also about to call a major formulator in the industry and sometimes she can point me in the right direction for a supplier, so fingers crossed, I will report back what I can find!!

I need so many scents but have taken inventory of what I am desperate for and have zero left of: Caramel Apple I need next month. Holiday Sparkle and Winter Wonderland, Cinnamon and Balsam, Fraiser Fir I need for up coming winter. 

The Frasier Fir I get is from CS, very strong and a super thrower in my products.

4 hours ago, Moona13 said:

kfintoni- I think I have some of all of the scents you are looking for, do they need to be sent somewhere for duping? 

Charlie Libengood at Maple Street Candle is having many of the Peak scents duped. Check out his post on his Facebook page.

Karen in MA

So I got 3 orders today with some scents to test as replacements. So far I am not doing to good. I will say that as a few have already said Almond Creme from RE is very similar to Almond Pastry OOB. The birthday cake from RE was good and actually similar to Cookies for Santa but the oil itself is very dark. I also got birthday cake from The Chemistry Store and it smells similar OOB but I am unsure if it is as dark in color as the RE one. So far none of the holiday scents are even close to Winter Wonderland or Holiday sparkle almost all of the scents I have tried all have a heavy note of what seems like eucalyptus even though not listed in the description.

Karen in MA

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The Frasier Fir I get is from CS, very strong and a super thrower in my products.

It sure is great and strong.  Frasier Fir from CS and WSP are the same.....They are pretty much and excellent dupe to the  "Thymes Frasier Fie".  You won't be disappointed.

Trappeur

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kfintoni said:

The specific scents I need are Almond Pastry, Holiday Sparkle, Winter Wonderland, Old Towne Bake Shoppe, Grandmas Swinging Egg Nog and Cookies for Santa. All the rest of Peaks scents that I used I can probably get else where but these are the main ones I am on the hunt for.

Karen in MA

I think I have about half a 4 oz. Bottle of Grandmas Swingin Eggnog. If that helps you, send me a pm. Not much but maybe enough to dupe?

18 hours ago, Moona13 said:

I also have a ton of 1 oz unused Peak sample bottles. What is the best use for them now? 

Mix them! I never use straight out of the bottle scents (at least not very often) I always use a mix of some sort, and what I do with little 1 oz bottles that have no other use .. 

18 hours ago, Moona13 said:

Many people use and love JS, however, I am not one of them. a few years ago, I got a ton of samples from them and I would have to say that probably 3 out of the 25 or so actually worked for me, and that's just not a good enough ratio for me to keep buying to figure out they are if they are duds in my application. 

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Mix them! I never use straight out of the bottle scents (at least not very often) I always use a mix of some sort, and what I do with little 1 oz bottles that have no other use .. 

Many people use and love JS, however, I am not one of them. a few years ago, I got a ton of samples from them and I would have to say that probably 3 out of the 25 or so actually worked for me, and that's just not a good enough ratio for me to keep buying to figure out they are if they are duds in my application. 

Good idea!  I am going to be brave and mix 1 ouncers. Sometimes I do pour an ounce bottle into a 16 oz bottle of a similar scent.  The larger bottle doesn't really smell any different to me then because the ounce just 'gets lost' in the larger quantity of oil.

I'm with you on JS.  I ordered from there once. Have used two of the FO's, and couldn't stand either. One was Cashmere Glow.  I'm going to have to stop ordering such 'unique' fragrances for a special order for one customer.  

The only one I liked OOB is Chestnuts & Brown Sugar.  It smells buttery to me, and I'm going to put it into wax soon.

5 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Oh, I rarely use right out of bottle. I am devastated  because I use Peak in so many of my blends which usually have a multitude of components from various suppliers. Sorry I was not clear before, I meant I have a dozens of unused 1 oz Peak scents that I would never use in a blend now, because with the uncertainty of getting it again, I would not dare offer it,  being unable to recreate it again. I didn't know if anyone needed any of them. None are of any use to me anymore. :)

9 minutes ago, Moona13 said:

Oh, I rarely use right out of bottle. I am devastated  because I use Peak in so many of my blends which usually have a multitude of components from various suppliers. Sorry I was not clear before, I meant I have a dozens of unused 1 oz Peak scents that I would never use in a blend now, because with the uncertainty of getting it again, I would not dare offer it,  being unable to recreate it again. I didn't know if anyone needed any of them. None are of any use to me anymore. :)

After the 30 day probationary period, you can list them in the classifieds if you want. 

Or you can make "Limited Edition" blends and sell them that way, with the understanding to your consumers that once it's gone it's gone. 

I would say that 75% of my items are limited, because I just cannot see myself making the same things over and over and over again. I think I have like 5 or 6 blends that I offer all the time, the rest are all off the cuff and rarely repeated unless I absolutely fall in love with the blend and 'have to have it' in my line up - which is rare. This approach works well for me. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 3:07 PM, Moona13 said:

I am looking for Cinnamon Balsam also. I got a couple samples that I think are close...Re/Ah Cinnamon Spruce and Millcreeks Balsam  and Spice. Would you like me to send  sniffies to try to help you out?

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Love the Chestnuts n Brown Sugar! Huge seller for me along with JS Caramel Cinnamon Latte.

To be fair, I only ordered 4 FO's from Just Scent.  So didn't really get enough to judge their oils.  I didn't like Buttery Gingerbread at all.  I need to blend it with something.

I haven't put Bahama Mama in wax yet, because I have so many other tropical scents I like much better.  But who knows, it may smell better in wax than OOB.

3 hours ago, candlesncats said:

I am looking for Cinnamon Balsam also. I got a couple samples that I think are close...Re/Ah Cinnamon Spruce and Millcreeks Balsam  and Spice. Would you like me to send  sniffies to try to help you out?

That is sweet! Are they skin safe too?

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

After the 30 day probationary period, you can list them in the classifieds if you want. 

Or you can make "Limited Edition" blends and sell them that way, with the understanding to your consumers that once it's gone it's gone. 

I would say that 75% of my items are limited, because I just cannot see myself making the same things over and over and over again. I think I have like 5 or 6 blends that I offer all the time, the rest are all off the cuff and rarely repeated unless I absolutely fall in love with the blend and 'have to have it' in my line up - which is rare. This approach works well for me. 

Wish I could do that. I do do limited,  but I seem to need a lot of scents offered at once, and still not enough, then rotate and add new ones as I create them. I hear you about how tedious it is to remake the same thing, and my customers seem to have really sensitive noses so I alert them when ever I even change decants of natural batches in the components. Or it will upset some. I have been making some of my bends repeatedly for about 20 years now. And why I need to rely on the consistency in suppliers. Not like what Peak just did, after about ten years from ordering from them, really upsetting. 

Edited by Moona13

On 8/3/2017 at 0:15 PM, kfintoni said:

Karen in MA

I have some Bitter Almond from Sweetcakes and it smells, to me, just like Peak's Almond Pastries. I went back and forth between the bottles and could really not tell a difference.