I made soy frame candles. What do you think?

I have never seen anything like this - how does this work or even burn for long and what do you do with the empty space inside....when you say frame I hope you don't mean to put a picture in there while burning 

interesting please tell us how this works 

i was concerned about using the word "frame" because I don't want people putting flammable objects in the middle. I will not use the word "frame" anymore. Thanks!

It burns for 1.5hrs. lol! more decorative and novelty

flyer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

I have never seen anything like this - how does this work or even burn for long and what do you do with the empty space inside....when you say frame I hope you don't mean to put a picture in there while burning 

interesting please tell us how this works 

I fill my empty space inside with Dove Dark Chocolate, and... video games... It doesn't really help, but I still do it... 

Don't judge me... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bathaway said:

i was concerned about using the word "frame" because I don't want people putting flammable objects in the middle. I will not use the word "frame" anymore. Thanks!

flyer.png

That's bloody brilliant! 

2 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

I fill my empty space inside with Dove Dark Chocolate, and... video games... It doesn't really help, but I still do it... 

Don't judge me... 

I do as well except this time of year I go for Cadbury dark chocolate eggs with the Krispy shells....at least 10 bags before Easter is over ? 

Then I go back to Dove...no video games just mindless tv shows 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bathaway said:

flyer.png

Very cool ? 

11 hours ago, bathaway said:

flyer.png

I'm looking at the pink frame that has burned down and there is a flame on the right and left side, so how does that happen when the picture of the frame before it is lit has only 1 wick?  It's really kind of neat the frame that has already burned is quite unusual.

Trappeur

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I'm looking at the pink frame that has burned down and there is a flame on the right and left side, so how does that happen when the picture of the frame before it is lit has only 1 wick?  It's really kind of neat the frame that has already burned is quite unusual.

Trappeur

There are 2 wicks in the middle. The 2 wicks split to each side!

As much as I enjoy seeing the creative process and a "twisty" new idea or concept, I can't help but to consider the various safety aspects of your very unique design. 

Are the columns stable so they won't topple?   Have you attempted this with harder waxes?  It's interesting, please don't take me wrong!

• Like 1

I've seen this done over the years but with different designs and sculptures and a whole lot more wicks so as each section burns and separates it has it's own wick. So depending on the design you can end up with several wicks or one wick burning as they reach new angles and split apart. Very cool!

Wish I could find the old video of the sculpture candle burning with all its wicks. Took 15 minutes from start to finish but it was a blast watching it. Seriously talented people out there!

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

As much as I enjoy seeing the creative process and a "twisty" new idea or concept, I can't help but to consider the various safety aspects of your very unique design. 

Are the columns stable so they won't topple?   Have you attempted this with harder waxes?  It's interesting, please don't take me wrong!

Thanks for your concern.

Safety is #1. I thickened it to 1.5 inches and made it under 6in tall, 4in base. It's more stable than a taper candle in a holder.

yes, the columns are stable. 

The wicks burn out before reaching the base.

I wanted the wicks to cross each other but I was afraid one wick will cross first and topple the second wick.

My only challenge is burn time. 1.5hrs is very fast! I'm using 

Square Braided Candle Wick (#3/0)

For 1/2" - 3/4" diam. tapers -

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I've seen this done over the years but with different designs and sculptures and a whole lot more wicks so as each section burns and separates it has it's own wick. So depending on the design you can end up with several wicks or one wick burning as they reach new angles and split apart. Very cool!

Wish I could find the old video of the sculpture candle burning with all its wicks. Took 15 minutes from start to finish but it was a blast watching it. Seriously talented people out there!

yes, unfortunately expensive too :(

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, bathaway said:

Thanks for your concern.

Safety is #1. I thickened it to 1.5 inches and made it under 6in tall, 4in base. It's more stable than a taper candle in a holder.

yes, the columns are stable. 

The wicks burn out before reaching the base.

I wanted the wicks to cross each other but I was afraid one wick will cross first and topple the second wick.

My only challenge is burn time. 1.5hrs is very fast! I'm using 

Square Braided Candle Wick (#3/0)

For 1/2" - 3/4" diam. tapers -

Your wick is far too large. I'd try a 5/0

On 3/27/2017 at 2:50 PM, Flicker said:

Your wick is far too large. I'd try a 5/0

Square Braided Candle Wick (#5/0)
For common type up to 2" diameter.
from candlechem.com

I switched to 28-24, Cotton, 2.90, 1/4"-3/4" dia. works better, very hard to find.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:43 PM, bathaway said:

Square Braided Candle Wick (#5/0)
For common type up to 2" diameter.
from candlechem.com

I switched to 28-24, Cotton, 2.90, 1/4"-3/4" dia. works better, very hard to find.

You were using a 3/0 which is far larger than a 5/0 originally. That info really isn't good that candle chem has. I sold that wick for years. WE used it for tapers (the 5/0), It burned about a 1/2" diameter or so in a soy taper

• Like 1