Where do you store your fragrances?

I mentioned recently on another post that one of my fragrances (Cracklin' Birch from NG) appears to have lost its scent after only 5 months. I contacted them and was given the response that fragrances have a shelf life of 6-12 months. I bring it up again because I poured some test candles last week that have very little CT or HT. I used the Red Delicious Apple fragrance from NG at 8%. I made candles with this FO before and was able to produce great smelling candles. I just checked my bottle and it too seems to have lost most of its scent. I can barely smell any apple at all. I don't get it!

I'm now getting worried that I may not be storing fragrances properly. I keep them all in my basement (coolest, darkest place in my house) on a bookcase. They are kept inside large boxes, so no sunlight reaches them. Should I be storing them a different way?

I'm also starting to reconsider NG as a supplier. I smelled all of my other fragrances (from CS, Peak, and RE) and they all smell as they should.

• Like 1

I store mine in boxes on metal shelves in a back room out of the light in my temp controlled house. I've had some boxes of FOs going on 5-10 yrs still going strong.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. FOs can last for years or occasionally they just last for a few months. I find that the majority last for years if stored properly.

Sounds like you got a bottle from a bad batch.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

Sealed sterilite boxes in a basement. Temps stay relatively constant.

I too have some that are 5+ years old and are perfect. Some, in ldpe bottles especially, have gone rancid and get tossed. 

PET and Glass seem to work the best for my fragrances. 

• Like 2

Wow I have lots of NG fragrance oils and they are way older than 6-12 months.  So far they all smell fine.  I store mine in a drawer in my candle room.  I have some fo's that are over 5 years old from other suppliers and they are fine.  I will keep a close eye on the bottles of cracklin birch that I got a few months ago.  I hope NG's last longer or I too will have to reconsider NG...and I LOVE some of their FO's

I too have a lot of NG fragrances that are way over 1-2  years old and still holding strong.  I have several scents I only make on occasion and have not had any issues.  I'm thinking just a bad batch maybe.  I store mine on wire shelving in plastic storage boxes in a cool dark room.  Many still in the plastic bottles they came in as I don't have enough glass bottles for all of them.

• Like 2

I also have some that are well over 5 years old and are still good and strong, the only exception I have is anything with vanilla (they get stanky)  The fact that your other suppliers are still good I'd say it's a fluke especially since others have NG fragrances that are lasting a long time.  It sounds like you are storing them properly.   I would think that NG sells enough product that fo is not sitting on their shelf for very long.

When I lived in NM for 10 years, my oils were in a cabinet in the garage above my work area...pretty dang warm in there during the summer months and pretty damn cold during the winter months.  Oddly enough only a very few of my oils ever went bad!  And some were there for a few years.  Just goes to show you how some or most oils can take a lot of abuse.

Now that I am in the northeast, they are stored in the basement in a cabinet. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the fragrance. some just last a very long time. I have some oils that are very old, 5 years and plus, still going strong. I have others that smelled bad after a year so I tossed them

How do you get rid of FO that are not any good? I have put some of mine in wax fire starters, some I burned up with wood bon fires.Just wondering what everyone else does to dispose of old unusable oils.

16 minutes ago, Karen M said:

With bad rancid oils??? Oh boy!!!

Sorry.. misread your question. I just thought you asked what I do with oils I have too much of BEFORE they go bad. I make melts or other testers, etc.

Bad oils I throw out. Lol

You know sometimes I have to wonder if suppliers are ever concerned about their products. Instead of saying they should be good for 6-12 months or you're the first to ever complain (why I don't bother with one business, because somehow the smell of coconut really was sandalwood) instead of asking the customer how are you storing, where are you storing, why does it seem off to you ... and then I have to wonder how many suppliers try to stretch it a little ... perhaps the oil in their place has been there way too long. I don't know. 

Bottom line is it isn't always the buyer's fault. 

Edited by Scented

I have had a few smell different from purchase to purchase. Bonfire bliss was one I recall. One batch I could hardly smell anything. The next it smelled as expected. Other retailers have changed entire formulations without notice. Soap is a good medium for disclosing those secrets. ?

Some fragrances really need a good shake before decanting. one spicy blend I bought from TSW  you can see visible layers of separation between the cardamom and other spices. As a habit now I shake whenever I grab a bottle.